PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Rules

bonzaii
10th Apr 2014, 05:10
Hi All, I looked and couldnt find anything, so apologizes if this is a repost.

Im a kiwi heading to Aus, Is there an easy summary, or any reference to different rules/requirements?

I will have a dig in the CASA site if I cant get an answer here, but if there is any easier way im keen.

Cheers

Old Akro
10th Apr 2014, 05:20
Slightly different radio procedure. Massively different terrain & weather. Forget CASA. Ask someone in NZ when you get there.

Mach E Avelli
10th Apr 2014, 05:42
You could do it the hard way and try to read all the AIP, CASR, CAR, CAO, CAAP, MOS, and various policy notices. After which you will be totally confused and will still stick out as a bloody furriner the moment you get on the radio.
Or the easy way, which is get a few rides with guys already doing it. Even if you have to buy all the beer. In a week you will have a handle on the differences, which in practice are not many. Just little things like we say 'leaving' or 'departed' where you seem to go on a lot of vacations.

Wally Mk2
10th Apr 2014, 05:49
"OA" I think you may have read the posters question in reverse, he's coming here so no massive terrain diff or Wx:-)
An interesting way of learning the local chit chat here in Oz is to get hold of a RX that covers the R/T of A/C, amazing the diff crap you hear from all those ply out airways, me included:-)

Wmk2

Seagull V
10th Apr 2014, 06:16
Bonzaii
If you fly VFR then the Visual Flight Rules Guide at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/vfr/vfrg-whole.pdf
will be of great help.

bonzaii
10th Apr 2014, 06:42
Hi Guys, Thanks for that, I hadnt even seen that guide, and yeah heading to the big red west island :P - is IFR pretty similar aswell?

Old Akro
10th Apr 2014, 06:42
Yes, I did read it the other way. But same advice applies!! Our radio protocol is faster with more abbreviations and our navigation is a bit more heading & time and less valley to valley.

bonzaii
10th Apr 2014, 07:16
good, nothing worse than some of the long "cross country" calls here. cheers

Jabawocky
10th Apr 2014, 09:21
Whatever you do.....DO NOT pick up this annoying kind of RT

BNE CEN FluffyDuck457 departed Emerald 43, tracking 110 climbing to FL230 pending clearance estimate NUTTER 18

And if you search here enough you will find a million other things that folk get annoyed by........probably me too! (Had to get that in before Wally did :} )

Otherwise relax bro! :ok:

Trent 972
10th Apr 2014, 11:07
I'm not sure the OP will understand what you were trying to say Jaba.
Maybe you should have given the example as

BNE CEN FluffyDick457 dipartid Imiruld 43, trucking 110 climbing to FL230 pinding clurunce istimut NUTTER 18.

Hope that helps. :}

mattyj
10th Apr 2014, 21:20
It's an indigenous sport that evolved in Victoria, vaguely related to Gaelic football. The game is played on an oval and has some relationship to soccer, basketball and rugby/rugby league. The main difference you will find is the uniforms which offer the participants no modesty whatsoever and veteran players have a higher level of prostate issues than the general population..

bonzaii
10th Apr 2014, 22:22
hahaha cheers mattyj - glad to have that one cleared right up for me :}

Jabawocky
11th Apr 2014, 11:39
I'm not sure the OP will understand what you were trying to say Jaba.
Maybe you should have given the example as

BNE CEN FluffyDick457 dipartid Imiruld 43, trucking 110 climbing to FL230 pinding clurunce istimut NUTTER 18.

Hope that helps.

you got me :} :ok:

We do love our k1w1 cuzzins

Avgas172
12th Apr 2014, 10:02

Or more correctly .... BNE CEN FluffyDick457 dipartid Imiruld 43, trucking 110 climbing to FL230 pinding clurunce istimut NUTTER 18. Bro ..... :cool: