PDA

View Full Version : One man worthy of a high award ?

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:32
We on JB often jump up and down over awards to people when we think
others are far more deserving.

Simon Weston, a Welsh Guard severely injured during the Falklands War has for many years tirelessly worked for others in a similar situation
with great courage and become a real ambassador for the forces and charities for many, many (25+) years.

Fellow JetBlasters

Many of us on the military forum are trying to get Simon nominated for a Knighthood.

All we need is your electronic vote for a very worthy cause so if you could take 2 minutes to vote, this would be appreciated.

SIGN HERE to help us get Simon a gong !
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-prime-minister-award-a-knighthood-to-simon-weston?recruiter=45898471&utm_campaign=mailto_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

If you feel like it, please promote the link via any other social media sites.

Thank you in anticipation :ok:

If you want to read more on him, this is his wiki link.
Simon Weston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Weston)

(This all started because of a thread on the "People's portrait" that was painted of him and hung in the UK.
If you want to read more, here is the link. http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/537887-peoples-portrait.html)

Keef
18th Apr 2014, 19:42
I'd gladly sign, but that link is to "who is he" rather than to a "Give Simon a gong".

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:45
Keef

Thanks for that, have changed the order of the links :ok:

Capetonian
18th Apr 2014, 19:47
There was an error submitting your form. Please try again later

superq7
18th Apr 2014, 19:50
Signed and thanks for putting it up 500, cheers Stuart.

Akrotiri71
18th Apr 2014, 19:51
Signed! :ok: Great bloke.

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:53
Thanks guys, much appreciated :ok:

pigboat
18th Apr 2014, 20:27
I'm in. :ok:

A bit of a caveat. Don't be surprised if you begin to receive email messages from Change dot org asking for support for various causes.

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 20:35
Pigboat,

Easily diverted to your junk Mail if it becomes tedious. Smashing response from the JB set! already jumped by around 15.

Smudge :ok:

10Watt
18th Apr 2014, 20:45
Me too, but will wait until morning.

I remember the follow on.

Sir Mick Jagger and the rest of the nondescripts are pointless.

Sir Simon makes sense to me.

10Watt
18th Apr 2014, 22:53
Got off my fat arse number 90.

We`ll see.

500N
19th Apr 2014, 04:27
Sir Simon suits him.

Only need a few more votes.

AtomKraft
19th Apr 2014, 05:26
Done it. :ok:

parabellum
19th Apr 2014, 05:46
I was # 97.

V2-OMG!
19th Apr 2014, 05:50
Will do! :ok:

scubawasp
19th Apr 2014, 06:03
added my signature

Capetonian
19th Apr 2014, 07:55
I am still getting an error when trying to submit the form.

Perhaps they don't like what I've written ......... that people who scream into microphones or kick balls around do not merit knighthoods, people like Simon Weston who are heroic and inspirational do.

500N
19th Apr 2014, 13:01
Cape

Not sure why you are having problems.

Thanks to all those who have voted so far :ok: :D

Please spread the word.

mixture
19th Apr 2014, 17:08
At the risk of putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

Whilst I have every respect for Mr Weston and what he's been through and what he continues to go through, I note from his website that he has already achieved formal recognition through an OBE back in 1992 and also Freedom of the City of Liverpool. In addition to having a decent media profile and running a successful business...

So I'm not quite sure what a Knighthood would do to his profile that he hasn't already been able to achieve already in his apparently quite successfull post-military career ?

I'm sure there are others in the armed forces and elsewhere who would be excellent recipients of a mere OBE.... perhaps we need to share the love and create petitions for new nominations rather than just adding additional letters fore/aft of those who already have a reasonable amount of recognition and media profile.

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 19:05
Well Mixture, where do we start ?

Unlike many awarded the OBE (Other Buggers Efforts) Simon Weston has spent many years trying to help people afflicted by injuries similar to those he received in the Falklands. Unlike many who own that particular award, he hasn't done it by getting a win at the Olympics, and certainly not from being the "poster girl" of an Olympics campaign. To my best knowledge he has not released a "world beating single" and to his credit has never appeared in "Corrie or Neighbours". Secondly, the award of a Knighthood to Simon Weston, would not only recognise his contribution to disfigured and injured service and civilian victims, but, would add to the exposure of his work, and to the organisations he supports. I suspect that's it for him, it's not about him, which makes it different to most of the other "celebrity" recipients.

I suspect that if you honestly try to justify the award to well known cyclists (a clue, Sir Bradley and Sir Chris) you would struggle to understand the merits of their award, and certainly the awards to "Sir Jimmy and Sir Cyril" might require some justification , in hindsight. Unlike you, with this petition, I have no such struggle. The man is a hero, has devoted his life to helping similarly afflicted people, and deserves recognition. Perhaps you have a different understanding of service, I'm sorry, I don't.

