PDA

View Full Version : Light medium and dark medium.

10Watt
16th Apr 2014, 00:47
My bestest friend is fully kitted out with perfume.

l have my eye on an antique compact for her next birthday, and would like

to provide the necessary powder, as you would.

The chances of finding out what she uses seem to be less than zero.

Straight from my phone .....

" U get light medium and dark medium stupid XXXXX "

The key may lay in being "fully kitted out", a tad insensitive on reflection.

What is to be done ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Apr 2014, 00:53
Pop down the Lower Luton Road to WGC and visit the nice ladies in Beauty at the John Lewis department store
Problem solved; simples!

p.s. if you have some good piccies (with and without make-up), take them. It will help them evaluate her skin type.

G-CPTN
16th Apr 2014, 00:58
The solution, Shirley, would be to present the compact sans powder and invite her to acquire (at your expense) her favourite powder(s) to compliment her gift.

You could even contrive to accompany her to the powder shop and produce the compact 'there and then' and invite her to fill it.

Don't take chances with things that you don't fully understand. Getting it wrong will detract from the pleasure for her.

I fear that filling it with the wrong stuff might detract from the pleasure of her being able to achieve perfection.

It would be akin to supplying a keen fisherman with an antique reel loaded with an inappropriate line - the recipient would be disappointed and want to remove (and discard) the line yet be afraid to offend the giver.

Just saying.

If you can't be sure of getting it right, then don't spoil it by getting it wrong!

10Watt
16th Apr 2014, 01:00
Now that is brilliant !

Good thinking there. l may have to try to get a rope on her :)

G-CPTN
16th Apr 2014, 01:19
I suspect that I might be older than you.

I wouldn't risk suggesting 'wiser' - just more experienced (both better and worse) due to years of getting it mainly wrong (and, occasionally, right).

Mistakes include an expensive pair of ear-rings that she never wore when I could so easily have take her to choose exactly what she wanted.

Another mistake was lingerie (that pleased me but not her). I finally learned to take her (having suggested the topic) and share the pleasure of the choice knowing that we both 'got what we wanted'. There was an additional frisson watching her trying on the various items that heightened the pleasure for me.

Depending on the extent of your relationship you might want to save the latter for later when you are certain that it will be acceptable to her.

10Watt
16th Apr 2014, 01:35
l respect your judgement. l agree.

Alas, the said lady orbits in a different universe, a universe that involves

pure colours. Black and white doesn`t exist.

Right and wrong exists only as long as it suits.

l think l prefer her world to mine.

But l could never fit in there.

500N
16th Apr 2014, 01:38
10 Watt

Agree with the above.

Or go into the stores / shops, the better one's have dedicated staff who work for the companies that make the stuff.

Powder is a nightmare as apart from colour, many other factors come into it - and women are as fickle as anything !!!

I learnt many things when busting shoplifters and talking shop or looking busy while watching someone, amazing what you remember !!!

ExSp33db1rd
16th Apr 2014, 01:54
But of course - once she has chosen and accepted whatever, texture, colour etc that suits her, next time you/she goes for a refill -well, you know, an "improved" version will have been invented that she hates. ( It has taken Mrs. ExS nearly three years to find a make-up that is as good as the one she once decided would do her for Life -and of course, next time ...... ! )

WTF can't they leave things alone ?

10Watt
16th Apr 2014, 02:22
I know.

l`m getting a headache already.

G-CPTN
16th Apr 2014, 02:27
I had one spectacular success - a handbag bought from a shop right next to the Trevi Fountain during a fleeting visit to Rome on a business trip.
I was driving a truck from Reggio di Calabria via Naples (and Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii) to Rome (one day off), Pisa, Ivrea then through France to Calais and ferry to Dover.

That handbag became her favourite handbag (except for trips to the supermarket) and was even 'renovated' when, through wear and tear it acquired some marks, after which it was as good as new (it was a soft light tan leather) and it went on to be the preferred 'carry' - even for social occasions (so it became the universal accessory).

You (can) win some - but mostly you lose . . .

ExSp33db1rd
16th Apr 2014, 03:13
and even if you haven't "lost" - they'll never admit it !

Forget "winning" - that never happens.

500N
16th Apr 2014, 03:15
Ex

That is exactly what I heard a lot of the time, when XYZ company dropped or changed such and such a product !

ExSp33db1rd
16th Apr 2014, 03:42
They call it "progress".

Bolleaux -it's naked greed, disguised as "marketing".

I've no bother with new products being made available for them what wants them, meanwhile let those of us happy with what we know live too.

500N
16th Apr 2014, 03:48
Ex

Spot on.

I am like you, still happy with the stuff I am using, it still works fine
and will do for a long time to come.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Apr 2014, 06:50
Ah, but how then would some ocean going belt fed weapons grade bellend of a young marketing thruster justify his futile existence if everything wasn't made new and improved a couple of times a year?

500N
16th Apr 2014, 06:52
True.

I still use firearms made between 1890 and 1940 :O

Capetonian
16th Apr 2014, 07:02
I realised long ago that it is impossible to buy anything for a woman that will be exactly what they want unless it's something useful like a car, computer, power drill, steam cleaner ........

Accessories, clothes, cosmetics, perfume ........ forget it. Even if they give you chapter and verse, it will be wrong. A small example, last week I was asked to get a pharmaceutical product (Primrose oil), box of 1000 mg capsules, make given, etc. They didn't have the 1000 mg ones so, thinking like a man, I got the 500mg, thinking, take 2. Faaaaaaaark ........ that was wrong.

mixture
16th Apr 2014, 07:29
Good thinking there. l may have to try to get a rope on her

You mean something like this in reverse ? ..... :cool:

UBamJngV63Y

Hydromet
16th Apr 2014, 07:37
My son-in-law and his father must be the exceptions to the rule. They each buy clothing and intimate apparel for their respective wives, and it seems that their wives are happy with their choices.
This is something I would never attempt to do, even (especially?) after 45 years of marriage.
Perhaps it helps that their choices are always expensive.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Apr 2014, 08:10
The bestest friend of the OP sounds frighteningly high maintenance. I myself would leave no more than a small puff of steam rising from two rapidly cooling footprints if faced with such a situation.

Rather be Gardening
16th Apr 2014, 08:28
10Watt - it's a lovely idea, but there's a couple of things to bear in mind. If you're thinking of getting a solid powder refill you'll need the compact with you - refills come in various sizes and might not fit otherwise. If you're thinking of a loose powder then size doesn't matter (.......) but colour and texture will. A translucent powder suits most skin colours, then you have to decide whether to choose a matte finish or one of the shimmery ones.

Best bet is as some of the other posters have suggested, either take your friend (plus compact) on a shopping exped, or purloin compact and visit the helpful ladies in John Lewis. Good luck! :)

Phalconphixer
17th Apr 2014, 22:30
But of course - once she has chosen and accepted whatever, texture, colour etc that suits her, next time you/she goes for a refill -well, you know, an "improved" version will have been invented that she hates. ( It has taken Mrs. ExS nearly three years to find a make-up that is as good as the one she once decided would do her for Life -and of course, next time ...... ! )

WTF can't they leave things alone ?

Ex

That is exactly what I heard a lot of the time, when XYZ company dropped or changed such and such a product

They call it "progress".
Bolleaux -it's naked greed, disguised as "marketing".
I've no bother with new products being made available for them what wants them, meanwhile let those of us happy with what we know live too.

Spot on. I am like you, still happy with the stuff I am using, it still works fine
and will do for a long time to come.

Ah, but how then would some ocean going belt fed weapons grade bellend of a young marketing thruster justify his futile existence if everything wasn't made new and improved a couple of times a year?

I thought for one minute there that some cross posting from the 'Bye Bye XP' thread had occurred...

OH asked me to stock up on paracetamol tabs whilst I was out shopping. Pharmacia was out of 500mg tabs so I picked up a pack of 1gm tabs... knowing that both she and I take 2x500mg tabs when the need arises... The 1gm tabs have a divider cut across the centre allowing them to be split into 2x500mg doses... Guess what... said 1gm tabs are still in the medicine cabinet... along with a more recently purchased 500mg pack...

Alas, the said lady orbits in a different universe, a universe that involves pure colours. Black and white doesn`t exist.
Right and wrong exists only as long as it suits.
l think l prefer her world to mine.
But l could never fit in there.

...said lady orbits in a different universe

Dont they all?

Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars... and 'Viva la diferencia!'

ExSp33db1rd
17th Apr 2014, 23:42
I thought for one minute there that some cross posting from the 'Bye Bye XP' thread had occurred...

Why not, same problem ?

If you read the other thread, you might have noticed that I mentioned that when I was forced to accept my present laptop loaded with Windows H'eight, I was able to load a disc of Word 97 that I still have lying around, instead of being forced for evermore to "rent" the present Office 365 garbage - Win 97 does all I want it to. (yes, I have heard of Libre Office )

Happiness is being in control of ones' computer, ( read - Life ) not the other way around, be it computers or cosmetics - or anything else, trouble is .... it's becoming harder to succeed !

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2014, 06:58
The best bit will be when he sniffs a passing ladies nether regions, then cocks his leg on a lampost.:}

flyingfemme
18th Apr 2014, 07:27
What a lovely thought 10W. Not many manufacturers still do the old fashioned replaceable compact powders....they don't come in 'many' sizes......it used to be a standard.
Get yourself to a Max Factor counter at a large department store (or your local Boots) and buy a 'creme puff' in translucent. That may not be the colour she normally wears but it does 'go with everything' and will do just fine till she can buy herself a replacement.
If you have the compact already, take it with you to check the refill size by all means. Most of them will be fine with a creme puff.

10Watt
18th Apr 2014, 20:41
l will do just that.

A gentle, stylish lady who suffers fools with grace.

A sports fan as well, rugby and boxing but not necessarily in that order.

But only those two.

Not too keen on getting into the same lift as my scrotum usually gets

a bit of a squeeze. Next door is still cowering.

How on earth do you do it ? :)

ian16th
19th Apr 2014, 10:39
women are as fickle as anything !!! Can I please nominate the above, from 500N as the understatement of the 21st century?

ian16th
19th Apr 2014, 10:50
I had one spectacular success - a handbag bought from a shop right next to the Trevi Fountain during a fleeting visit to Rome on a business trip.G-CPTN

Rome was the scene of one of my more dismal failures.

I was on a 3 day business trip flying with BA. With instructions to buy a particular perfume in Duty Free.

Of course Rome Airport didn't stock it so I hoped to buy in on board the BA flight.

On the flight also nil stock, so in desperation I ask the trolley dolly what she recommended and bought the same.

A dismal and expensive failure :sad:

Though the flamboyant silk scarf that a hurriedly purchased in a department store was a success. :ok: