PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Mole.....the final chapter

Krystal n chips
11th Apr 2014, 06:43
Sadly now reached.

BBC News - Sue Townsend, author of Adrian Mole books, dies aged 68 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26982680)

Hilarious books... and...... a superb author.....:ok:

OFSO
11th Apr 2014, 08:02
Good writer, had many a laugh over Adrian's adventures. Wonder if he was related to Nigel Molesworth ?

Tankertrashnav
11th Apr 2014, 09:05
Nice interview this morning with Stephen Mangan who played the grown-up Adrian Mole in The Cappucino Years on the BBC. Apparently Sue Townsend stipulated that the actor playing the part shouldn't be good looking. She examined Mangan's face with a powerful magnifying glass (she still had some residual sight) and declared him sufficiently ugly to play the part!

Effluent Man
11th Apr 2014, 09:10
Was she 68 3/4?

redsnail
11th Apr 2014, 09:16
Oh shame. Loved her books. I believe her blindness was from diabetes.

angels
11th Apr 2014, 10:03
Yes type-2 diabetes. I didn't realise how ill she had been in her final years. Very young age to die.

I wasn't an Adrian Mole fan, but enjoy the one where the queen lives in a council house (can't recall the title).

Lon More
11th Apr 2014, 10:32
Angels

http://www.debutart.com/media/22899/large/debutart_stephanie-von-reiswitz_15891.jpg

TBirdFrank
11th Apr 2014, 12:21
As a Type 2 diabetes patient of 63.75 years - makes you think - it does!

chuks
11th Apr 2014, 12:38
I got a big kick out of Adrian Mole. He reminded me of me when I was his age! And The Queen and I ... was really funny, and not totally unkind. The bolshie types who put the Royal Family in that situation did not come off unscathed by Townsend.

Didn't she do the one about the young man working in the traveling library? I guess not, but it certainly was in the Townsend mold. Ah! Just looked it up: The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett.

My German wife is certain that "The English have no sense of humor," but then she never read Townsend, or Bennett either.

Capetonian
11th Apr 2014, 12:47
My favourite was probably 'The Queen and I'. I had a schoolfriend who I am convinced is the person Adrian Mole was modelled on.

Vale, Sue Townsend.

Curious Pax
11th Apr 2014, 14:19
My German wife is certain that "The English have no sense of humor," but then she never read Townsend, or Bennett either.

She does irony then! ;)

RIP Adrian's mum

Blacksheep
11th Apr 2014, 14:25
Written by a woman.
I found Adrian Mole unconvincing. When I was 13¾ there were only two things on my mind. The size of my penis and Carol Sow---y. In that order.

Tankertrashnav
11th Apr 2014, 16:15
My German wife is certain that "The English have no sense of humor,"

WTF!!!

Mike6567
11th Apr 2014, 17:52
Sorry to hear about Sue Townsend.

What happened to Adrian? Last I heard he was in the advanced stages of Prostate Cancer.

chuks
11th Apr 2014, 18:36
Early on, I went looking for an example of English humor, but all I could find, in late 1987 near Verden an der Aller, was a videotheque across from the British barracks that had Personal Services, with Julie Waters. I rented it, brought it home, and showed her it that evening.

She was sat there, sober as a judge, watching the transvestite Squadron Leader being carried off by two burly constables, shouting something like, "Unhand me! I am a war hero! I flew 105 missions over occupied territory wearing a bra and panties!"

Then she turned to me and said, "I do not understand. If this is meant to be funny, I do not find it so. If it is meant to be erotic, I do not find it stimulating." So, that is you lot told!

er340790
11th Apr 2014, 19:11
The Canadian Finance Minister died yesterday.

And of course everyone, even the opposition benches, was wailing what a wonderful person he was.... :yuk:

Mel Smith summed it up best:

Not The Nine O'Clock News - Politicians - Funny Videos at Videobash (http://www.videobash.com/video_show/not-the-nine-o-clock-news-politicians-637987)

angels
11th Apr 2014, 19:30
Ahem, chuks, sorry, but someone has to post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Edited to ask why the actual screen hasn't showed up. Something changed?

chuks
12th Apr 2014, 06:32
I am sure that Sue Townsend would want to be remembered with fond laughter rather than tears. One of the things that I like best about the British is their sense of humor, and hers was one of the best. She and the rest of her colleagues got me through some dreary stretches in the Third World.

I particularly remember one day, droning along in a Twotter between two hot and miserable places, listening to the BBC on the HF, when this strange little segment came on, about how some intergalactic fleet bent on vengeance pops out of hyperspace to be swallowed by a small dog, due a mistake in scale or something. That was my first exposure to Douglas Adams and his wonderful Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Monty Python, well, we already had memorized The Life of Brian, there at our bar. Then followed Sue Townsend and Alan Bennett, and that luckless girl who was always dieting, looking for Mr. Right, Bridget Jones.

Adrian Mole, yes, and his nemesis, that thuggish kid who went to the Falklands and came back to become a success, driving poor Adrian mad with jealousy. The ladies who serenaded Mr. Mole with "Why was he born so beautiful ..." beautiful! The way Adrian wanted to be a savant, but was mostly gormless: pure adolescence!

Krystal n chips
12th Apr 2014, 06:48
Plenty of genuine tributes in the various obit.columns, all well deserved. :ok:

A few of the more memorable, and insightful, observations from our hero....note, nobody is spared !.....:D

Adrian Mole's best quotes: what are your favourites? | Books | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/apr/11/adrian-moles-best-quotes-what-are-your-favourites)

Bronx
12th Apr 2014, 08:01
Thanks for the link Krystal.

I thought of you when I read ......

I am an intellectual, but at the same time I am not very clever.

chuks
12th Apr 2014, 08:45
I was attempting to re-integrate into American society after a spell wasted fighting the Spread of Global Communism in Southeast Asia, by attending a very small liberal-arts college in southern Vermont.

Things began to spiral out of control soon after I arrived; the Dean of Students suggested that I switch from studying "The English Novel," to his course, "Existential Theology." (I wrongly assumed that he had noticed my keen, penetrating intellect, somewhat like WD-40. Actually, he simply needed some warm bodies for his class!)

So I went to my "English Novel" prof, a rather formidable woman of a certain age, to tell her of my change of course. She cleared her throat with a rumble like thunder and said, "Personally, I would have no trouble choosing between English literature and Existential theology," when I thanked her for agreeing with me and bimbled off, confirmed in my new change of course, on my own way to becoming, yes, an intellectual!

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2014, 18:38
That's all very well, but after reaching military age, one's penis is already fully formed and one has presumably already used it in anger.

Carol Sow---y never did succumb (well, not to me anyway) but I managed to persuade Barbara B------r when I was 15 and the spots had cleared.

ExRAFRadar
13th Apr 2014, 06:57
Apparently the next book was going to be called 'Pandora's Box'

I smiled at that.