PDA

View Full Version : Countryfile

tony draper
13th Apr 2014, 18:51
Always liked watching countryfile, Sunday night were Countryfile - Antiques Road Show-and of course Top Gear.
I find the format they use now so feckin irritating,five minutes on item one they are covering,stop,promise to come back later, then five minutes of second item,promise to be back later then on to third item for five minutes and then probably back to first item for short short segment then possibly on to item five before returning to ....repeat ad infunitum
Why the **** do they do this ? it annoys the shite out of me, just run the bloody program from start to bloody finish in a linear manner will you.
:suspect: :rolleyes:

500N
13th Apr 2014, 18:59
Tony

I commented on exactly that format a month ago with another couple of programs over here in Aus. Annoys the crap out of me as well.

Not only that, but when they do go back to the "story", they rehash the first bit again in a "brief" summary !!! :ugh:

Yes, it is annoying.

tony draper
13th Apr 2014, 19:04
Someone should write them a letter,:=

beaufort1
13th Apr 2014, 19:12
... and the five day weather forecast has been dumbed down. :hmm:

ChrisVJ
13th Apr 2014, 19:36
'Merican style programs designed to keep you watching till the end and wring the most viewing out of the least information for dumb viewers who can't remember what was happening before the adverts.

Absolutely hate them.

tony draper
13th Apr 2014, 19:37
No need for that for we English folk,we are a cultured people.:= :rolleyes:

vulcanised
13th Apr 2014, 19:44
Another example of why I find iPlayer so much better than live TV.

I only download nowadays (watching online can be a bit stuttery) and I can watch whenever I want, skip the padding, pause & resume, watch the best bits again.................

A downloaded programme can be stored for up to a month before it expires although oddly, as soon as you've watched it, or a bit of it, you've got seven days before it self-destructs.

500N
13th Apr 2014, 19:50
I must admit, I am watching more and more DVD's and programs "on line" than live TV. Youtube is great for films.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Apr 2014, 19:56
Aye, but them Lancashire Crisps looked OK though on tonight's programme. I'll pick some up next time I'm in Booths (the only store brave enough to import them into Cheshire, in their only Cheshire store!).

beaufort1
13th Apr 2014, 19:59
Oh good, you can let us know what Lancashire Sauce is, I've never heard of it. :O

Donkey497
13th Apr 2014, 20:02
Average attention span for the viewing audience is heading for that of the proverbial goldfish hence the incessant short articles and constant repetition.

I blame the schools as a result of meddling by soundbite politicians a la Tony Bliar & Lord Peter Voldamortson on the one side & Gove etc. on the other and their pet educational & social theorists........:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

A A Gruntpuddock
13th Apr 2014, 20:08
Stopped watching Countryfile when they devoted most of one programme to ranting about global warming.

Windy Militant
13th Apr 2014, 20:25
Used to like Country file when it was a proper show for farming folk. Now it's turned into a show for twinkies, all about mountain biking and horse riding.
Haven't seen a decent tractor on it for years! :(

Much prefer Fermio or Cefn Gwlad with Dai Llaninar on S4C. Dai's a proper farmer and they have tractors and you can almost smell the farmyard when you watch it! :ok:

thing
13th Apr 2014, 20:26
On a wider note why do TV producers think it's great when interviewing people to keep changing the camera angle, add colour, take away colour etc every other second. I just want to see the bloody interview, not camera tricks.

500N
13th Apr 2014, 20:42
thing

Especially when they are half way through answering a question which
you are trying to concentrate on !!! Annoying.

Tankertrashnav
13th Apr 2014, 21:19
Wish they'd get rid of that Geordie bloke, Mr D, and get someone who can speak English properly ;)

There he was tonight saying "I'm sat here on the ....." and I'm shouting "sitting, moron, sitting!"

I like Adam's farm best - some nice Herefords this evening, he's got some great cattle.

ChocksAwayChaps
13th Apr 2014, 21:20
And why do they insist that the presenter has to be walking and talking? Stand still, will yer!

ChocksAwayChaps
13th Apr 2014, 21:21
I do that, too. My pet hate of the moment.
It's SITTING, not SAT.
Is it a Yorkshire expression?

tony draper
13th Apr 2014, 21:23
That's why they employ that Geordie we are one of the few races in this land that can walk and talk and chew gum at the same time.
:rolleyes:

vulcanised
13th Apr 2014, 21:26
Rarely watch Countryfile these days although I did like that Ellie.

Recently thoroughly enjoyed the lambing programmes with Kate Humble. Lovely farming family and those NZ Hunter dogs were great - never heard of them before,

ChocksAwayChaps
13th Apr 2014, 21:28
I think of it as the Tony Robinson Disease. He runs everywhere on that Time Team programme. Walking and talking while presenting is just a dumbed down version of Tony Robinson, but is that even possible, hmm?

tony draper
13th Apr 2014, 21:31
Sir Tony Robinson please,he got the last laugh on that commoner Blackadder,
:E

ChocksAwayChaps
13th Apr 2014, 21:35
Sir, spelt Cur?
No justice in this world when the likes of us are expected to doff our caps at the likes of him.

RedhillPhil
13th Apr 2014, 22:26
The only thing worth watching on Countryfile nowadays is Adam Henson. At least he is a farmer and lives and works in the country so knows what he's talking about. The rest is drivel for country wanabees. Such a pity the B.B.C. effectively banned Robin Page.

ShyTorque
13th Apr 2014, 22:45
The only thing worth watching on Countryfile nowadays is Adam Henson. At least he is a farmer and lives and works in the country so knows what he's talking about. The rest is drivel for country wanabees.

Totally agree.

That Ellie Harrison is always walking about with a very strange gait, it often looks like she's popped one in her jodhpurs.

Krystal n chips
14th Apr 2014, 03:56
The programme, and most of the topics, has always been one of the Beebs better offerings.....unfortunately, this doesn't include the presenters.

As other have said, Adam's Farm is always worth it's slot as he clearly knows, and has a passion for, farming. That and the rather minor detail that his delivery style doesn't talk down to, or at, the viewer unlike many others.

Tom Heap is another in the same vein. Clearly knows his subjects and gives the impression he would love to delve deeper, but isn't allowed to....which is a shame.

Which leads to......the unlamented loss of Ms "far from bright" Bradbury....anybody who traverses a canal barge whilst it's moving, on the unprotected side of this structure, as she did, clearly qualifies, The WTF! expression on the owners face said it all.

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontcysyllte_Aqueduct)

Her replacement seems to like dressing the part, but gives the impression she would much rather be somewhere else and certainly doesn't appear to like any form of adverse weather judging by her body language.

Which leaves......smug chops himself...." I'm doing this / that as this is all about me"...erm, no you're not. He always talks in the singular and gives only minimal recognition to those he's, ostensibly, helping.

The "weather for the week ahead" is still worth watching however, and it's amazing when you talk to people about the British fascination with the weather, how many watch this slot.

uffington sb
14th Apr 2014, 05:57
Best country show by far was One Man and His Dog with Phil Drabble.
Just a bloke, his dog and a flock of sheep.

acbus1
14th Apr 2014, 06:14
Three replies in one.

Bargain. :p

(1)

Which leads to......the unlamented loss of Ms "far from bright" Bradbury....anybody who traverses a canal barge whilst it's moving, on the unprotected side of this structure, as she did, clearly qualifies.
You had me Googling to find reports of the fall to her death. :rolleyes:

(2)

As for any documentary these days, can we please, please, please be spared the f*%^*g background music (often more like 'foreground' music)? I'm trying to listen to and concentrate upon what is being said.

...or can the average citizen not survive these days without the constant support of some [email protected] thumping away at a drum kit while his mates play a so-called tune?

(3)

Someone should write them a letter
If I ever meet that Mr/Mrs Someone, I'm going to give him/her a throughly sound thrashing. He/she never seems to get around to doing anything.

tony draper
14th Apr 2014, 08:22
Have you seen the price of stamps? besides the BBC care not a hoot for the opinion of we oinks.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
14th Apr 2014, 09:24
the BBC care not a hoot for the opinion of we oinks.
True, very true.

I have 'commented' on several annoying facets of BBC Radio Five Live (using the online response forms), and it's like shouting down the toilet . . . :ugh:

tony draper
14th Apr 2014, 09:50
There's a program on the bbc news channel on Saturday morning where people can write in(email) and complain about bbc news output obviously this week many letters were given over to the inane endless over the top slop churned out about the death of some young celeb virtually unknown outside London whilst around them in the real world cities burned.
Did they listen? I seriously doubt it.
:suspect:

Groundgripper
14th Apr 2014, 12:07
Such a pity the B.B.C. effectively banned Robin Page.

Actually he was on last night's Countryfile, Phil.

He mentioned it in his column in the Saturday Telegraph so I was waiting for it. A refreshing, if short, burst of commonsense.

we are one of the few races in this land that can walk and talk and chew gum at the same time

If you got rid of the gum the rest of the world might be able to understand what you're saying.:E

GG

SLFguy
14th Apr 2014, 12:11
Here you go Mr. Drapes.. treat yourself.

Jack Hargreaves.

Out of Town - with Jack Hargreaves (http://www.outoftown-dvd.co.uk/)

RedhillPhil
14th Apr 2014, 12:32
Actually he was on last night's Countryfile, Phil.

He mentioned it in his column in the Saturday Telegraph so I was waiting for it. A refreshing, if short, burst of commonsense.

Blast! I saw that in the D.T. and meant to watch but........
damn this Altzheimer's.

If you got rid of the gum the rest of the world might be able to understand what you're saying.:E

GG

G-CPTN
14th Apr 2014, 13:06
BBC iPlayer - Countryfile: Southport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b041j5rr/Countryfile_Southport/)

panda-k-bear
14th Apr 2014, 14:19
It's dumbing down, I tells ya. The directors - and it isn't only the Beeb - think that the public all have the attention span of goldfish with amnesia. Which brings me on to this:
I think of it as the Tony Robinson Disease. He runs everywhere on that Time Team programme. Walking and talking while presenting is just a dumbed down version of Tony Robinson, but is that even possible, hmm?
Which is rather ironic because actually, he RAN everywhere on that Time Team programme. It has been cancelled after a highly unsuccessful attempt at exactly the same type of dumbing down that Countryfile now suffers from. When the public and the esteemed Professor Aston declared that they didn't like the new glamorous 'co-presenter' or the style-over-substance format, C4 had a hissy-fit and canned the show.

It's SITTING, not SAT.

One may also be SEATED.

Standard Noise
15th Apr 2014, 20:33
"... and the five day weather forecast has been dumbed down."

Reminds me of a Billy Connolly skit he did years ago 'and here's the weather, this is a cloud and here's the sun.....'

My only complaint is there's not enough Ellie Harrison on the Ellie Harrison Show these days. Even a bit more of Julia would be good.

tony draper
15th Apr 2014, 21:25
Oh I like Julia, she made a pretty fair job of fronting her own documentaries ie climbing all the fells in the lake district walking across the country and the canal walk series, she be a tough lass, not just all tits and teeth like most of em.
:rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
16th Apr 2014, 05:56
" she made a pretty fair job of fronting her own documentaries ie climbing all the fells in the lake district walking across the country and the canal walk series"

Unfortunately, not so.

The topics were interesting, but, the impression that she couldn't find her way from the front door to the gate without a BBC support crew was all too evident.

That, and when not promoting her ego, when did speak to mere lesser beings, or the general public if you insist, it was in that condescending manner so beloved by some BBC presenters over the years....likewise, when being offered explanations about localities and events, "easily confused" springs to mind.....although totally confused would be a better term.

skua
16th Apr 2014, 06:04
Agree with most of the above. Countryfile drives me to distraction, in particular that Geordie w****r. These days it has about as much connection to rural life as Top Gear does to the works of Jane Austen.

The bias is unbelievable. The pro-badger stance for one. The chap who interviewed Princess Anne the other week could not avoid showing the chip on his shoulder regarding that issue.

The whole thing is a metropolitan/leftie entertainment programme, doing an increasingly poor job of relating rural problems to a wider world.

Blacksheep
16th Apr 2014, 06:49
I couldn't get past the opening of that Jack Hargreaves clip. The annoying drums!

In any case, with that hoss 'n cart, he looked more like a 1950s rag 'n bone man than a farmer.

tony draper
16th Apr 2014, 09:20
The Fast Show did it well.:)
Arse! - The Best of Bob Fleming And Friends - YouTube