PDA

View Full Version : Firefox profile transfer

BOAC
8th Apr 2014, 16:52
My aeons old 32bit W7 machine finally fell to pieces last week and I have a new 64bit with SSD.

The last backup of Firefox data is a month old and I ideally need the latest additions to favourites. I am aiming to transfer my 2 SATA drives to the new machine - can I just copy the profile json file over to the new Win7 folders or is there more to it?

Keef
8th Apr 2014, 17:03
You can transfer it over, but it's not quite that simple.

You should find in the depths of your system the "profile" which is normally a folder with random letters then .default

Set up your new Firefox with nothing more than the "default" that it applies.

Close Firefox and copy the xsr43lkj89xcorblimeymate.default from the old machine to the powwhambatmaxxx7364.default of the new one.

Restart the new one, and open Firefox. If you're lucky, you've won.

A clue: the .default files usually live in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Firefox\Profiles - or something like that. I got so fed up with searching for them that mine live in I:\Profile which I can find easily. Mail is in I:\Mail which works well, too. I stands for Internet, me being a simple soul.

I don't know where the "disable BBCode" lives on PPRuNe

Rwy in Sight
8th Apr 2014, 17:12
I need to switch from XP to a free operating system and I would like to copy the bookmarks of the FF to an external drive. Any ideas how to do it?

Rwy in Sight

BOAC
8th Apr 2014, 17:23
Thanks Keef - the 'disable' should be at the bottom of the edit panel.

RIS = Google? You need to look up 'Export Frirefox favourites.' Like what I wish I had dun in time........................:ouch: Mind you, if I had been able to foresee the Bios chip was going down(up?) the Swannee I might have bet on The Grand National......

As ever, Keef - you are a star!

Saab Dastard
8th Apr 2014, 18:04
Fixed it for you Keef! :)

Additional Options > Miscellaneous Options > Disable smilies in text

SD

BOAC
8th Apr 2014, 18:54
Keef - as I said, bottom of the edit box!

Keef
8th Apr 2014, 19:27
Continuous learning, innit ;)

Rwy in Sight
8th Apr 2014, 19:43
BOAC,

I am afraid I spend far too much time on PPRuNe and I use it as a reference for most things I need. Google is an obvious solution my friend installing the free OS is a better one.
Maybe you should have consulted PPRuNe as well particularly the "experts" at the MH 370 threads. They would have given you the odds.

Rwy in Sight

BOAC
8th Apr 2014, 19:55
They would have given you the odds. - aye, laddie, but the post would'na have lasted on the thread.....................