PDA

View Full Version : Veisalgia

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2014, 13:16
That's the common hangover to you or me and according to this interesting article in the Telegraph this chap says he can 'cure' them for a fee...

The hangover doctor who can cure you in 45 minutes - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/10772219/The-hangover-doctor-who-can-cure-you-in-45-minutes.html)

While this is all well and good there must be cheaper remedies out there (not drinking at all being the best and worst I guess)...

What's you recommendation for a remedy to the worst of hangovers...?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/Portrait_de_Suzanne_Valadon_par_Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec.jpg/230px-Portrait_de_Suzanne_Valadon_par_Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec.jpg

Caco

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2014, 13:18
I believe that gunpowder is effective.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2014, 13:20
I believe that gunpowder is effective.

Blowing oneself up is a bit extreme surely? ;)

Caco

Limeygal
20th Apr 2014, 13:22
In my yoof, I used to drink Pepsi. A three Pepsi hangover was a doozy!

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2014, 13:28
If you have experienced the Pepsi hangover then don't try neat Red Bull ... :ok:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/oyster_241.jpg

Caco

500N
20th Apr 2014, 13:30
Water and more water and then more water.
Sometimes with something sugary for energy.

I always take vitamins, often braking the tablet in half so take over time.

Food and a coffee / tea !!!

A shower plus fresh air and even a walk !!!

Food normally equals a good, hearty breakfast !!!

Lon More
20th Apr 2014, 13:37
Irn Bru

Irn Bru review: Inspector Rebus' Hangover Cure - YouTube

cavortingcheetah
20th Apr 2014, 13:46
Absinthe on the rocks, the real stuff made from wormwood, followed by an opium smoke and then a swim.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2014, 13:56
Absinthe on the rocks, the real stuff made from wormwood, followed by an opium smoke and then a swim.

Absinthe with wormwood certainly makes the blondes grow fonder but isn't it as illegal in the UK as Irn Bru is in Canada?

As for the rest it sounds like a fine cure...

Cheetah you are Aleistair Crowley as I am Caco!

Caco

Edited to say - I am behind the times...

From Wiki

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European
Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_law) food and beverage laws that removed longstanding barriers to its
production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe
were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland,
Australia, USA, Spain, and the Czech Republic.

Toadstool
20th Apr 2014, 14:32
1. Pint of water,ibuprofen and egg banjo.

wait 2 hours

2. A 3-5 mile run.

3. Pint of water.

4. A pint of ice cold Peroni.

dazdaz1
20th Apr 2014, 14:34
Can't beat a full English...........

http://imagepic.in/upload/images/SFHK.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Apr 2014, 14:44
Don't drink piss.

A night out on lovely real ale (I like 'em hoppy) from a small brewery who don't put anything in but the natural stuff beer should be made from will (in my experience) never induce a hang over.

If you drink something fizzy and chemic from a hideous plastic lit-up tap, you will get what comes with it - a stinking hang-over!

wings folded
20th Apr 2014, 14:54
Ah, I see you ordered the girly version. Only 4 mushrooms and one sausage...

dazdaz1
20th Apr 2014, 14:59
No no no Cavort, the full English should be washed down lashing of tea and followed with toast and marmalade.

Way to go:ok:

dazdaz1
20th Apr 2014, 15:02
Wingsfolded, how very very dare you. :suspect:

SpringHeeledJack
20th Apr 2014, 15:42
A dark brown taste
A burning thirst
A head that's ready to split and burst
No time for mirth
No time for laughter
The cold dark light of the morning after.

Water, something to mop up the acidic juices, something to give a bit of instant energy, some fresh air and bob's yer uncle.

SHJ

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2014, 17:17
Two pints of water before bed.

Glass of Coke on waking, for the sugar.

Huge toxic dump.

Brush teeth, shower.

Cold curry or a fry up.

Another massive toxic dump.

Another glass of coke with a pint of water.

Sleep.

500N
20th Apr 2014, 19:45
SRT

"Two pints of water before bed."

I have found that this has always worked for me and is more important than anything "post" in the morning as it has had the whole night to soak through the body.

con-pilot
20th Apr 2014, 19:56

That works, trust me. :\

Or, if not available, a good old greasy hamburger and real, made fresh french fries. And a chocolate* milk shake or malt.

Then drink a lot of water.

* Or the flavor that one perfers.

tony draper
20th Apr 2014, 20:10
If someone shouts it's time to get up for work shout back Feckoff!!and stay in bed until dinner time.
Worked for me.
:)

500N
20th Apr 2014, 20:28
If someone shouts it's time to get up for work shout back Feckoff!!and stay in bed until dinner time.
Worked for me.

A bit hard when you have a parade at 0600 hrs :O

God some of those were painful
- and I was the one doing the inspecting :O

SpringHeeledJack
20th Apr 2014, 21:07
I've just remembered, whilst in a sunny marine place some years back the dive master suggested I take a few lungfulls of oxygen and lo and behold all evidence of the previous night's sins were washed away.

SHJ

Donkey497
20th Apr 2014, 21:17
What is a hangover.............?

Thus far none have ever crossed my path, despite some rascally extensive drinkage sessions and wild combinations of fluids consumed. I can only sympathise with those afflicted.

This is only one of the many ways that I differ from the human norm... :eek:

At least it keeps my doc's life interesting.:ok:

parabellum
21st Apr 2014, 02:40
Considerable water before retiring is very important as the body is dehydrated and the jelly that surrounds the brain has started to dry out. Water at night helps re-hydrate the jelly, otherwise the brain banging against the skull causes a headache and most major joints in the body will hurt as well as the eyes being sore and aching.

Next morning the blood sugar levels will be down so the full English/American/Australian is the order of the day. Can't drink too much water.

Hydromet
21st Apr 2014, 03:48
Worked for me.But how do you avoid being woken by those sparrows stamping around on the lawn, in time with the throb of your head/

West Coast
21st Apr 2014, 03:57
SRT and 500N are on to something. Two big glasses of water, a few pills and sleep. Keep a bottle of water next to the bed (assuming you've made it to a bed)

Akrotiri71
21st Apr 2014, 08:39
Two ibuprofen & if you can stomach it, a cheveu du chien.

parabellum
21st Apr 2014, 13:05
Well if you do take pills make sure you avoid Aspirin and Paracetamol pills. An Aspirin pill and Alcohol residue mixing in the stomach can form an acid that may dissolve the stomach lining, ulcers can result. Paracetamol, in sufficient quantities, with alcohol, can cause kidney failure, even death, that is extreme but they do not make good partners in any quantity. Alka Seltzer used to be the Aspirin of choice the night before, as it is taken already dissolved.
Paracetamol the next morning, with food.

The above isn't just my bright idea, when in the services we would periodically get lectures on drinking!!! Did you know that if you can't remember the last day that you didn't have a drink you are in danger of becoming alcohol dependant?

cattletruck
21st Apr 2014, 13:30
Tripe soup. It works well enough that some countries have restaurants that cater for people returning from partying or clubbing.

I guess a big greasy burger or sausage is full of enough offal to have a similar effect too.

Lonewolf_50
21st Apr 2014, 14:37
Tripe soup. It works well enough that some countries have restaurants that cater for people returning from partying or clubbing. In southern Texas there is a Tex/Mex tradition of a similar soup called Manudo. A lot of people swear that it's a hangover cure.

My cure is simpler. One Alka Selzer package of two tablets, in about 12 oz of water if I had forgotten the glass of water and two aspirin before bed.

Once that is chugged down, a shower. If still tired, lie back down.
If not, breakfast. A cup of coffee only after the alka selzer has had a chance to get into gear.
I guess a big greasy burger or sausage is full of enough offal to have a similar effect too.
Bacon and eggs, with the eggs cooked in butter, seems to do just as well.

500N
21st Apr 2014, 15:51
Seems to me that everyone has had some pretty horrid hang overs.

So the question is, what has given people the worst hang over ?

I am not much of a drinker since I left school but after that, I could
cope with Bundy Rum hang overs OK but had a number of stinkers
that I could say were caused by Port.

For some reason, Port seemed to be the worst at dehydrating and
giving one a thumper of a head ache.

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2014, 16:09
Red wine and/or Port... thumping head juice...

Vodka just kills the brain cells so you wake up wondering why you feel so bad and then start making like a gold fish by looking at yourself in the mirror, forgetting and then doing it again... never once remembering that it was Vodka that put you in that aberrant fugue...!

Scrumpy cider... appalling hangover fuel, generally quaffed with undesirable sorts that sounded like pirates and called people "me lover" and who drove motorcycles in the years of Caco's yore or sore head...

The worst was a night on Mezcal in the US many years ago... I couldn't move for hours, truly dreadful hangover. Brings me out in a sweat just remembering it... have not been able to drink the stuff since. Just writing about it is turning my stomach...

Now where's my glass of mineral water....

Ah that's so much better...

Caco

AtomKraft
22nd Apr 2014, 02:16
My poor mum's not at all well and has been prescribed morphine. Not a huge dose thankfully.
She finds having a good gargle of red wine makes her feel better, in fact she's drinking quite a lot, but I would too if I had what she has.....

Anyway, the reason for this post is to record the fact that she doesn't seem to suffer at all from veisiglia or even hangovers and this is allegedly due to the morphine.

It's about the only good thing to be said about her condition, and I'm not sure I'd recommend taking smack for a hangover either....:sad:

Lonewolf_50
22nd Apr 2014, 14:43
I'm not sure I'd recommend taking smack for a hangover either....:sad: *Note to self: no smack for hangovers*

Much obliged Atom, one never knows what one will learn in JB. :ok:

Cacophonix
22nd Apr 2014, 15:05
"Opiates..."

Atomkraft it appears that your mom and cavortingcheetah, who wrote about an opium pipe and a good swim in the morning, are almost ad idem but I shan't dwell on this subject as clearly this is an extreme form of hangover cure or prophylactic and like the old gunpowder trope should not be considered by the uninitiated and is the purview of the (sadly in your mom's case) unwell or true desperadoes ... ;)

Caco

Akrotiri71
22nd Apr 2014, 15:20
I remember well the mother of all my hangovers. At 19 yrs old a pal & I embarked on polishing off a bottle and a half of Southern Comfort. Straight. I was ILL for 3 feckin' days! :yuk::yuk::yuk: Couldn't even keep water down. Must have come really close to alochol poisoning that day...:uhoh:

To this day, the smell of Southern Comfort makes me retch! I feel sick writing about it.

tony draper
22nd Apr 2014, 21:26
Finding a comfortable sleeping position is half the battle.:rolleyes:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/drunk_17.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/drunk_17.jpg.html)

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2014, 21:51
I remember well the mother of all my hangovers. At 19 yrs old a pal & I embarked on polishing off a bottle and a half of Southern Comfort. Straight. I was ILL for 3 feckin' days! Couldn't even keep water down. Must have come really close to alochol poisoning that day...

To this day, the smell of Southern Comfort makes me retch! I feel sick writing about it.

Same here, at the same age while at university and as you, to this day just the smell of Southern Comfort makes my stomach flip. Actually I should have gone to hospital that night.

But back then, nobody was that smart, not even at the university. :p

I didn't touch booze again for at least a year, not even beer.

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 21:54
Likewise, apart from Pissed from Port at Army functions,
the two worst for me were Southern and Bundy Rum.

At one stage I could drink neither.

sitigeltfel
23rd Apr 2014, 10:35
My first hangover was from drinking the contents of a beer pump slops tray at the age of four. The worst was around twenty years ago after a beer festival.
All those half pints of different beers soon added up........then we got to the Orkney Skull Splitter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Breweries).

Nuff said :ooh: