View Full Version : P3 Video

Flash2001
11th Apr 2014, 20:32
A quick question for P3 Pilots.

A piece of P3 cabin footage being shown ad nauseam on CNN's MH370 coverage shows #1 engine being shut down and the prop feathered. Is this a fuel economy/saunter mode or was there a small problem they omitted to mention?

Dan Gerous
11th Apr 2014, 20:39
Pretty sure they can shut down two engines, when on patrol. Like to see the P8 try it.

Whenurhappy
11th Apr 2014, 21:04
It's a fuel economy measure in the cruise. The engine would be restarted (windmill start iirc) before descent. NATOPS did permit a 2-engined cruise but I don't this that was ever doen - except when the kiwis set a 22+hr endurance record in c1966. I'm sure there are others here with more up-to-date information on P3 B/C performance.

Flash2001
11th Apr 2014, 21:26
Would that be only one engine? I thought that they would shut #4 down as well. My guess on, reflection, is that it might extend endurance but would have a negative effect on range.

Brian Abraham
12th Apr 2014, 01:28
It's a fuel economy measure in the cruise. The engine would be restarted (windmill start iirc) before descentWrong way round. Cruise is with all burning and turning. Loitering may be done with either one or both outboard engines shut down, depending on weight.

Discussion by ex drivers here

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/536998-p3-orion-ops.html