PDA

View Full Version : Most lonely and/or isolated sector

Ken Borough
10th Apr 2014, 09:44
Earlier today my morning coffee break was disturbed by a very heavy Qantas departure from Sydney: it was their non-stop flight to Johannesburg with a B744. This had me wondering if this flight be one of the loneliest sectors flown.

I imagine that Sydney-Santiago and Sydney-Buenos Aires are just as lonely and over sectors that are as isolated and hostile to man. A look at the Great Circle shows that for much of these sectors, flight is overwater where there'd be scarcely any traffic be it marine or aviation. Are there any other sectors that are more isolated and solitary?

Fliegenmong
10th Apr 2014, 10:41
Probably not Ken., even Great circles over the Arctic Circle / Pole would see more traffic...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Apr 2014, 10:49
Any long flight over ocean/ice/desert with only one engine, and an HF set strapped to the top of your extra ferry fuel tank (which nobody answers your calls on anyway) is quite isolated.

charliegolf
10th Apr 2014, 11:11
which nobody answers your calls on anyway

Not even 'architect'? Does that service even exist any more?

CG

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Apr 2014, 11:18
The lack of response is mostly due to the aerial - not always easy to fit a decent one to smaller aircraft.

Curious Pax
10th Apr 2014, 11:40
Flew Sydney-Honolulu once. Departure was off the runway jutting out into the sea, and arrival was on similar at HNL. As far as I could tell we barely turned during the whole flight given the alignments of the 2 runways, neither did we pass over any land. If correct we were over the sea for all bar about 500 metres of the flight!

MagnusP
10th Apr 2014, 11:50
Curious Pax, there may have been a pacific island or two off to the side at some point, but I think you're right. Have you tried playing with the Great Circle Mapper website?

alisoncc
10th Apr 2014, 11:58
The lack of response is mostly due to the aerial - not always easy to fit a decent one to smaller aircraft.Just need the right book to tell you how.

http://users.on.net/~alisoncc/hfaerial.jpg

Mind you, you might need one of these to drive it:
http://users.on.net/~alisoncc/hftx.jpg

ORAC
10th Apr 2014, 13:54
I'm pretty sure the Cape to Tranquility Base must be near the top of the list.....

500N
10th Apr 2014, 13:58
That Aus to US flight is something else.

rgbrock1
10th Apr 2014, 14:09
500N wrote

That Aus to US flight is something else.

In what way?

500N
10th Apr 2014, 14:12
RGB

I was agreeing with "Curious Pax" post.

Take off, hardly any turns, sea all the way.

I used to think London to Melbourne with a couple of stops was a long flight
and I did that 24 times in 4 years, the Aus to US is something else in terms of length and lack of things to look at !

rgbrock1
10th Apr 2014, 14:15
500N wrote

the Aus to US is something else in terms of length and lack of things to look at !

You could always contemplate your navel: that's exciting innit? :}

500N
10th Apr 2014, 14:18
:O

These long and boring sectors, I normally sleep the whole way or most of it,
much to the cabin crews amazement.

rgbrock1
10th Apr 2014, 14:28
Lucky you 500N. I never sleep on an aircraft as I'm usually gripping onto the armrests for dear life. I'm also listening for unusual engine noises, odd aircraft movements, waiting with abated breath for the next round of turbulence, observing the behavior of other passengers, etc.
In other words I'm usually scared shitless when flying anywhere over 2 hours away.

Odd though, as I never had this problem flying in a -130, a Chinook, a MH-6 "little bird" or a UH-60 BH. Probably because I had access to either a 'chute or a rope! :ok:

Perhaps the next time I book a flight I should ask the airline for my own personal chute!

500N
10th Apr 2014, 14:34
"Perhaps the next time I book a flight"

Stay awake for 24 to 48 hours beforehand because as soon
as you get on the aircraft, you'll go to sleep !

Just like at the end of an exercise !!!

rgbrock1
10th Apr 2014, 14:48
500N:

Nah, I'll just get drunk instead. Not belligerently so but enough to enforce sleep! :ok::}

er340790
10th Apr 2014, 15:29
LAX to Tahiti was pretty quiet..... take off over Marina Del Rey and no sign of land for the whole 8 hours until touch-down.

A340s do have their uses after all.... :}

rgbrock1
10th Apr 2014, 15:30
Marina Del Rey? Isn't she a singer? :}

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 20:49
Any long flight over ocean/ice/desert with only one engine, and an HF set strapped to the top of your extra ferry fuel tank (which nobody answers your calls on anyway) is quite isolated.

Cliff Tait could tell you a thing or two about that!

Realising the mistake, Cliff recalculated a new course for Truk. At Moen, Cliff was once again welcomed by radio amateurs.
The aircraft's HF radio had proved unsuitable for airborne amateur contact because it was of too low a power and was only capable of AM while most amateurs were using the more modern mode of USB so Cliff became reliant on radio amateurs meeting him at stopovers. These proved invaluable, helping him keep in contact, through New Zealand amateurs , with his family.

Solo Flights around the World (http://www.soloflights.org/tait_text_e.html)

http://www.soloflights.org/images/miss-jacy_1.jpg

I recall a Pan Am crew who used to while away the lonely hours over the Pacific chatting on the Ham bands and especially the maritime mobile nets. I heard him participate in a couple of instances where he relayed health and other emergency messages and often assisted in the daily check in of cruising yachts from all around the Pacific.

ORAC
10th Apr 2014, 21:02
Lucky you 500N. I never sleep on an aircraft as I'm usually gripping onto the armrests for dear life. I'm also listening for unusual engine noises, odd aircraft movements, waiting with abated breath for the next round of turbulence hopefully you're not the captain.....

ExSp33db1rd
10th Apr 2014, 22:22
I recall a Pan Am crew who used to while away the lonely hours over the Pacific chatting on the Ham bands

We used to let the girls talk to the lonely men in Ice Station Eureka ( was that the right name ? ) when flying up and over the Pole. They ran a "Beauty Contest" of girls that they spoke to from the various airlines, and the winner was given a free ticket / holiday to meet the crew when they returned to their Boston base. ( not sure what happened to the girl in question - meeting many lonely men who had just spend some 3 months "posted" to the ice !!)

Doesn't matter how much HF gear one carried, just try raising Teheran in the middle of the night. One can be lonely in a crowd !

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2014, 22:31
They ran a "Beauty Contest" of girls that they spoke to from the various airlines,I used to have to talk almost daily to a young lady in Germany.

She had the most amazingly sexy voice and I "couldn't wait to meet her" when I got to visit the German office.

I received a warning from other staff not to expect too much, and, whilst she was no 'looker', she was a delight and pleasure to talk to.

I kept my word and took her out for dinner and had a successful evening together - though no 'romance'.

vulcanised
10th Apr 2014, 22:33
a young lay in Germany.

Funny how typos work sometimes ;)

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 22:38
Doesn't matter how much HF gear one carried, just try raising Teheran in the middle of the night. One can be lonely in a crowd !

In Rarotonga we used to hear Jeddah calling Damascus repeatedly and never seeming to get a reply. Sometimes the operators would call Jeddah but they would never respond.

Um... lifting...
10th Apr 2014, 22:49
This one, which goes 7 days per week, probably qualifies as the longest continuous period of darkness westbound.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=jnb-atl&PATH-COLOR=red

500N
10th Apr 2014, 22:53
How long is that flight and which airline does it ?

Um... lifting...
10th Apr 2014, 23:04
Delta 200 & 201. About 16 hours eastbound, 17 hours westbound. Longest flight in the world that goes both directions non-stop. Boeing 777-200LR. Departs JNB about 8:20 in the evening and arrives ATL by 6 something in the morning, depending upon time of year.

Qantas 7 SYD-DFW is slightly longer in distance, but shorter in time and only is non-stop eastbound.

ExSp33db1rd
10th Apr 2014, 23:08
Sometimes the operators would call Jeddah but they would never respond.

and of course one would hear Delhi saying ........ "Shut up,Bombay."

( sorry - back to the topic )

500N
10th Apr 2014, 23:09
That is the flight quite a few of my friends get when going to Africa.
Always say it is a long one.

Haven't done Syd - DFW yet. Done Melb - LAX which is bad enough !