PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia Indonesia, Patched up wing?

donfuego
20th Apr 2014, 10:18
Hi, I'm new in the forum and apologize in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

I Recently flew with Air Asia Indonesia QZ8496 from Bali to Singapore. I'm obviously not a professional but I think it is a A320 Airbus. Sitting just behind the left wing I could not help to spot what looked to me as a patch job on the wings (flaps?) which by the looks of it have been sitting there for a while and had what looks like a large crack or tear on the part closest to the fuselage.

Is this something to worry about? Why does the wing look patched up in the first place? I fly with AA-Indonesia every few months but this has me questioning whether they are safe or not.

Here's the photo I snapped from my window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t018fv2oyvptr9x/QZ8496.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Tinwacker
20th Apr 2014, 15:24
Now don't worry yourself.....

Next time you fly you will see the same patches on A320's and similar on other aircraft.
Theses patches are rub or wear strips placed on the flaps upper surface.
Chafing of the flaps by the spoilers or trailing edge wing extensions is permitted while using sacrificial paint or thin stainless steel plates bonded to the wing.
Looking across from the inner flap to outer you can clearly see were the chafing has polished the wear plates.
The 'crack' on the inner flap appears to be a collection of grease, oil and atmospheric dirt at the point of flap to wing contact.
Hope that is what you are looking for??:ok:

S.o.S.
20th Apr 2014, 16:06
Hi, donfuego, and welcome to the PPRuNe. You have asked your question in exactly the right forum and Tinwacker has given the kind of good answer you can expect. Many people read this forum, not least those who are nervous of flying and this kind of information is very helpful to them.

sunnybunny
24th Apr 2014, 19:12
Many years ago, 37 to be precise, I was flying with North West Airlines from Gatwick to Boston on a DC10.

I was amused to see different coloured panels on the wings where repairs had been done and a line with the wording 'Do not Step Here' and a set of oily footprints going right across it!

Despite problems getting the engines to start we got there in the end.

donfuego
25th Apr 2014, 07:00
Hi guys and thank you for the warm welcome :)

I suspected it was nothing to worry about but since Indonesian airlines are a bit, well, i guess abysmal is a proper word, when it comes to safety records, and i'm currently located in the area, so i thought i might ask.

Any opinions on Air Asia Indonesia in general? I know many domestic airlines here use pilots with questionable training working overtime in poorly maintained aircrafts. :bored:

Amelia_Flashtart
27th Apr 2014, 09:19
Air Asia Indonesia is owned by a very wealthy Malaysian businessman and the group as a whole has an excellent reputation. Far better to be flying with them than Lion, Merpati etc

Tinwacker
30th Apr 2014, 10:24
Donfuego

Welcome to PPRuNE and a taste of what is to come with future questions and hopefully reasonable answers to digest...:ok: