PDA

View Full Version : Alice Roberts an acceptable successor to David Attenborough?

alisoncc
18th Apr 2014, 07:27
Quite a few doco's on the box recently narrated by Prof. Alice Roberts - Dinosaurs, Ice Age, etc. and been quite impressed by her style. Seems quite knowledgeable and I can actually listen to her without needing to turn the sound off. With David getting probably passed it in the near future, would like to feel that Alice will succeed him. Not necessarily with regard to wild life as such, but as a narrator worth listening to.

UniFoxOs
18th Apr 2014, 07:59
And looking at.

handsfree
18th Apr 2014, 08:03
Couldn't agree more ...... with both of you.

603DX
18th Apr 2014, 10:22
Sorry, but however well-informed, presentable and agreeable other TV pundits may be, there is absolutely NO substitute or natural successor to David Attenborough. He is quite unique in my opinion, and although a little creaky due to anno domini, is certainly not yet "past it".

When he eventually succumbs, as we all must, he will be genuinely mourned by millions worldwide. Some individuals are irreplaceable, and he is one of those rare luminaries, able to inspire, inform and entertain with his deceptively easy, friendly manner.

tony draper
18th Apr 2014, 10:36
Seems to be a awful lot of TV faces jumping on the Documentary bandwagon at the moment,enthusiasm is no replacement for real Knowledge of the subject covered,some can manage it others are obviously just reading from a script.
:)

racedo
18th Apr 2014, 12:17
Saw her first a couple of years ago when she was doing wild swimming in Rivers, pleasant to look at and listen to. Would be a good successor.

vulcanised
18th Apr 2014, 12:37
Totally agree with Mr 603.

There are doubtless others who could do a decent job, but never replace Sir David.

Noah Zark.
18th Apr 2014, 13:17
Alice is a fine lady! I first became aware of her doing some work in that excellent series, 'Coast'.
As said above, she is thoroughly knowledgeable in many subjects, and very highly educated, and totally easy on the eye!
All hail Sir David, but when he's finally had enough, Alice is our man!

Blues&twos
18th Apr 2014, 15:04
I'm absolutely with 603DX and vulcanised on this one. :ok:

Hydromet
18th Apr 2014, 23:54
She doesn't have Sir David's voice, but she has a damned good one of her own. Also very knowledgable and easy to watch.

Saltie
19th Apr 2014, 00:11
Coast, or at least the Australian series, brought another very alluring piece of thinking man's eye candy to the fore - the exotically named Xanthe Mallett. Easy on the eye and with a brain to match the looks. I hope age gets herself more gigs on the teeve.

I agree re Prof Alice. Comes across as a very knowledgeable lady.

Tarq57
19th Apr 2014, 03:17
Sorry, but however well-informed, presentable and agreeable other TV pundits may be, there is absolutely NO substitute or natural successor to David Attenborough. He is quite unique in my opinion, and although a little creaky due to anno domini, is certainly not yet "past it".

When he eventually succumbs, as we all must, he will be genuinely mourned by millions worldwide. Some individuals are irreplaceable, and he is one of those rare luminaries, able to inspire, inform and entertain with his deceptively easy, friendly manner.
This is spot on.

All I'd add is that the man exudes passion for what he does. His interest and amazement concerning the miracle of nature inspires all who watch his shows.

Some of the best quality media available IMO.

Andu
19th Apr 2014, 03:51
He's committed himself a little too passionately to the global warming... sorry... climate change band wagon for my taste. Alice Roberts, I've only seen in the Coast Australia series. She was a very agreeable presence on screen and seemed to know her stuff.

acbus1
19th Apr 2014, 08:19
Alice Roberts - Nope.

Brian Cox - Nope.

Both great in their own ways, but not Attenborough successors.

Keep looking.

Ditto for Fred Dibnah (steeplejack, before he became scripted), Geoff Hamilton (Gardener's World), James Hunt (as an F1 commentator and much needed Hurry Talker antidote), Lawrence Olivier (esp. World at War), Karen Carpenter, John Betjeman, Billy Connolly etc etc.

You can never replace such people - it just doesn't work like that.

B Fraser
19th Apr 2014, 09:48
You can add Sir Patrick Moore to that list. For history programmes, Dr Mary Beard is absolutely brilliant.

Rather than holding beauty contests for TV presenters, we would do far better if we looked for people hidden away in universities. We need excellent communicators who have a passion for their subject and who refuse to dumb down their scripts.

tony draper
19th Apr 2014, 09:57
The best one to do a Fred Dibnah type series to date was Mark Williams,he of the fast show,the others are typical TV fodder, pretended ignorance of how something is done when a three year old could figure it out then a fumbling attempt to do it themselves and a self effacing apology for their clumsiness hoping that will somehow endear them to the bloody audience.
I like that Lucy Worstned(sp?) she has a impishness about her,but of course her bag is History.
:)

Dr Jekyll
19th Apr 2014, 10:32
Rather than holding beauty contests for TV presenters, we would do far better if we looked for people hidden away in universities. We need excellent communicators who have a passion for their subject and who refuse to dumb down their scripts.

Alice Roberts is a qualified medical doctor and a professor of Anthropology, so presumably she was hidden away in a university at one time.

Loki
19th Apr 2014, 10:39
Charlotte Uhlenbroek seems to know her stuff, with a pleasant presenting style. Haven't seen her on 't box for a while, presumably out of favour with the BBC hierarchy.

Effluent Man
19th Apr 2014, 10:45
Yes,Lucy Worsley MrD.I share your enthusiasm.A very spirited and well informed young thing (Actually over 40-that surprised me!)

vulcanised
19th Apr 2014, 12:41
Kate Hunble is a good presenter who doesn't go in for airs and graces.

Down to earth, and a good experience of various animals.

B Fraser
19th Apr 2014, 13:26
Kate "anything but" Humble, you must be joking. What exactly is her area of expertise ?

Alice Roberts is a qualified medical doctor and a professor of Anthropology, so presumably she was hidden away in a university at one time.

The Dr title is a bit of a giveaway however she's not in Sir David's league. I will admit though that she's head and shoulders above Neil "international man of history" Oliver. He's so far up his own orifice, I reach for the off button as soon as he says "the people of these islands". A bloody good haircut would not do him any harm.

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/img/Author%20images/Author%20images%20N-Q/Neil%20Oliver-1x3a.jpg

Evanelpus
19th Apr 2014, 13:35
Kate Humble is anything but humble, trust me, I know first hand!

RedhillPhil
19th Apr 2014, 14:17
Yes,Lucy Worsley MrD.I share your enthusiasm.A very spirited and well informed young thing (Actually over 40-that surprised me!)

She was on the One show a couple of evenings ago promoting her new series on the Georgians. Now blonde and much better styled - I wonder if she's got a new man?
Bloody good presenter and there's definitely something "naughty" about her.

4mastacker
19th Apr 2014, 15:56
There's a thread over on Arrse about certain qualities held by various academics. Dr Alice seems to be the most ...errr...'popular'. Lucy Worsley also gets a few mentions and after seeing her on the BBC the other night, would agree that she could be a serious contender Dr Alice still gets my vote.

alisoncc
19th Apr 2014, 23:53
Why is it that some people are emminently listenable to, whereas others you reach for the mute button the moment their speech waves hit your ears?

Sports commentators with their pensive pauses, melodramatics and high-pitched gasps immediately get turned off. Yet I have a DVD set of David Starkey's Music and Monarchy which I can listen to over and over again. Mind you the brilliant music helps.

Air Crash Investigations I like, whereas a newer series of Air Crash Confidential is rubbish. Not the content, the narrator.

dusk2dawn
20th Apr 2014, 10:48
I think Alice is sort of CAVOK and 5 by 5:

8kNk_fzmTyI