PDA

View Full Version : When in doubt...bribe !..or Victorian values for the 21st century

Krystal n chips
9th Apr 2014, 15:06
The problem with white elephants is to get the herd, as it were, moving.

HS2 is no exception to this golden rule and the Victorian railway builders far from averse to bribery etc. etc

History of rail transport in Great Britain 1830?1922 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_Great_Britain_1830%E2%80%931922 )

Given the often heard mantra of "Victorian values" it's nice to see old habits being resuscitated in the name of progress.....obviously one persons incentive is another's bribe, but such is the problem with semantics...

BBC News - New HS2 compensation announced (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26952238)

On a more positive railway note however.....

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/stafford-crewe/nortonbridge/

I suppose this will be the end of the ghost station then ?;)

Saintsman
9th Apr 2014, 19:58
It's not a bribe, it's an inducement.

Different things.

airship
9th Apr 2014, 20:31
According to Krystal n chips link to the BBC report: Under the proposals the state would buy properties within 60 metres of the line at the full market value plus 10%.

Those up to 120 metres away, who do not want to move, would be eligible for a payment of 10% of the home's value.

For some strange reason, I find the 2nd proposition above to be quite suspect. Perhaps almost "tailor-made" for the 1 or 2 MPs or Lords who might actually somewhat directly benefit from this...?! The 1st proposition is obviously completely devoid of any worth. In the past, perhaps 20% of those concerned in such "forced purchases" might have been suitably compensated. The remaining 80% can only look forwards to being well and truly-screwed... :}

ExRAFRadar
10th Apr 2014, 06:22
I've always found this situation interesting.
We are a Democracy, led to believe that the Liberal free market working through the free exchange of money is the way we do business.
And the highest sign we can erect to this is for anyone with the ability to be able to buy their own property.
How much of British Law is related to the acquiring, building and inheritance of property ?
And yet the State can compulsory purchase any property it likes (except I suspect Royal) for the greater good.
How does this square with the mantra "An Englishman's home is his castle" ?
Sounds very Soviet to me.
I'm off to do some research, just because I am a bit bored at present.

acbus1
10th Apr 2014, 06:39
up to 120 metres away...

...within 60 and 120 metres

...within 120 and 300 metres

Multiply by a least five and apply for our permission again.

Permission because these people are supposed to be Public Servants.

Talking of Victorian values, would anyone like to guess how many Public Servants there were administrating the British Empire when it was at its most extensive?

Answer later.

ExRAFRadar
10th Apr 2014, 07:25
Okay this is fascinating stuff.

Here is section 6 of the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965. The bits I have highlighted in bold are the reason the act is called what it is and in the final say the reason why they do not need your permission to buy your property.

9 Refusal to convey, failure to make title, etc.
(l) If the owner Of any of the land purchased by the acquiring authority, or Of any interest in the land so purchased, on tender Of the compensation agreed or awarded to be paid in respect Of the land or interest refuses to accept it, or neglects or fails to make out a title to the land or interest to the satisfaction of the acquiring authority, or refuses to convey or release the land as directed by
the acquiring authority, it shall be lawful for the acquiring authority to pay into court the compensation payable in respect Of the land or interest.
(2) The compensation so paid into court shall, subject to the provisions Of this Act, be placed to the credit of the parties interested in the land and the acquiring authority shall, so far as they can,give their descriptions.
(3) When the acquiring authority have paid into court the compensation, it shall be lawful for them to execute a deed poll containing a description Of the land in respect Of which the payment into court was made, and declaring the circumstances under which, and the names Of the parties to whose credit, the payment into court was made.
(4) On execution of the deed poll all the estate and interest in the land of the parties for whose use and in respect whereof the compensation was paid into court shall vest absolutely in the acquiring authority and as against those persons the acquiring authority shall be entitled to immediate possession of the land.

ExRAFRadar
10th Apr 2014, 07:28
One thing I was not aware of.
They do not even have to buy your whole property.
If you have a 100 foot garden and they only need 25 feet of it, technically they can just CPO that bit.
The Act even mentions they can take part of your building it if does not materially effect your way of using the building.
Now that's a spare bedroom tax....

ExRAFRadar
10th Apr 2014, 07:43
Re the number of civil servants administering the British Empire (without googling)

Wasn't it a few thousand ?

But it's a bit misleading because most of the BE was administered by Military forces or private quasi-military companies (eg. East India Company).

Factor in British influence in places like India, where the Caste system was used to great effect by British administrators to implement administrative control, and you can see that unless we consider indigenous peoples who reported to British commanders/administrators we are not going to get a true count of who administered the British Empire.

But I think we can all agree that administrators and civil servants of all kind will be on the 1st Ark Ship (Apologies to Douglas Adams) :)