View Full Version : Contracting

NICK8896
19th May 2002, 17:01
I have recently got my B2 and am looking for contract work either in the UK or somewhere that will able me to get back on a regular basis, does anyone have any tips,suggestions or contacts.
What is the contract world like now post sept 11th?

NICK8896
25th May 2002, 11:40
:mad: Thanks for the replies you bunch of miserable tossers!
I bet you'd be hitting the keyboard if i had a moan about how bad our conditions are and how poorly we get paid, you're all only happy when bitching about your lives. THis is the last time i try and get advice from the prune grannies.

Denzil
25th May 2002, 12:31
EASY TIGER, Has it occured to you that no jobs are available at the moment!!!! Try www.aviationjobsearch.com and see what you can find. Good luck

itwilldoatrip
25th May 2002, 12:49
Have you contacted any agencies yet. I did contracting for a while and am considering it again if market picks up. Certainly if you have a fist full of A/C it shouldn't be a problem.
As for getting home regular pick and choose (if possible) your jobs.
One thing I learnt though about contracts and contracting (and very quick) if it aint in writing you aint getting it and DON'T assume you get anything ASK treat agencies like kids.

smiles
25th May 2002, 20:23
So you've got a B2, big deal!
You give no other details of your experience.
Seems to me you expect everybody else to do your job hunting.
If you're so good, get off your arse and look around like the rest of us.
Could I hazard a guess and say you have recently come out of the military.
Your attitude certainly points that way and that will not help you get on in the civilian world.

NICK8896
26th May 2002, 04:42
smiles, shove it, no i am not recently from the military. I just thought some of the people who use this forum may be able to give a bit of advice seeing as though that's the idea behind all this. The rest of the replies thanks i will take your advice seriously.:p

Hugh De Payen
27th May 2002, 01:04
NICK8896,

Are Nordic still your employers? You've moved on from just your radio ticket then.

Just taking a wild stab at your identity!

Jango
27th May 2002, 08:08
Nick8896, in fairness you can see from the back of Flight how many agencies there are and a few phone calls would have given you the answer. The fact you did not get a reply within a week might just point to the fact guys are busy. Plus you did not tell us what types you cover, that has an impact on what is available out there right now.

Secondly, attitude counts for a lot in this business especially when you are zapping it through hyperspace on a web page that plenty of folks read!

Can personally recomend AMR, Resource and Qualitair if you seriously want to go contracting - Good luck

NICK8896
27th May 2002, 16:35
Jango, Hugh and everyone else.
I would like to apologise for my outburst, you're all right i should have never asked for advice. I guess i should have had a look my-self, things have been a bit tough round here lately what with cut backs and so forth but that's no excuse, i know you are all busy. Once again i'm sorry.
Hope you all have a productive summer season and maybe i'll catch up with you all soon.;)

mainwheel
29th May 2002, 13:28
Good luck with the contracting.You won't regret it-life without the big umbrella.Extremely good and extremely bad,sometimes not your choice.
If you are interested in Asia,avoid one particular contracting company that promise the world and deliver grief.
Bintang is a malay word!

near enuf is good enuf
30th May 2002, 10:58
Nick,

Come on then, B2 AND WHAT ELSE ?

NICK8896
30th May 2002, 22:28
Jetstream 41 full, F50 and 146 limited, now can you see why i'm worried!!!!!!!:(

HiSpeedTape
30th May 2002, 22:47
Nick
If you do work for Nordic at LBA, can you confirm the rumours that are circulating around that Nordic are pulling out of LBA? If so, do you know what is happening with the BACE operation there?
I've heard that Nordic are giving up on the maintenance side to concentrate on ground handling and de-icing as it is more profitable. Is that true as well?

Good luck looking for a contracting job. Though if you've got J41 would'nt you be an asset to any future BACE setup in LBA.

NICK8896
1st Jun 2002, 11:46
Rumours are rife around here, but as usual we don't know anything yet. As you can imagine i'm trying to cover every avenue in case the worst happens and contracting is one option, but according to the agencies there is little work around, guess we'll have to suck it and see.

P.S Hugh i'm not who you think i am!:cool: :confused:

Hugh De Payen
4th Jun 2002, 16:44
NICK,

How's Josh? Is he still with you? BAC have gone solo, well almost, and Greg 'The Head' Tefal is going from strength to strength.

NICK8896
5th Jun 2002, 16:23
Hugh,
Josh is well- he has retired, Trev is in charge. As for the rest of your reply i don't know what you are on about (quote 'i am not who you think i am')

Mr Happy
20th Jun 2002, 14:13
Hi Nick
I'm pleased you now have your B2. I too worked for Nordic at several locations and am very dissappointed at the way we were treated when things started to go wrong. Bob is no longer in charge and you can't beleive what the others tell you. The new masters don't want engineering and are looking for any excuse to revert to washing and de-icing which is where the money is.
Good luck with your jobsearch but start looking now:(