PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy a new ute?

John Hill
9th Apr 2014, 22:42
Video: Holden VF Ute vs The Nurburgring ? record lap (http://video.carsguide.com.au/v/120674/Holden-VF-Ute-vs-The-Nurburgring-record-lap)

Maybe not for me and the 'record' is somewhat amusing.

500N
9th Apr 2014, 22:52
A bit like the stripped down mini van that that Lady German driver drove around for Top Gear. Very nearly got some sort of record !

Utes are great fun to drive being so "light".

fitliker
10th Apr 2014, 00:06
Is the helmet so your mates do not recognize you driving a confused vehicle ,Is it a car ,is it a truck ? How bad does your girlfriend smell if she has to ride in the back with the sheep ?
.Kinda like fat chicks and mopeds ,both fun to ride but do not let your mates see you doing either.

We were trading stories about past conquests over a few amber nectars. When we asked our token Kiwi mate if he had done a lot of courting in his youth .He began to count his old loves up using his fingers at first, but for some reason he fell asleep :)

500N
10th Apr 2014, 00:07
The Dog goes in the front seat and the GF in the back ;) :O

And then you only have the dog to worry about after a few days !!! LOL

Lancair70
10th Apr 2014, 01:50
Kinda like fat chicks and mopeds ,both fun to ride but do not let your mates see you doing either.

Err, quite clearly you've never driven a Holden SS Ute. 500N is on the money. Great fun to drive.

However, I must concede that the SS Ute isn't the most practical vehicle if you want to cart around dirty or heavy items, as most Utes' are generally intended to do. Most owners don't want scratches on their paint work.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 01:56
Most of those "SS" V6 and V8 utes are show cars driven by people who
want something different.

I have a Holden VR "S" Pack which was really just a normal 3L, V6 ute
with Mag wheels, ABS and couple of other things.

Awesome car but on dirt roads, if empty you needed to sacks of sand
in the back / tray to "dampen" down the suspension / springs otherwise
your tail got a bit "wobbly" so to speak !

But with a little bit of weight, I found it was like having a 4WD without
having a 4WD and mine went almost anywhere !!!

jolihokistix
10th Apr 2014, 02:29
Nice little video. Thanks. :ok:

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 03:01
I drive a ute because what would I ever need a back seat for? It is getting a bit old now, like the owner.

brickhistory
10th Apr 2014, 03:08
I did not know one could legally own a Ute in some places.

Here, we tend to frown on such:

www.utetribe.com (http://www.utetribe.com)

The Uintah and Ouray reservation is located
in Northeastern Utah (Fort Duchesne) approximately 150 miles east of Salt Lake City on US Highway 40. The reservation is located within a three-county area
known as the "Uintah Basin". It is the second largest Indian Reservation in the United States that covers over 4.5 million acres.

onetrack
10th Apr 2014, 03:14
I've seen more of those Commodore utes (and sedans) torn into halves after high speed impacts with power poles or trees, than any other vehicle - and generally with resulting fatalities.
They are built like a Jap tin toy of the 1950's, and they have very little body strength. I wouldn't be seen alive or dead in one.

Commodore ute torn in half when it hits tree (http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/pub/54273-vu-ss-torn-half-150kmh.html)

Commodore split by palm tree - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqOWAqiUZ5U

acbus1
10th Apr 2014, 08:19
I've just got the Diablo set up nicely and it cost me a fortune, so I'll stick with that, thanks.

Apart from which, AFAIK the Ute isn't on Gran Turismo 6 for Playstation 3.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 08:21
One track

No dispute about the less strength, the cabin is still solid though.

Then again, as per your link, if you drive at 150kmh in any car
and hit something that hard it ain't going to look pretty !!!

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 08:29
What do you mean 'less strength'? Are there any figures for that? I will be surprised if it is true as the utes have a bulkhead connecting the 'B' door pillars.

The only way a ute body might be weaker, IMHO, is in the vertical plane as there is no roof behind the 'B' pillars but on the other hand the 'B' pillars are connected to the rear of the vehicle by a fixed double walled construction rather than a door.

As far as I know the GMH utes are still a single construction whereas the utes from Geelong have the cabin quite isolated from the cargo box connected only by chassis members.

Worrals in the wilds
10th Apr 2014, 08:33
Kinda like fat chicks and mopeds ,both fun to ride but do not let your mates see you doing either.
Aren't they cool in New Zealand? It seems like every trendy young (or youngish :}) bloke in Queensland's got one that's souped up to the max and decked out with construction-style accoutrements, even if they're a actually a chartered accountant and only use the tray for carring bags of potting mix.

Maybe it's a 'mining chic' thing.

Pinky the pilot
10th Apr 2014, 08:51
Around these parts it seems a lot of the young 'uns tend to cover their utes with stickers from various B & S Balls, Bundy Rum stickers, Kenworth truck mudflaps and hang oversize bullbars off the front. Then mount multiple driving spotlights on said bullbar.

Then add at least three radio aerials, on the roof and on the top corners of the bull bar.

And when driving on the highway, some adopt the 'oh so cool':rolleyes: manner of hanging their entire right arm out of the window.:ugh:

This generally results in a not so amused Police Officer eventually collaring them, hopefully before they wind up with the unfortunate nickname of either "Lefty' or 'Stumpy' due to a sideswipe accident.:uhoh:

Which has happened at least once in SA in the last few years AFAIK.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 09:00
You forgot the one "must have" sticker.

Conargo pub :ok:

I had one on mine :O

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 09:19
The ute thing is past its peak in NZ with all the tradesmen etc going for the probably more useful white Toyota van.

Young country folks like their 4WDs and I dont blame them. The doublecab Japanese utes (pickups really) are very popular too.

However the utes you do see around here are old utes lovingly preserved and driven by hat wearing olde phartes or the super hot Holden Special Vehicles and Ford Performance Vehicle models (or whatever each are called nowadays). Real work utes are rare and limited to the bosses of building companies and such like.

My wife has the 'flash car' whereas I still have my XR6 Tickford ute from 1999 which was made in the last week that Ford built 'real utes' (one piece body). I have been the only driver and it gives the impression of being able to provide another 15 years of comfortable cruising and there is always room when she asks "can we take this?"

Worrals in the wilds
10th Apr 2014, 10:07
The ute thing is past its peak in NZ with all the tradesmen etc going for the probably more useful white Toyota van.Fair enough. That was The Look in the 1980s, I guess everything old is new again.
Around these parts it seems a lot of the young 'uns tend to cover their utes with stickers from various B & S Balls, Bundy Rum stickers, Kenworth truck mudflaps and hang oversize bullbars off the front. Then mount multiple driving spotlights on said bullbar.Yep Pinky, that's the animal. Usually driven erratically by some bozo who's eating a pie with one hand, updating Facebook on his mobile with the other and steering with his knees :uhoh:. They hate being cut off by female drivers, particularly when said girly 4 cylinder car has a better pickup than their stoopid ute. :E:}

Smeagol
10th Apr 2014, 10:23
Drove a Holden Ute ( being a Brit we called them Pick-ups) for several years when working in the oilfields of Sumatra in the early '80s.

Brilliant vehicle which would go most places that a 4WD could get to and was a lot easier to control on the ' dirt and oil' roads which when wet (every day somewhere!) were like driving on ice.
But as 500N has already said, some weight in the back was needed. We found a 3/4" plate welded flat worked wonders!

As to stickers, I say a similar vehicle in Hahndorf, SA when visiting there around that time which had a magnificent set of 'roo bars with a small sticker on the side, nothing ostentatious, which simply said "Volvo Proof".;)

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Apr 2014, 10:29
I did not know one could legally own a Ute in some places.

Good catch...:}

We calls 'em bakkies (pronounced 'bucky') Mr Brick. Couple of the trendier city dwellers drive them and have designer mud applied, but you can always spot the type. They tend to be big shiny versions of the latest models. The real hard working ones look the part and are usually driven by farmers and the like. They're also generally not this year or last year's model, but rather half a decade or more in age.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/s403x403/10245493_625407227524666_612046903_n.jpg

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 10:36
...when working in the oilfields of Sumatra in the early '80s.

Ah, that would have been the WB or maybe earlier HZ models, both excellent examples of the genre.:ok: (Cue the grammar nazi.)

Smeagol
10th Apr 2014, 11:44
It was all a long time ago.......... but just googled those designations and it would seem that my regular vehicle (company number was 1x3068 - amazing how some things stick in the mind!) was an HZ as it was the 3.3 litre engine. We did have some older 2.8 litre engined vehicles and there were ex-company ones in use by locals that went back many years !
They are all mostly still there and being used by someone I expect.

edit

Just looked some more and it was a WB. The 2.8 litres were the previous shape ie HZ

onetrack
10th Apr 2014, 11:52
Google hereby present - for the rest of the worlds entertainment - our home-grown Aussie rednecks, who are immediately identifiable by their ownership of a "B&S ute" (B&S standing for "Bachelors & Spinsters Ball" - another unique Aussie rural event, usually consisting of hundreds of teenagers and young adults of both sexes, accompanied by copious amounts of liquor, and much testosterone and rampant hormones). :)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bns+ute&safe=off&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=83NGU9TaJMLnkAWVz4HYBA&ved=0CDgQ7Ak&biw=1280&bih=675#imgdii=_

Such utes are instantly identifiable from 3kms away, via the bullbar that weighs about 1/4 the weight of the rest of the vehicle - numerous aerials, plus truck-size R.M. Williams mudflaps - dozens of decals that loudly proclaim, "DILLAGAF", "BUNDY RUM", "GET OFF MY ASS" - and various other in-your-face pronouncements - and driven as aggressively as Marge Simpson driving out of traffic jams, in her 4WD Ford Expedition with the 35" Cooper tyres. :)

cattletruck
10th Apr 2014, 12:36
Owner of a small engineering workshop has two utes, one is a modern Toyota Hi Ace and the other is Holden ute from the 70's. Both are 1 tonners.

One day he had to deliver a large 600kg piece of engineering work with a high centre of gravity and loaded it on the back of the Toyota. An hour later the Toyota returns back to base with the unit undelivered and a twisted chassis.

The 600kg piece of engineering work is then loaded onto the old Holden and a successful delivery is made without any issues.

The owner assures me that the old Holden is easily capable of carrying more than 1 tonne, where as the Toyota is barely there.

chuks
10th Apr 2014, 12:50
That was no "world record," but just a fast time on one particular version of the Nordschleife. It was a very neat piece of driving, but it's just fluff to call that a world record.

The best utes I ever saw were Toyota Land Cruiser double-cabs set up for the Sahara desert: hairy water bags hanging off the bull bar and the roll bar, a load of guys in "sheshes," two 80-litre diesel tanks fitted, and everything the color of sand and mud. Think of that scene from Crocodile Dundee where he shows that would-be mugger what a real knife looks like. Well, that's what a real ute looks like! Out there in the Sahara they play for keeps, and the Toyota is the vehicle of choice, either the ute or the regular Land Cruiser.

It was interesting to compare a Land Cruiser I had in the States to the ones we used in the desert.

The American version, a 2002 model, I think, had a 4.7-litre petrol V-8 and an automatic transmission, independent front suspension, power everything, a power sunroof, automatic climate control, a JBL sound system with six or eight speakers, leather seats, bucket seats in front, wool carpets, alloy wheels and double-pack paint.

The desert version had a straight-six diesel and a manual transmission, a beam front axle, power steering and brakes, split-rim steel wheels with 7.50x16 sand tires, plastic upholstery, a bench seat in front, rubber floor mats, and plain, off-white paint. It had air-conditioning, but I don't think it even had a heater-defroster, and it had no radio as delivered; it was purely a workhorse.

If any of you saw that Top Gear program where they tried and failed to kill a Toyota ute, even leaving it atop a building under demolition ... that is the vehicle that provides the underpinnings for the desert Land Cruiser, I think.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 12:54
Am afraid to say that even the tough Toyota's are going the way of the softies.

Modern Hiluxes have lost a bit of their halo, Mitsub Triton and
VW Amorak has stolen a bit of the market.

Landcruisers, well, not quite as tough as they used to be.

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 20:31
I expect this thread to be deleted soon.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 20:33
Why ?

Nothing bad in it.

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 21:05
Yeabut what happened to the topic Chuks and I had started about the DHC6?

I suspect trolls have a new Kamikaze** tactic. Post something outrageous and get the topic deleted. The ones doing the damage are probably sock puppets.

Odd how the Korea thread got deleted just after another poster entered the room opening with an attack on me.

**Capitalised especially for Chuks.

Now back to the subject of utes, a little limerick..

"I drove me ute around Downunder
saw Uluru it was a wonder
stopped for a meal
at Cammooweal
just up the road I had to chunder."

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 21:18
Utes are not really for carrying stuff, they are more like personal transport with an enormous trunk/boot.

However I did once carry a Jersey cow on a ute but she was placid old girl who was happy to lie down and not struggle to get up. There was a lot of slobber to clean off the back window though!

500N
10th Apr 2014, 21:40
A ute is just a cut down version of the old "Shaggin Wagon" :O
but with the bed space still available but "open air".

"Shaggin Wagon" as in Panel Van !

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 21:44
Shaggin wagons are only required by those who still live at home with Mum and Dad.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 21:57
They make great work vehicles and great camping cars.

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 22:14
...........oh there are other reasons.

I wouldn't know never having seen the need for a bit on the side.

John Hill
10th Apr 2014, 22:14
They make great work vehicles and great camping cars.

But other vehicle types do those jobs better.

Worrals in the wilds
11th Apr 2014, 00:03
They were pretty cool though.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/4/3/2/5/3/webimg/512191154_tp.jpg
A few years ago Holden did a one-off new Sandman (I can't remember the model, maybe a VX?). It was orange with a custom Mambo paint job and interior, and was totally awesome. :cool:

I saw it at the Motor Show and (like thousands of other people) asked them when the production model was being released. 'Oh we're not actually releasing them, it's just a one-off. Everyone's been asking!' was the answer :ugh:. There's part of the reason why Holden are no longer Australia's highest selling car manufacturer.

EDIT: here it is. They could have sold zillions of them.
http://images-2.drive.com.au/2011/04/21/2319500/sandman_729.jpg

500N
11th Apr 2014, 00:20
Worrals

For the want of a few pressed sheets of metal and a paint job.

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 00:34
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/dajwid/IMG_1944_zps3a98ac56.jpg

The Skoda Fun ute, those seats fold forward to close the back of the cabin and become a conventional ute.

Pappa Smurf
11th Apr 2014, 02:02
Worrals,
There are a few of those Panel Vans getting around but not painted in Sandman colours.
GMH didn't do them but some coach builder.They weren't cheap and still had the rear of the cabin in place,window and all.

500N
11th Apr 2014, 02:05
Money isn't a problem at that level.

Just look at the Monaro !

It's like people buy a Harley, Big Boat, 2nd flash car etc etc.

So as Worrals said, if they had made them, they would have sold them.

Pinky the pilot
11th Apr 2014, 03:37
"DILLAGAF", "BUNDY RUM", "GET OFF MY ASS" - and various other in-your-face pronouncements - and driven as aggressively as Marge Simpson driving out of traffic jams, in her 4WD Ford Expedition with the 35" Cooper tyres.

Don't forget the stickers 'CAUTION; VEHICLE FREQUENTLY SIDEWAYS.' and
'NO UTE, NO CIRCLE WORK.'

The local Coppers roll their eyes when they see those!

So as Worrals said, if they had made them, they would have sold them.

Agreed. Remember the disappointment amongst the motoring writers when GMH did the same with the one-off Effijay?

