PDA

View Full Version : BT account phishing email

Blues&twos
8th Apr 2014, 18:41
Hello. Over the last couple of weeks I've received two emails purporting to be from BT. I'm quite used to receiving phishing emails, and how to spot them, so ignored and deleted the first one. The second one was better than most, referred to the previous email having had no response and was very well constructed (at first glance it appeared to come from BT, with grammatically correct English and decent graphics. However, it didn't mention my name and instructed me to 'link' my email address to my broadband account otherwise my email address would stop working on 14th April. Odd,I thought, as it must already be associated with my BT account. Lots of links to various unknown places, too. A quick visit directly to the BT website seemed to confirm my suspicions, and a phone call to them confirmed it.

Just in case anyone else has also got any of these notifications.
I have forwarded the email to: [email protected]

mixture
8th Apr 2014, 20:21
Grammatically correct English and decent graphics in an email purporting to come from BT ? That alone should have rung alarm bells ! :)

Well spotted anyway, and good on you for reporting it.

piemanpete
12th Apr 2014, 15:39
What would have aroused my suspicions would be the notion of BT being so proactively helpful.

BT is my ISP, worst luck, and a less helpful, more unresponsive or less monolithically uninterested company would be very hard to find!

As soon as my contract minimum is up I will be seeking a new ISP, oh yes.

mixture
12th Apr 2014, 17:14
BT is my ISP, worst luck, and a less helpful, more unresponsive or less monolithically uninterested company would be very hard to find!

Yup. That's what happens when you're in a monopolistic position.

The only people who think BT are not a monopoly are BT themselves and the various governments over the years who have been lobbied.