Smudge

Limeygal
19th Apr 2014, 20:39
Signed :ok:

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 21:46
Well done Limeygal, you've just pushed the number beyond 220, and thank you. Lets get it really going now, tell your friends and ask them to drum up support, surely, this is people power at work. Keep at it 500N., a truly worthy cause.

Smudge:ok:

Neptunus Rex
19th Apr 2014, 21:50
Signed with great respect and admiration.
Neppie

ExSp33db1rd
20th Apr 2014, 00:07
Done, worthy cause, never sure why footballers are so honoured, it's only a game, and one has to spend and arm and a leg to go and watch anyway !!

gunbus
20th Apr 2014, 09:31
An award long overdue, petition signed

500N
20th Apr 2014, 11:25
Thanks guys and gals, much appreciated.

Here is the link again so you don't have to go to the front page.

SIGN HERE to help us get Simon a gong !
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...share_petition (https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-prime-minister-award-a-knighthood-to-simon-weston?recruiter=45898471&utm_campaign=mailto_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition)

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2014, 11:44
Signed.

Had the great pleasure of meeting him in Cardiff some years ago. Charming chap and clearly a far more deserving candidate than some of whom have been so honoured.

Caco

Impress to inflate
20th Apr 2014, 13:10
Just signed it, about time he was knighted, I have far more time for heroes like him than some E list celeb who last opened a village fate in 1988.

Dak Man
20th Apr 2014, 13:16
Done and spread the word

Russell Gulch
20th Apr 2014, 21:54
Against the majority, I will echo Mixture's sentiment.

I admire Mr Weston for all his efforts, but I cannot see how a Knighthood will help him or his cause.

I do agree with many that issuing gongs to media riff-raff has gone too far.

Russ

(As a civilian in Mombasa in 1982, I was an invited guest on HMS Sheffield when the call to duty was received, so I have empathy with Falkland veterans).

ExSp33db1rd
21st Apr 2014, 03:44
...........but I cannot see how a Knighthood will help him or his cause.

Why does it have to help his cause, or even him now, it's a personal thank you as much for past efforts as anything else, and in this case well deserved IMHO.

If Charities think that a "Celebrity" will make them more "visible", that's one thing, but does it matter if that Celeb. has a handle to their name or not ? I for one will have absolutely nothing to do with any charity using "Sir" David Beckham as their figurehead.

but then ..... that's just me I guess, each to his own.

smujsmith
21st Apr 2014, 08:05
Russ,

My understanding in the awarding of such an honour, is the recognition of many years of service and work, often beyond the norm. For that reason a knighthood usually tended to be awarded towards or at the end of someone's long career, diplomats and civil servants for instance. It strikes me that politicians have hijacked the award, in an effort to ingratiate themselves with the supporters of a particular celebrity, who often has done little but what they set out to do anyway, win a medal in an athletics competition etc. in doing this, the politicians have degraded the status of the Honour causing many to feel, as I do, that it should only be awarded where longevity of effort is part of the reason for its award. In this case, I suspect the award would help organisations and charities who Simon Weston himself supports and works with.

Smudge

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2014, 08:09
Smudge

A perfect exegesis of what such awards should be about and how the process and spirit has been corrupted and co-opted by the dross that we call politicians today...

Caco

smujsmith
8th May 2014, 21:39
600 signatures now Gentlemen, thank you all for the support you have shown. I'm keeping it live until the end of May, in the hope that we can get nearer to 1000. Anyone who can ask contacts to support this I thank in advance. I'm sure that Simon Weston has done, and suffered enough to deserve the thanks of our nation.

Smudge

socrates
8th May 2014, 21:51
Smudge.

Have you posted this on ARRSE (http://www.arsse.co.uk)?

I imagine you'd reach your target and no doubt exceed it in quick order too.

Good cause, have voted. :ok::ok:

Keef
8th May 2014, 21:53
Just found it again, and signed.
ARRSE sounds like a good idea.

500N
8th May 2014, 22:03
I think Smudge mentioned on the other thread in Military that he had
put it up on ARRSE.

mixture
9th May 2014, 09:50
(Thank you to Russell Gulch for the kind words of support :cool:)

In this case, I suspect the award would help organisations and charities who Simon Weston himself supports and works with.

smujsmith,

I think you must realistically realise deep down inside that simply handing out "a gong" to Mr Weston won't do anything.... he's already got an OBE and is well recognised etc. (as outlined in my original post).

I think deep down you know that the only thing that would "help organisations and charities who Simon Weston himself supports and works with" would be something known as .... money. Just adding more letters after someone's name on a piece of paper is, in the harsh reality of this world, going to achieve naff all.... and no, I doubt it will help very much with fundraising efforts given the vast number of charities out there all competing for the same pool of cash, many of whom already have OBEs, knights, royalty, celebs making noise for their cause.

