PDA

View Full Version : Badgery's Creek YET AGAIN!

004wercras
15th Apr 2014, 00:55
Tautological;

Badgerys Creek to be named as Sydney's second airport | smh.com.au (http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/badgerys-creek-to-be-named-as-sydneys-second-airport-20140414-36nzh.html)

I guess the Government must feel exposed with all the other aviation bad publicity and there are no major airlines to shut down as a deflection, so it's time to re-visit this chestnut? Or are some Ministers close to retirement and are trying to cement their consultancy future?

And how will this be paid for again??

PittsS2A
15th Apr 2014, 01:39
Won't see it in our lifetime, bad idea.

Plenty of life left in YSSY, just remove all the political hurdles like curfew and movement caps.

Redevelop the terminals, fill in the area between the N/S Runways and move the freight and maintenance hangers out there with access from Foreshore Drive, extend T1 around to the current freight apron and demolish the QANTAS hangars to make way for an expanded domestic terminal on the north side.

There's no money in the budget for a second sydney airport if you believe the Lieberal spin machine and who is going to invest privately? Don't forget also that Macquarie have first right of refusal as well.

indamiddle
15th Apr 2014, 02:06
I'm with you Pitts. No way this will happen; I can' t believe how stupid the media are. They just keep believing what the pollies tell them😩

Blueskymine
15th Apr 2014, 02:36
There's no life left in Sydney airport for those that operate there.

It's also not just the Airport, it's the traffic getting there. A second airport for western Sydney will alleviate some traffic and provide employment and growth for the area.

Win win as far as I can see.

Imagine if they also increased capacity at Sydney? We might end up with world class......carparks :D

AEROMEDIC
15th Apr 2014, 03:55
Yes, long overdue and despite protracted debate, Badgery's Creek was always going to be the choice.
Hard to go past if a second airport was needed and now that the decision has been made, funding will be provided by the private sector.
The roads must come first and rail too, if the State Government come to the party.
The jobs and financial benefit to the community cannot be underestimated, but I'd like to see the first sod turned soon.

bilby_qld
15th Apr 2014, 03:59
Assuming that this announcement is about as reliable as all his other promises, the only sod likely to turn in the next few years is Tony Abbott.

73to91
15th Apr 2014, 04:58
but I'd like to see the first sod turned soon
and that should only happen once all roads are constructed or existing roads widened, new rail lines are completed - both to within 200m of site (so small portions can be finished when airport site is near ready) and then those roads and railway actually mean something i.e. join up with existing 3 or 4 lane roads and a rail line directly to city centre via existing airport. Then the first sod can be turned on the single runway airport.

Lawrie Cox
15th Apr 2014, 05:09
Aeromedic
First sod was turned in the nineties by them Minister Collins.
This decision (if you call it that) will be no different.
About time the Pollies got the intestinal fortitude and announced redevelopment of existing airport, removed excess facilities, developed terminals and runways and actually ran it as an airport.
NO curfew, no caps on movements.
If Sydney is seen as the gateway to Australia then make sure it operates in the real world instead of pandering to NIMBY whiners.

If we want true infrastructure and an aviation industry to survive then start by avoiding the same relaunch of the 2nd airport every couple of years.

I do not believe i will ever see a 2nd airport in Sydney and its about the media stopped the BS about how good it will be.:ugh:

thorn bird
15th Apr 2014, 05:10
A ten billion gift to Mc Carpark, and tax free earnings into the future.
"What a nice little earner"

This will be the first green fields airport since.........??
Ten years to build?
How long does it take the Chinese?
Will this one at least be CAT 111 capable.
Will it have a curfew? if so, there's no point to it, we only use half the one we have. The same Sydney bottle neck will still exist, just split between two airports

Fris B. Fairing
15th Apr 2014, 05:10
I caught the end of something on TV this morning which led me to believe that they have already built the first stage - the curfew! Surely they couldn't be that stupid?

Rgds

neville_nobody
15th Apr 2014, 05:12
Plenty of life left in YSSY, just remove all the political hurdles like curfew and movement caps.

And which politician is going to sign up for that idea?

Besides that the non aviation infrastructure at SYD is severely lacking for an airport its size. The train is prohibitively expensive and the roads don't cope at the international or domestic.

Even if you built new terminals and carparks there is no means of reliably transporting people between them. You need some sort of monorail like DFW or LGW.

A properly built 24 hour CAT III airport with a decent train service and road network is what is required....................just like the rest of the civilised world.

GregP
15th Apr 2014, 05:43
Bad luck for BK and CN and thousands of jobs. The sensible decision can only be Williamtown .. it already has a 'jet' standard runway (it'll need another of course), a deal of infrastructure, it's not far from an existing rail line and many ops would be on the seaboard side ala SSY.

AEROMEDIC
15th Apr 2014, 06:38
First sod was turned in the nineties by them Minister Collins.

Lawrie,

Yes, a symbolic political gesture of intent, but no substance then. Debate amongst politicians of all breeds about going ahead and where, continued as it suited them.
Maybe THIS time .......

and that should only happen once all roads are constructed or existing roads widened, new rail lines are completed - both to within 200m of site (so small portions can be finished when airport site is near ready) and then those roads and railway actually mean something i.e. join up with existing 3 or 4 lane roads and a rail line directly to city centre via existing airport. Then the first sod can be turned on the single runway airport.

73to91,

Again, yes. I hope that costs don't get in the way for all of this, but I suspect they will.

BNEA320
15th Apr 2014, 08:41
heard that Bankstown may have RPT services as early as middle of this year.

About time.

There's been talk of this for a l o n g L O N G time.

BNEA320
15th Apr 2014, 08:42
what rights did they give SYD as far as next SYDNEY airport go ?

Oktas8
15th Apr 2014, 09:06
that should only happen once all roads are constructed or existing roads widened, new rail lines are completed

I hope they don't complete all roads & rail spurs prior to commencing the airport proper. Imagine all that expensive infrastructure lying vacant for the five plus years it takes to build terminals and runways. Would be like completing a car park before starting to build the adjacent mall. (Appropriate analogy I think, if Macquarie end up doing the building!)

So anyway, I wonder if anyone can see the irony here? Bunch of people criticising the best researched option on the table, continuing to flog the dead horse that is SYD, or "we just need to use [insert favourite NSW airport here]", round and round on the same circle of under-informed opinions. Sounds exactly like what the pollies have been doing for thirty years!

I think, good on Tony for actually reaching a conclusion. +1 for that!

wheels_down
15th Apr 2014, 09:13
From what I heard today, the next 2 years it will be planned with construction to commence late 2016, completion 2024-2026.

Abbott quoted single runway also.

gerry111
15th Apr 2014, 15:05
Tony Abbott's Chief of Staff, Peta Credlin may be behind some of this? A little like: "We need a Free Trade Agreement with China". ( That's apparently really good for big business.) So let's tell the Chinese that we've nearly found MH 370?

Badgery's Creek Airport remains pure fantasy. And the Federal Coalition sure knows that it is too. :ugh:

neville_nobody
15th Apr 2014, 22:12
Whole thing is going to reek of compromise. They want the state government to fund the railway, so that will never happen, Jackie Kelly is arcing up so to appease her they'll probably end up putting a curfew on it, so in the end they'll have a airport in the middle of nowhere with no railway that gets fogged in with a CAT I ILS and a curfew.

The federal and New South Wales governments will today announce they are spending nearly $3.5 billion on roads to support the construction of Sydney's second airport.

The money will flow over the next decade and the news has been welcomed by some nervous federal Liberal MPs in western Sydney who hope it will dampen community opposition to the Badgerys Creek project.

Last night many of the MPs had a phone hook-up with senior ministers to hear what an airport at Badgerys Creek might mean for them.

Unsurprisingly, many wanted to know if the airport would run around the clock. Some were worried about public support for the proposal, while others raised concerns about the direction of the runway.

The Liberal Member for MacArthur, Russell Matheson, has long fought against the Badgerys Creek project.

He would not talk about the details of the phone call, but says he is now determined to make the best of the current situation and secure as many jobs as he can for his electorate.

"My position hasn't changed in relation to Badgerys Creek. I want to see the concept, design, the airport, the runway alignment, the noise impacts, air quality," Mr Matheson said.

"At the end of the day I have to be pragmatic about it. The Government has made a decision to go ahead with Badgerys Creek. I've got to work out what the best outcomes for my community are."
Badgerys Creek ready for takeoff

Successive state and federal governments have debated the need for, and location of, a second Sydney airport.

Today Mr Matheson will join a handful of western Sydney Liberal MPs, Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Premier Barry O'Farrell for the announcement of a roads package which will support the construction of the Badgerys Creek project.

The package is worth just under $3.5 billion over the next decade, with $1 billion set aside over the budget forward estimates and some work likely to start within a year.

A large chunk of the money will go towards the Elizabeth Drive project, which is the road connecting the M7 Motorway to the Badgerys Creek site.

Two major arterial roads - the Bringelly and Northern roads - will also be upgraded, and about $200 million will be set aside for work on smaller, local streets.

The Commonwealth will contribute 80 per cent of the public funding. The NSW Government will make up the difference and will be left to foot the bill for any rail link.

Assistant Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs and NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay will oversee the project.

The Coalition says there may not be enough airport traffic to justify a rail line in the early years of the airport's operation, but Labor's transport spokesman, Anthony Albanese, says that is rubbish.