Makes you wonder if the company actually ever wanted to keep manufacturing in Australia.:hmm:

As for the albeit briefly reborn Monaro; I wasn't really impressed. Just a two door Commodore really!:*

onetrack
11th Apr 2014, 03:46
@John Hill - Putting "Skoda" and "fun" into the same sentence, is about the same as putting "North Korea" and "fun", into the same sentence, isn't it?? :) ;)

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 04:01
I guess you have had not experience of either.:zzz:

500N
11th Apr 2014, 04:04
The ute might be good down the beach or as a light weight shooting wagon
so could probably be fun and worth trying.

North Korea wouldn't even be worth trying :O

Worrals in the wilds
11th Apr 2014, 04:36
GMH didn't do them but some coach builder.Thanks, I didn't know that.

Modern Skodas are actually quite nice, albiet boring. I liked the modern Monaros but they were really expensive, particularly for what was basically a Commodore coupe. I haven't seen many around recently so I'm guessing that they didn't age well.

Don't forget the stickers 'CAUTION; VEHICLE FREQUENTLY SIDEWAYS.' and
'NO UTE, NO CIRCLE WORK.'My favourite is 'yes this is my ute and no, I won't help you move.':E

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 04:43
Skoda is a very old car company and have made some very nice vehicles in their time, not so many when under a communist command economy.

The little Skoda Felicia Cabriolet of 1960..
http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/plugins/PostviaEmail/images/1961_Skoda_Felicia_Cabriolet_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

onetrack
11th Apr 2014, 05:10
You're showing a picture of a vastly different Skoda as compared to the rubbishy, fault-prone, VW clones produced nowadays. :(

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 05:13
Well, thats a commie Skoda. Besides, I thought the present day ones really are VW's?

onetrack
11th Apr 2014, 05:15
Like so much that is Communist-inspired and Communist-origin - looks good at a cursory inspection - it's the in-depth inspection, and long-term reliability, is where it all tends to fall apart. :)

I was under the impression Skoda operated as a stand-alone subsidiary of VW, producing their own body styles, but using all VW components.

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 05:31
Oh yes, there is always an explanation!;)

Worrals in the wilds
11th Apr 2014, 05:39
You're showing a picture of a vastly different Skoda as compared to the rubbishy, fault-prone, VW clones produced nowadays. :(
Have you heard bad things about them? I know a couple of people with Skodas and they seem happy enough.

Pappa Smurf
11th Apr 2014, 06:29
Re-panelvans,
Just checked an it was VY models.
"Holden by Design"made the canopies to fit over the ute for around 5grand extra.They could also supply the sandman stickers.
300 were made.
Think the previous picture was a 1 off VU.

Worrals in the wilds
11th Apr 2014, 08:08
Cheers for that. The timing would be right for a VU, though I don't remember exactly what year it was.
It was definitely a one-off and IIRC some famous footy star bought it from Holden after they took it around the motor shows.
It had custom seats that were orange leather with yellow trim. :cool:

chuks
11th Apr 2014, 08:10
Southern Vermont seems to have a lot of pick-up trucks (utes) on its roads. The best-selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford F-150 pick-up, and a 4x4 pick-up seems to be the default option for native Vermonters.

Of course the in-comers seem to favor rusty Subaru Foresters, the more stickers the better: "Obama-Biden, Change You Can Believe In; No to Atomic Power! Honk if you are a lesbian! Bi-sexuals have more fun; Love your sandals, don't eat them;" that sort of stuff, but for a native, a big pick-up with a plow attachment on the front and a trailer hitch at the back is the way to go. How they afford the fuel is a mystery to me, since those things guzzle gas chugging up and down the Green Mountains. I noticed that my Land Crusher only got about 11 mpg in local driving, but about 14 running steady on the flats, with the difference being the energy needed to pull almost two tons of Jap steel up a mountain. Just a "donut and instant coffee" run into town to Price Chopper cost me about $5 in fuel, no joke.

There's another sub-species of ute in the States: the Harley pick-up, a monster truck with "Harley Davidson" stickers all over it, along with a few skulls dripping blood, or what-not, maybe a "You can take my gun, but only from my cold, dead hand." You are guaranteed an encounter with amazingly crap driving when one of those heaves into view, so that caution is advised.

Here in high-speed Germany utes are rare, although I have seen some VW Amaroks lately, and, once or twice, these crazy Dodge Ram thingies with the huge Hemi V-8. That one you have to shut the engine off when refuelling, not for fire safety but because you can't pump the fuel in fast enough to keep up with consumption.

Ancient Mariner
11th Apr 2014, 10:38
Onetrack:
"You're showing a picture of a vastly different Skoda as compared to the rubbishy, fault-prone, VW clones produced nowadays."

I would not say that my 2012 Superb Estate, L&K, 170 hp TDI 4x4 is rubbish. Quite on the contrary, one of the very few cars given 5 stars by Car Magazine.
I've driven it in the winter on mountain roads in Norway and on the Autobahns and the Autovias in the summer time. With the aid of a small chip it will happily cruise at 200 km/h with a very decent mpg. After nearly 45.000 km and one new set of summer tyres I'm rather happy with the car.
You should try one.
Per

chuks
11th Apr 2014, 12:51
You can depend on the Germans to do this, but you can forget all those "Skoda jokes," such as "Can I get a filler cap for my Skoda?" "Sounds like a fair trade, Mate!" Those were for the old, Communist-era cars, not the modern ones, which are no joke.

The modern ones share platforms, powertrains and many major components with other VW, Audi, and SEAT models, and in at least one German comparison test, a Skoda has beaten the equivalent VW model.

You often see the Superb used here as a taxi, showing that it must be pretty good. I got a ride in one and spoke to my driver, when he said it was a good car, but that he found the seat a bit uncomfortable. That was his only criticism.

That last Commie Skoda ... we had a few in Nigeria. The car had this yawning, great, awkwardly-shaped, boot in the front, where the engine was originally meant to go, and the engine crammed into the back, into what had been meant to be the boot! Then, the car had those center-pivot rear axles, so that the handling was as vile as its looks; it was a real death-trap in the rain, especially on those wooden East-bloc tires.

Sorry for the drift, there.

John Hill
11th Apr 2014, 20:37
. The car had this yawning, great, awkwardly-shaped, boot in the front, where the engine was originally meant to go, and the engine crammed into the back, into what had been meant to be the boot! Then, the car had those center-pivot rear axles, so that the handling was as vile as its looks; it was a real death-trap in the rain...

Sounds like you had a VW, Porsche, Renault.....

For fun time you really needed one of these...

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/07/550x401xtrekka7-550x401.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RTAkxYYcWU.jpg

Skoda mechanicals under a simple sheet steel body, whole books were published with jokes about the Trekka. Most of them were supplied with a fibreglass canopy and in many cases that is all that survives and does stirling duty as a goat shelter or the top of a garden shed.

bnt
11th Apr 2014, 21:27
I read the title as "time to buy a new uke". Not quite as practical, a ukuklele isn't useful for much more than causing a public nuisance until it's smashed over some drongo's head ... :hmm:

pigboat
11th Apr 2014, 21:32
I read the title as "time to buy a new uke".
As did I. Oh well, one could tip toe through the tulips in it. Here's a version of the Merc that might do the trick.

http://www.youdrivewhat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/yd2.jpg

onetrack
12th Apr 2014, 02:39
Re Skoda's .. the reasons I won't be buying one anytime soon ...

Resale - 29% of new purchase price when just 5 yrs old (amongst the worst in Australia) ..
Sales - declining sales figures of around 13% annually, rather than increasing sales figures ..

Words that will instill horror upon research ..

DSG gearbox nightmares ..
VW/Skoda non-existent warranty back and parts availability (even admitted to, by VW Australia) ..
Cheap cabin plastics, paint, and materials that don't cope well with harsh Aussie climate ..
VW/Skoda electronics complexity and problems (seen the size of the owners manuals??) ..
New Skoda pricing, that is "being re-targeted downwards to match Hyundai and Kia pricing" :rolleyes: ..
New Chinese factories to produce Skoda parts and cars :rolleyes: ..

Thanks for the personal recommendations - but Subi's are all the go, around this family .. :)
Until you've driven a Subi CVT, you don't realise how technologically-retarded many other makes are ..

halas
12th Apr 2014, 03:48
Another must have ute sticker: Milk comes in 2 litres.

halas

chuks
12th Apr 2014, 07:41
The DSG gearbox is a big problem for VW across several product lines, the wrong fluid leading to some kind of contamination or something. They fixed that, but not before making a lot of customers very, very unhappy.

I can see where the heat and sun in Oz might be tough on the plazzie interiors. Personally, I switched from a VW Passat to a BMW 3-series, mainly because of the obvious cheepniss in what was not an inexpensive car, plus they wanted twelve hundred euros for a new exhaust system, which I thought was VW having it on. (This was a VR5 with full-time 4WD, a model that used a fairly uncommon exhaust system, one that cost about double what it should have. I was merely tired of VW before that, then I was pissed off!)

Here in Germany a lot of folks only keep a car for a few years, so that long-term issues do not crop up, and the Skoda is very popular. It's not that I personally would want to buy one, no, just that they are nothing like what they were, a joke.

John Hill
12th Apr 2014, 08:50
Not to forget of course this ute...

http://www.powerful-cars.com/images/veb-sachsenring/312-pickup-210-001.jpg

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2014, 11:28
A couple of days ago I caught a passing glimpse of an unusual 'pickup'.
Last evening I caught it parked outside the village shop - it's a Holden HSV 6 litre V8 that the current owner has had for just two weeks.

It was dark (8:30 pm) so I wasn't able to photograph it, but I'll keep a lookout and catch it when I can so that I can positively identify it as to which model it is, but from memory it looked like a VF Commodore SS V (based on a look on the interweb).

John Eacott
12th Apr 2014, 12:11
Of course, there are a few utes kicking around that one tries to keep clear of. This one is often around our area, sometimes with JetPilot stickers in the back window just to further confuse the unwary :rolleyes:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/Kazz100/ute_zps642fc0aa.jpg

John Hill
12th Apr 2014, 12:22
A fairly old police ute from around here..
http://www.111emergency.co.nz/Police/Patrols/PoliceHoldenUte2.jpg

Maybe a dog wagon or what the truckies call a 'mermaid', c**t with scales.

onetrack
12th Apr 2014, 13:07
This a proper dog ute - the one that all the crims on the run, on foot, fear ... :)

Police dog ute (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/AFP_K9_Unit_-_2007-2008_Holden_VE_Ute_Omega_1.jpg)

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2014, 13:12
I presume that the 'dog crate' has to be air-conditioned?

onetrack
12th Apr 2014, 13:33
It sure is. The cage receives cool ducted air from the vehicles air-conditioning system, and there's a whirly vent in the roof of the canopy to release hot air.
If the vehicle is parked up, the dog usually goes with its handler, unless it's only a very short stop.

Here in West Oz, the dog squad use a Commodore station wagon for moving the dogs around.

The dog handler I've seen is about 6' 5' in the old money, and he's accompanies by the biggest, meanest-looking black Alsatian I've seen in a long time. The sight of either is probably enough to make the average crims blood get chilled.

Car thieves usually abandon the car and do a runner - but they very rarely escape the dog.
I reckon the most pleasant sound one could hear (and one heard regularly, apparently) is the car thief in hiding, screaming out, "call the dog off!, call the dog off!!" :)
The police usually drag them out of their hidey-hole, with a few bite marks on arms and legs - and the dog still wants to grab them at all times. :)

Here's a WAPOL dog in training. I sure wouldn't like those teeth sinking into my bare arm!!

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/03/16/1226302/059802-police-dogs.jpg

cattletruck
12th Apr 2014, 14:17
Still see a few of these utes out and about

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay504039.jpg

Worrals in the wilds
13th Apr 2014, 06:54
Re onetrack's pic, as a Fed wagon it probably transports AFP bomb dogs, who are the nicest, most decent and motivated federal public servants/officers you will ever meet. :} they also whine less than the two legged variety.:E

500N
13th Apr 2014, 07:06
I had to teach E&E lessons using an attack dog, my arm / shoulder was always sore at the end. Part of The lesson was how to dispatch one of those fogs without weapons.