PDA

View Full Version : A music system for my Ďdení.

The SSK
17th Apr 2014, 11:18
Hello folks,
Weíre moving house shortly, and the new place will have a room just for me Ė well, mainly just for me although it will also house the PC used for home admin.

Itís a small room, 3m x 3m, but thatís OK because I donít need much. A comfy chair and a side table, a couple of bookcases/display shelves. Enough wall space to hang a picture or two that mean something to me. A small beer fridge maybe :)

And I want some music. It doesnít need to be hi-fi, Iím just not that obsessive. I would like a player of CDs/MP3s with small but decent speakers. I already have a pair of good headphones but there will be times Iíll want the sound through speakers. Radio is not required but I realise I might get it anyway (this is not in the UK so if I want BBC Iíll get it through the computer). Iíd also like a turntable that can both play vinyl and transcribe vinyl to MP3/CD Ė that will be one of my projects during my upcoming life of leisure.

I want something compact Ė I have a horror of cables all over the floor. Iím not a techie and I have terrible eyesight so I donít want anything with touch-screen, multiple menus and so on. Iím not heavily budget-constrained but I donít see the point of paying a lot for what should be a basic, simple system.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Apr 2014, 11:23
Sound proof the room and enjoy the silence.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Apr 2014, 11:25
Smallish space, no need to do overkill, may one suggest Wave Systems - CD Player and DAB Digital Radio | Bose (http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/wave-systems/) or this which has a truly stunning sound for it's size and is fully portable Bose | SoundLink Mini Bluetooth speaker (http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/bluetooth-ipod-speakers/bluetooth-speakers/soundlink-mini-bluetooth-speaker/).

SHJ

Bushfiva
17th Apr 2014, 11:42
Plug reasonable speakers into your computer, and see if that's good enough. Add a turntable with USB connection, and you're good to go.

Akrotiri71
17th Apr 2014, 11:49
Would be perfect for a 3m x 3m room. I have had one for the last 5 years. Excellent!

http://i57.tinypic.com/5djcrq.jpg

Lon More
17th Apr 2014, 11:55
I'd go with the Bose system. If you want it can be extended wirelessly throughout the house , can run music stored on your OC, iPod or CDs depending on the options chosen. Philips also make (made?) something similar, the Streamium, which was a lot less expensive

MagnusP
17th Apr 2014, 11:56
We just bought a Bose Wave Soundtouch system. DAB, CD, and WiFi so you can stream from your PC or phone/tablet. Very nice little system.

The SSK
17th Apr 2014, 12:10
I know I'm not fit to be let out alone, but I have neither smartphone nor tablet, and no ambitions to acquire either. I have a little Sony MP3 player that has driven me to distraction trying to get iTunes to work properly with it (and in any case is full up after just about 30 albums). Maybge ikf I really, really concentrated I could master an entry-level iPod.

TWT
17th Apr 2014, 12:25
I bought a pair of these for my TV and little FLAC/MP3 player.

Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II review - Peripheral - Trusted Reviews (http://www.trustedreviews.com/Creative-Gigaworks-T40-Series-II_Peripheral_review)

They sound fantastic.

And the price is a winner.You can have them plugged into your computer full time and,if you want, can then plug a MP3 player into the front as you require without unplugging the cable to the computer.They turn themselves on and off to save power when they detect audio/when they stop detecting audio too.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

MFC_Fly
17th Apr 2014, 12:29
Another vote for a Bose Wave system - amazing sound for such small units :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Apr 2014, 13:13
I have the Logitech z523 2.1 speakers on my pc in a room of similar size. The sound quality is fine at this price point, and the subwoofer makes a big difference. Probably worth getting for your pc even if you go with the Bose wave box thingie.

rgbrock1
17th Apr 2014, 13:26
Fox3:

We have the same exact Logitech speakers attached to our Mac Mini. And just as you said: for the price paid they sound quite good.

