PDA

View Full Version : Mountain flying guide

topik22
19th Apr 2014, 19:22
Hello,
I would like to ask about help:
I'm preparing myslef to fly in mountain areas so I'm looking for any guide about mountain flying.
PM or link.
Greets and thanks
Jacek

douglasheld
19th Apr 2014, 20:55
Would like to hear about books too, but my first recommendation is a couple hours with an instructor.

newfieboy
19th Apr 2014, 21:56
Try Canadian in Penticton, BC. They should have what you need.

canadianhelicopters.com/services/flight-training/

mdovey
19th Apr 2014, 22:25
In terms of books, you may wish to look at Helicopter Pilot's Manual: Mountain Flying and Advanced Techniques by Norman Bailey.

It isn't a substitute for proper training though.

Matthew

topik22
20th Apr 2014, 06:52
Thanks a lot,
before flying I need a book:)
Greets
Jacek

20th Apr 2014, 09:55
Revise your knowledge of Density Altitude and how it affects the performance of your helicopter.

Find some internet information about visual illusions caused by lack of visual horizon.

Sharpen up your instrument flying - mountain flying is a visual/instrument balance because of the second point above.

Revise your meteorological knowledge, especially regarding wind (gradient, katabatic, anabatic etc)

Think about the air as a fluid - when faced with the mountain terrain, try to visualise how a large bucketful of water would swirl around the various features and be aware that the upwind feature will influence the wind's effects on any features close downwind.

Have a pre-planned escape route (low level) in case you are caught out by the weather, it's often very changeable in the mountains and going IMC in that environment is very scary!

Enjoy the view:ok:

Flyting
20th Apr 2014, 18:47
Good Aviation Practice (GAP) Booklets (http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/good_aviation_practice.htm)

Shawn Coyle
21st Apr 2014, 17:48
crab:
Hate to be pedantic, but for turbines, it's not density altitude - PA +OAT is the correct answer, 9,000'PA and -40°C is the same DA as 2,000PA and +40°C.

21st Apr 2014, 19:01
Shawn, I'm sure you are right but I wasn't just thinking engines, more along the lines of TR authority, lively Nr and high pitch angles for hovering OGE.

The rough guide to DA we have always used is DA = PA plus or minus 120T where T is the difference between ISA and the real world temperature in degrees C assuming a lapse rate of 2 deg/1000'. That gives 4560 and 5240 respectively for your examples.

However, the Easyweigh program we use for performance, using your figures, gives DAs of 4243' for 9000' -40 and 5244' for 2000' +40.

What calculation are you using?

topik22
22nd Apr 2014, 06:04
Thanks a lot,
Jacek

Shawn Coyle
22nd Apr 2014, 14:41
crab:
Rough order of magnitude calcs only to show turbine pilots that power available is not, repeat not, a function of density altitude.

DOUBLE BOGEY
23rd Apr 2014, 07:05
Topik22 PM me with your email address and I will send you a Mountain Flying Guide.

DB