PDA

View Full Version : Micro SD card - deleting files

Tone
13th Apr 2014, 17:04
Does anyone know of a quick way of using a PC to dele files from a micro SD card? Windows keeps telling me it's write protected. Is this the same problem of trying to delete pictures when the card has been removed from the host camera? Not much useful info on Google.
T

mixture
13th Apr 2014, 18:09
The SD industry body offers a formatting tool, have a sniff around the SD Association website (don't download it anywhere else except direct !).

Alternatively, most cameras offer an in-camera formatting option, perhaps look at your user manual ?

Biggles78
13th Apr 2014, 20:33
If you are using an SD adapter for the MicroSD card then check that the SD Adapter doesn't have the Write Protect switch turned on/enabled. You will find the switch on the side of the adapter, left hand side (as you insert it into the card reader) and about one quarter back from the pin end of the adapter.

mad_jock
13th Apr 2014, 20:43
Don't format the card using a PC if your going to use it in a camera, only ever use the in camera formatting option.

It does funny things to the card and can mean you loose everything while taking photo even if you think you are saving them.

mixture
13th Apr 2014, 21:25
Don't format the card using a PC if your going to use it in a camera, only ever use the in camera formatting option.

It does funny things to the card and can mean you loose everything while taking photo even if you think you are saving them.

Agree... except there are, believe it or not, some cameras that don't have an in-camera formatting option.

Probably an accidental omission during rushed design... but still.... there are some...

e.g. BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera is one that I know of. But there are doubtless others.

mad_jock
13th Apr 2014, 22:45
I believe with those ones your meant to use straight out the packet and never reformat the card.

Tone
14th Apr 2014, 08:00
Mixture - SDFormatter worked fine, thanks
T

mixture
14th Apr 2014, 10:23
No worries, happy snapping ... hope to see some of your output on the 'good photography' thread in JB ! :cool: