PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my CPL in South Africa?

nhorley
15th Sep 2001, 13:52
I'm thinking about the above. Beyond the obvious point of making sure that one's quals match one's intended employment, does anyone have anything to say about training in South Africa, specifically at George? My initial observations are that it's as cheap as Florida - maybe even cheaper - and a fine place to spend a year of one's life.

15th Sep 2001, 15:14
George is as good a place as any to do your training. There are a number of these full-time training schools in SA and perhaps you could look into a few more of them.

If you're planning on returning to Europe afterwards and converting to JAA-FCL, then I'd think twice about going to SA. Perhaps you'd be better off heading down to Spain...? ;)

TikkiRo
15th Sep 2001, 21:31
I can highly recommend 43rd Airschool in Port Alfred, down on the coast between Port Elizabeth and East London. It's a residential site that normally holds over 100 students for all the main qualifications. I completed most of my PPL training there over the summer, and found it a wonderful place to be - the atmosphere was excellent as were the services. They have 20 fulltime instructors and 20 planes including a twin Seneca and often have many other unusual planes either on site or visiting. Any other requirements e.g. Cessna ratings, can be organised in PE if required, as the school has mainly Piper planes. If you're interested in following this up, email me privately - I can provide you with LOADS of info/photos - or visit their website for an initial checkout - http://www.imaginet.co.za/43airschool/today.htm

It's supposed to be THE best school in ZA - many of the large airlines, including BA send their pilots there to get their CPL/ATPLs.

Good luck with your quest regardless.
TR

rolling circle
15th Sep 2001, 23:48
nhorley - If you are thinking of flying in Europe, you have answered your own question when you said "Beyond the obvious point of making sure that one's quals match one's intended employment". A non JAA CPL gained in SA will be as useful in Europe as a non-JAA CPL gained anywhere else.

The SRG website is down at the moment so I can't check but I believe that there is only one school in SA that is anywhere near being approved for JAA CPL training. Called something like the Flying College of South Africa, it's run by an ex-CAA Flight Examiner and Flight Ops Inspector. I have no idea what courses they offer, you will need to check on the SRG website when it's back on line.

43rd Air School is not approved for JAA training and BA most certainly do not send their pilots there. BA trains only at Oxford, Western Michigan, Jerez and ATP Academy. Beware of inaccurate sales pitches masquerading as helpful information.

If your intended career is in SA, you have your choice of schools.

TikkiRo
16th Sep 2001, 00:27
Please don't accuse me of masquerading as anything other than sincere, RC - I was there and saw the BA guys myself while there. There are a lot of other well known airlines who also send their people there, and while admittedly, it may not have the JAA component, it is still a school of high reputation. I have no affiliation with the school other than as a past PPL student - so have nothing to do with 'sales' pitches as you put it. If anything, I'm shocked at the tone of your note in respect of my own - all I did was what the board is for - gave my own views on a good school - up to the reader to make their own mind up - even gave the website address, so he could view it for himself and therefore read their blurb - not mine if he wished. Perhaps you have some ulterior motive yourself in your own recommendation?? :confused:

TR

Token Bird
16th Sep 2001, 01:02
The school mentioned above is the Flight Training College of South Africa. They are currently approved to do JAA PPL, ATPL ground and ME ratings.

As for doing a non-JAR licence then converting, check out the CAA website for the exact details. I was considering doing the same thing, but in Australia. I concluded that I would save very little money and it would take more time due to having to repeat the entire IR.

Midland Maniac
16th Sep 2001, 14:41
At the FTO that I am at, there are currently 3 people who attained a CPL and ATPL in South Africa who are now converting to a JAR Licence. They will tell you that they spent a lot of money in SA for a licence that was not worth the paper it was written on in the UK!! The conversion course is just as expensive as doing it in this country in the first place!

If you email me I can put you in touch with those people if you want it from the 'horses mouth'

MM :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chris2
16th Sep 2001, 18:27
Did my CPL/IR at 43 and can give them the 'thumbs up' !!

I know that BA Comair are starting their own cadet scheme using 43 Air School.

Cheers
Chris

USE THE RUDDERS
17th Sep 2001, 14:32
Just finished CPL in SA and deciding at present wheather to convert or go back out and work as there's jobs out there.If you need advice on schools or any of my experience's please feel free to contact me by email.

bigjarv
23rd Sep 2001, 16:08
Token Bird,

I am very interested in the flight school in SA that does the JAA recognised course. I am just wondering if you have the web site address. I can't seem to find them.

Hope you see this and can help. If so thanx!

M