600+ people giving a tenner (or more) to his charities would be a much more constructive use of everyones time.

lasernigel
9th May 2014, 10:58
Signed a lot of respect for him.:ok:

Ex squaddie myself who volunteered for the Falklands but refused as my trade not needed there.

Smeagol
9th May 2014, 11:39
Signed

Far more worthy than the sports 'personalities' and time served civil servants who usually get gongs.

500N
9th May 2014, 21:35
Good to see it going well :ok:

smujsmith
9th May 2014, 23:32
Mixture #39,

"I think you must realistically realise deep down inside that simply handing out "a gong" to Mr Weston won't do anything.... he's already got an OBE and is well recognised etc. (as outlined in my original post).

I think deep down you know that the only thing that would "help organisations and charities who Simon Weston himself supports and works with" would be something known as .... money. Just adding more letters after someone's name on a piece of paper is, in the harsh reality of this world, going to achieve naff all.... and no, I doubt it will help very much with fundraising efforts given the vast number of charities out there all competing for the same pool of cash, many of whom already have OBEs, knights, royalty, celebs making noise for their cause.

600+ people giving a tenner (or more) to his charities would be a much more constructive use of everyones time."

Thanks for that, your obvious knowledge of my own thinking "deep down inside" (even my wife struggles with that, and she has been married to me for 40 years) and indicative of your lack of credibility in the honours system. No doubt, your disdain for such awards extends to many who are or were holders of such distinction (Sir Winston Churchill perhaps). Of course we could all donate money to charities supported by Mr Weston, and I'm sure they would be grateful, but would we do it again next month? A policy of short term gain I think. My proposition is that firstly, if you look at recent awards of knighthoods (Wiggins being a prime example) Simon Weston has served his country, been seriously injured, undergone some seriously painful medical treatment, and importantly, has put the life that that treatment gave him to good use for good causes. And continues to do so. Secondly, such an award would surely attract sponsorship of service and civilian charities, who use his name, from those more impressed by title than you are. I have no doubt in your honest belief that the awards system is a waste of time, that only reinforces my argument that these awards should only be done after years of continuous work of merit, worthy of such an award. For me, winning a bike race just doesn't cut it. But Simon Weston supports people who help many ex servicemen who like me ended their careers with medical discharges and ruined lives, he has gone through a lot since 1982 and 32 years is far more worthy than a medal or two in bicycle racing. I respect your opinion, it's your right, and people like Simon Weston have suffered to give you your right to that opinion, I only ask that you consider whether it's really down to donating a bit of money, or recognising real British heroes' and their contribution to our society.

Smudge

MissPlaced
10th May 2014, 07:05
361 to go, after me. :O

Exascot
10th May 2014, 08:45
500N, my name added. However is it possible to change the name of this thread? I just hit on it by mistake. If I had realised what it was all about before I would have taken earlier action.

smujsmith
10th May 2014, 19:29
ExAscot,

Good point, perhaps "Simon Weston - a life of service" might get some attention. I'm sure if 500N can change anything he will. Maybe the mods can help.

Smudge

500N
10th May 2014, 19:57
I'll have a look guys.

If not, I'll send a PM to a mod and ask them if they can do it.

500N
10th May 2014, 20:00
Doesn't seem to allow me to change the thread title.

Smudge - or anyone

If you know a mod well, by all means send them a PM yourself
asking to change it with my OK (considering it was your idea :O)

I haven't seen Whooligan around lately ?????

fernytickles
10th May 2014, 20:06
Signed, & shared on Facebook.

smujsmith
11th May 2014, 22:02
500N,

I can't take credit for the idea. I don't think I know any Mods either. Lets just hang in there and hope "in gliding terms" the rescue thermal comes along and give's us the boost we need. Thanks to all the Jet Blasters who have supported this, I hope we can get to 1000 then I will copy all comments etc, and send them to No10 with the official form. Keep telling your friends, I'm determined to get this through as an award of the people.

Smudge :ok:

Exascot
12th May 2014, 05:44
Sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest. Sorry I do not know how to do it either. I have had contact with a mod in the past though let me see if I can dig up a contact address.

500N
12th May 2014, 05:49
Exa

Not at all, I thought it was a damn good suggestion and when I posted this thread on behalf of Smudge, I should have thought of it.

I haven't seen Wholigan around so don't know if he would get a PM.

If you can get a mod to change it, great and thanks.

Exascot
13th May 2014, 09:01
Working on it. Where are the b:mad:s when you need them? Probably on the missing 777 thread.

500N
13th May 2014, 09:08
Thanks