Capetonian
17th Apr 2014, 13:40
I have a Roberts WM202 internet radio in my 'den', which looks similar to the one in the picture, which is a DAB set. It's got twin speakers and for my purposes the sound is adequate, but wouldn't suit a 'hi-fi' buff. It can also be used to connect to your computer-stored music files (.wmv etc I think) although I have never tried to do that. I looked at the destructions and it looked way beyond my technical abilities.

It's a great piece of kit. I can sit and listen to any radio station in the world.
http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/gifs/product_images/lifestyle/Ecologic_4_1.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
17th Apr 2014, 14:20
There are obviously a few options that would suffice, but when all is said and done/at the end of the day/cliched idiom, the room space is limited and the sound quality should reflect that as there's little point in having a system that 'goes up to 11' when typically all one needs is 3, albeit with good sound quality. My thinking is to keep it simple and as uncomplicated as possible.

I have a couple of friends who have super-duper complicated multi-functioning systems in their not so small properties that can stream everything everywhere from multiple systems, but to be honest when things go wrong as they do from time to time the tech guy who installed it is required which is both expensive and bothersome. I rather like the fact that there are areas of the home that are without radio/tv/computer and one can just have peace.

SHJ

Miraculix
17th Apr 2014, 21:09
Go all in!!!

Sound - Bang & Olufsen (http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound)

denachtenmai
18th Apr 2014, 09:57
Try this.

Revolutionary HiFi - Brennan Home Page new (http://www.brennan.co.uk)

Regards, Den.

Cacophonix
18th Apr 2014, 10:06
I recommend the team who brought the universe the sound of Disaster Area. Their selenium based amps are superb. Their speakers, tuned using dialectic crystals from the outer edges of a quaint galaxy near Maxamegalon, produce a sound quality so far out that it can be locally measured in the perturbation of galaxy waves...

Hitchhiker's Guide (BBC TV) - Disaster Area - YouTube

For the rest there is the Bose SoundLink Mini... :ok:

Caco

Deepest Norfolk
18th Apr 2014, 11:35
A Sonos system. You can link it to your computer and play all the stored music, does Spotify and streams radio. Good sound too if you don't need a high end hi fi.

DN

cockney steve
18th Apr 2014, 14:36
DAB radio is a massive con, as is digital TV. the government are stealing the wavebands currently used, in order to sell them to Private enterprise. the capital will be used to bribe the electorate to vote them another trip on the gravy-train.
the frequency-response is poor, it drops out, it is affected badly by atmospherics such as rainstorms....

A small room will not propagate the lower audible frequencies (it's generally accepted that you need 33 feet for this.

As one gets older, the hearing declines.
Almost any amplifier or tuner-amp is capable of better quality reproduction than is nowadays transmitted by a lot of sources

Cheapish amp, best speakers you can afford...make sure the amp has enough power to drive them without overload and distortion.

redsnail
18th Apr 2014, 15:32
I am a Bowers & Wilkins fan. I have the Zeppelin, the computer speakers and the headset. :ok:

Download Bowers & Wilkins Setup Apps including AirPlay wireless iTunes Setup App (http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/airplay.html)

handysnaks
18th Apr 2014, 17:33
I'm with Redsnail, very happy with my B and W Zeppelin, the Zeppelin mini would suit your needs I suspect

B Fraser
18th Apr 2014, 20:48
Another vote for SONOS, an amazing system.

pigboat
18th Apr 2014, 21:23
I have a Garrard Zero100 and a McIntosh amp kicking around here someplace. A couple of Wharfedales and you'd be off to the races. You could listen to all that vinyl you have stashed away there. ;)

SawMan
19th Apr 2014, 00:48
I once shared a "den" that had several Marshall speakers, a pair of Altec-Lansing AL-7's, a Tascam 4-track tape machine (that used to belong to Jimmy Buffet), a 32 channel mixing board, A few cassete recorders, a top-end turntable (can't remember the brand), a full band stage, and 2 Peavy CS-400 Amps to drive it all :eek:

It was actually a small recording studio in a house several of us shared, and it is probably why I am so deaf now :E