PDA

View Full Version : Post War Tragedy

Toadstool
20th Apr 2014, 13:47
http://rt.com/usa/special-ops-record-suicide-rate-536/

Such a damn shame. Having served with distinction, the war isn't over when they come back home.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Apr 2014, 16:38
Not just America

Canadian soldier suicides poorly tracked, veterans groups say - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-soldier-suicides-poorly-tracked-veterans-groups-say-1.2580500)

SpringHeeledJack
20th Apr 2014, 20:20
From the distance of a non military perspective, the way servicemen and women are treated after they have served their countries is disgraceful. Perhaps it's the nature of the beast that once you're used up, you're spat out and forgotten but to have gone through many brutalising experiences and then to acclimatise in civil life, well there's bound to be problems.

SHJ

Saltie
20th Apr 2014, 22:15
I think Australia has suffered more suicides among its Vietnam veterans than the nation lost KIA during the war. Whilst I agree that veterans are usually poorly treated on their return to civilian life, the Vietnam veterans hold a particular place of what I can only, in hindsight, call 'honour', for they weren't just ignored by society in general, but actively reviled by a large portion of that society, all of whom should - but I know are not - be deeply ashamed of their actions.

You know who you are. Not that many of you would be likely to be reading this site.

alisoncc
20th Apr 2014, 22:28
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot; Does anyone really expect anything to change?

jimtherev
20th Apr 2014, 22:36
Vietnam in particular: many of those who were clever/crafty/sly/rich enough to avoid the draft (or get it deferred) went onto positions of influence - e.g. politics - using precisely the same tricks that got 'em out of the services.
Then in just the place to actively sneer at / vilify those who did serve.
Tell someone (s)he's worthless enough times, and chances are (s)he'll believe it.