PDA

View Full Version : Ad block, safe downlosd sites ?

coldair
19th Apr 2014, 18:16
Would someone be so kind as to let me know of a safe site to download Ad block from ?

I'm using XP Internet Explorer. Ad block was working perfectly until I downloaded a Java 'update' .

Many thanks,

coldair

mixture
19th Apr 2014, 20:05
Erm, what's wrong with the adblock website itself ? :confused:

coldair
19th Apr 2014, 20:18
Thanks Mixture.

I tried that but all I get is ;

Oops! Page Not Found
Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.

So any other advice would be appreciated :)

ericlday
19th Apr 2014, 20:51
https://adblockplus.org/ works as I have just tried it, best of luck.

Apology if advertising not allowed.

goudie
19th Apr 2014, 21:12
I've just downloaded that site, restarted and the programme is installed but I'm still getting ads. Am I missing something?

JasonAlexMoore
19th Apr 2014, 22:12
Hi goudie,

It's probably because Windows XP's Internet Explorer is outdated. Is there any reason why you object using a much more upgraded and reliable browser such as Google Chrome? You can grab a free Adblocker for Chrome, and you'll probably notice an increase in website compatibility support for the new HTML5 that IE fails to support, (in most cases).

JM

goudie
20th Apr 2014, 09:17
Jason, thanks for your response. I should have explained that I have windows 8.1 on my new notebook which comes with chrome and internet explorer, but I prefer using the ordinary google. I downloaded adblock ok but then it disappeared for some reason.

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2014, 09:52
Am I missing something?

You have to configure it to use a block list, IIRC.

SD

lomapaseo
20th Apr 2014, 15:40
You have to configure it to use a block list, IIRC.

What is this ?

goudie
20th Apr 2014, 18:25
I've downloaded adblock now, via chrome and it works!
But only if I browse using chrome, which isn't a problem

Saab Dastard
20th Apr 2014, 21:12
When I first installed AdBlockPro into FF, way back many years ago, I had to select a block list: there was no default selected. It's quite possible that there is now a default block list, so that you can be "up and running" after installation without further configuration. I just haven't installed ABP for ages.

SD