"What we need is substantial investment, not just in roads but also in rail," Mr Albanese said.
What it could mean for Sydney's west

"[The Government] needs to ensure the south-west rail link is extended through Badgerys Creek."

An outer ring road for Sydney, called the M9 orbital, will also be investigated over the longer term.

The airport and road projects are expected to create tens of thousands of jobs in the coming decades and have placated some in the Government concerned about the proposal.

Mr Matheson says Mr Abbott has done his best to ease the political pain for Liberal MPs.

"One thing the Prime Minister has done is he's had an open-door policy," he said.

"He's engaged all the federal members in the region and I think that's an appropriate way to go. He's really tried hard."

Of course, no amount of money will please everyone.

Former western Sydney Liberal MP Jackie Kelly is pledging to start a campaign against the airport project.

But senior ministers insist they have to make difficult decisions in the interests of the national economy.

They are spruiking the economic benefits infrastructure spending can bring and are hinting other projects around the country are likely to be a feature of the May budget.

GregP
16th Apr 2014, 00:29
Well there goes Abbott's triumphalist press conference about Badger's Crik! The project's not getting off to a great start, is it?!?

Alloyboobtube
16th Apr 2014, 12:20
Was the curfew really put in place for noise or to avoid 24 hour running costs and staff penalty rates , massive savings for a curfew airport.

TIMA9X
19th Apr 2014, 15:06
It looks like Barry won't be building anything. He has just resigned after a thank you letter has appeared for the $3000 bottle of Grange wine has surfaced :ouch:

Well, I guess there will be a new set of gift rules with the consultants who are about to flood Sydney's west. Rule one Barry, never write anything down.

OLiH0CEkPlQ

indamiddle
19th Apr 2014, 22:50
Everyone here needs to take a deep breath and calm down.
Yes, a decision has been made, just like the last 10 decisions (or is that 13). We have already lost Barry. Tony will announce a a huge reduction in expenditure come the May budget. Yes, it will contain funding for the new airport but it will be 5-10 years down the track. In the meantime budget is out of control and liberal backbenchers from the west of Sydney oppose the airport and hold valuable votes in any leadership battle. The decision/proposal will then be allowed to quietly die off.
Just like all the others😯

p.j.m
19th Apr 2014, 23:30
what rights did they give SYD as far as next SYDNEY airport go ?

Once the Federal government give the go-ahead, Mac Bank has 9 months to decide if they want to build and run the second airport.

Hopefully the government has learned from its mistakes at Mascot, and won't allow the second airport such free reign with parking costs, pickup and drop off fees and restrictions etc, and other features that will make passengers actually WANT to go to Badgerys Creek instead of Mascot.

p.j.m
19th Apr 2014, 23:39
How long does it take the Chinese?
Will this one at least be CAT 111 capable.
Will it have a curfew? if so, there's no point to it, we only use half the one we have. The same Sydney bottle neck will still exist, just split between two airports

Good questions, and that is one condition the government should put on the build (which would knock Mac Bank out of the running).

Airport to be built and operational within 2 years (prefab buildings from China would see to that).

:)

rj27
20th Apr 2014, 01:16
Think what efficiencies would arise if we could obtain some airport competition. I can't imagine Macbank would allow that to happen!:E

Wally Mk2
20th Apr 2014, 16:00
Corruption in big business/industries & Govt institutions will take care of anything happening quickly here, someone has gotta make a buck out of all this without turning wheel on site!

Wmk2

ranmar850
21st Apr 2014, 00:50
One pertinent point here,I believe , is that Abbot is very aware of the accusation that the Howard years were wasted with regards to infrastructure construction--of course, without all the money that was banked during that time, Labour couldn't have spent it's way through the GFC and then claimed they "saved" us with brilliant governance.. :rolleyes: Anyway,I digress. This is precisely the sort of infrastructure project he can get going, and then hold up as an example of how to get things done. It's really ready made-the need is there,the land is already owned, the rail is most of the way there already, as are the roads, and regardless of what local Labour members may say, majority of people in the west really want it. And want it as a 24 hour operation--So much of the curfew on Mascot was about saving the vote in Albanese's electorate, and the party hack who had it before him, can't remember his name.
Of course, I may be completely wrong, and the rampant cynicism expressed in most of the posts on this may prove to be well--founded. Time will tell. Just remember that this is a bloke who is not poll-driven, and will REALLY dig his heels in when the pressure is on. Just ask Allan Joyce.

mcgrath50
21st Apr 2014, 01:20
Just remember that this is a bloke who is not poll-driven, and will REALLY dig his heels in when the pressure is on. Just ask Allan Joyce.

HA! Thank god the comedy moved here after the engine management thread got locked.