PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Hole, Wyoming

rgbrock1
8th Apr 2014, 15:00
The Mrs. and I are deciding where to go this summer for a short-ish outing. I've been fortunate enough to have visited most states in the U.S. but Wyoming isn't one of them although I've been wishing to do so for awhile now.
The Mrs. agrees with this choice.

Specifically I think we might like Jackson Hole.

Anyone been there? Where to stay and all that great stuff.

Input appreciated.

Flash2001
8th Apr 2014, 15:06
On your way, contrive to spend at least 1 night at the Little America Inn in Cheyenne, just excellent all around!

After an excellent landing etc...

West Coast
8th Apr 2014, 15:30
Am there frequently. Nice, but expensive town. A good kickoff point for surrounding activities.

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Apr 2014, 15:31
Or the Nagle Warren Mansion B+B in Cheyenne, probably one of the quirkiest places we ever stayed but it was an outstandingly nice place :ok:

The Devils Tower of Close Encounters fame near Gillette is also very well worth a visit and if your travels allow the Crazy Horse monument in Sth Dakota was awesome :ok:

You are also not a million miles from Yellowstone, we stayed in the official Park Lodges which were OK, not great nut OK and made getting about pretty easy :ok:

Dushan
8th Apr 2014, 15:41
There was a mini RWS bash in JH, last September. Check out the pictures thread.

It's a nice place, lots of natural wonders. Yellowstone is near by.

racedo
8th Apr 2014, 15:46
Almost got married there to a Texan................ think was lucky escape for both of us.

crispey
8th Apr 2014, 16:39
I second Seldomfitfor purpose's remarks.And the Grand Tetons are very close if you like a bit of hiking/climbing.Got a nice pair of Timberland shoes there in the 1980s.Half UK price at the time.And still going strong.

Looking at charts/youtube etc it would be pretty cool to fly in there.

con-pilot
8th Apr 2014, 17:52
I've been there quite a bit, but sadly not recently. It is a great place to spend at least a week, as other posters had posted, there is a lot to see around there and it is a beautiful area of the US.

If you are not driving in your POV, you really have to rent a car to do any justice when it comes to sightseeing.

Have a great time if you go. :ok:

rgbrock1
8th Apr 2014, 17:54
Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like a really interesting place which has a lot of what the Mrs. and I like to do: hiking, the great outdoors, dining, etc.

con: we'll fly into Wyoming but definitely rent a vehicle while there for just the reason you stated.

con-pilot
8th Apr 2014, 17:58
Looking at charts/youtube etc it would be pretty cool to fly in there.

It is on a nice clear day it certainly is, however, at night and/or IMC it is a bit never racking, you have to fly the procedures and make the approaches, even if you breakout early on the approach.

Not a place to take any shortcuts while IMC or at night.

West Coast
8th Apr 2014, 19:56
No shortcuts, unfortunately some have tried and paid with their lives.

BenThere
8th Apr 2014, 20:15
You bring your A-game when flying into Jackson Hole even more than you do when flying into LaGuardia. It's a narrow valley surrounded by towering peaks.

I was jumpseating in there on my last visit, September, 2013, meeting Brick andDushan for a tag team trolling planning session. I was in an A-319. The aircraft in front of us on final was a 2 seat experimental. It crashed, killing the two on board. The weather was clear, with gusty winds. The takeaway is that you prepare if you're going to fly in there.

But it's maybe the prettiest place you're ever going to see. Majestic, rugged mountain peaks enclosing a narrow, green valley. The town square park has arches at each entry point made of elk horns. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar has saddles with stirrups mounted on posts for bar stools. The finest firing range I've ever seen is a few miles out of town. Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are local. How can it get any better than that?

Wyoming, I think, will be the last refuge of the 20th century Free Man.

con-pilot
8th Apr 2014, 20:31
The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar

That's the place I was trying to think of. Ya gots to go there and have a few beers or more RG. :ok:

Gordy
8th Apr 2014, 20:54
I will be on fire contract just over the Tetons from there in Swan Valley, Idaho. Have spent many nights in Jackson Hole while working fires. I hate the FBO there, they always treat us like crap. I was once asked to leave the pilot room.....I guess because I was not wearing a white shirt and bars....

You could not ask for better country to spend a week. Over the years with having a fire contract in Pocatello, I have spent many days off in the region...here is a list of things to consider in no particular order...all within a days reach or so:

1: Yellowstone National Park---although it really does need to burn to get rid of all the dead and down timber from the fires of 98.

2: EBR 1 the worlds first nuclear reactor--a nice drive too. EBR-1 (http://www.inl.gov/ebr/)

3: Day trip to Henry's Fork an Island Park area

4: Eat one night at the Snake River Brewery (http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/)

5: Have a beer at the Million Dollar Cowboy Club (http://www.milliondollarcowboybar.com/index.htm)

6: If you are into fly fishing, you have to fish either at Henry's Fork or in the Swan Valley area on the Snake River

7: As for accommodations, I got to stay in the Wyoming Inn (http://www.wyominginn.com/) one night when the town was full, but the government moved us to the Best Western, which is OK.

8: Day trip to Lava Hot Springs (http://www.lavahotsprings.com/)

9: Day trip to Cheyenne

Last but not least, check in with me and come visit a fire helibase.... Caribou Targhee National Forest (http://www.fs.usda.gov/ctnf/)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/Pocatello%2010/IMG_20101018_114327.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/Pocatello%2010/IMG_20101018_104933.jpg

BenThere
8th Apr 2014, 21:27
Gordy,

Tip of the hat to you, sir. Thanks for fighting the fires.

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 22:08
Love to go there it's where a lot of the Outlaws lurked.:)

BenThere
8th Apr 2014, 22:22
Make the trip, then, Tony. You know you have free places to stay here, provided by us fellow Ppruners.

Announce your trip and you'll be surprised by the offers you'll receive. You just get to JFK and we'll take it from there.

Matari
8th Apr 2014, 22:27
Draper would feel right at home. Hell the Wyomingites would like him so much they'd probably give him a ranch just to stay. They're all probably kin to outlaw Geordies from the 1800's anyway.

racedo
8th Apr 2014, 22:28

The name was shortened wasn't it or was it just called something else in slang ?

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Apr 2014, 22:28

Top tip, skip Deadwood, found very little to like there.......

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 22:41
Well it got civilized didn't it,that's what buggad up my town as well.:(

TBirdFrank
8th Apr 2014, 22:57
Ten years since I visited Jackson Hole - rode from Salt Lake City to Green River behind UP3985 then drove via Jackson Hole and a few days with the AACA - by accident - to the Grand Tetons and Jellystone - then through Montana and Glacier to Cranbrook and Banff - then Highway One to 'Couver and Seattle

Fun days - and do visit the Old Faithful Lodge - the one time Northern Pacific Railway Hotel - with Old Faithful in its back yard!

crispey
9th Apr 2014, 17:53
Thanks con-pilot.I guessed it would be just as you say from looking at the plates.My only self piloting experience in the US was in a PA 28 in San Diego and that was pretty hairy with extreme turbulence from the mix of cold and hot air in summer.

I'd love to go back to Wyoming again.Did 15/20 trips to the western side of USA and loved every minute.All the recomendations in here are spot on.Thank you Freddie Laker for getting me started.

Davaar
9th Apr 2014, 20:42
[QUOTE]Anyone been there[QUOTE]

The firm had a Christmas sojourn there a few years back. The ladies met a lovely chap, mannerly, hospitable, essence of the Boy Scout Rule.

Name of Clint Eastwood.

BenThere
9th Apr 2014, 20:49
Harrison Ford was on the local Jackson Hole volunteer fire protection force, I've been told. Also Dick Cheney lives there, fly-fishing and hunting.

Gordy
9th Apr 2014, 21:05
Harrison Ford was on the local Jackson Hole volunteer fire protection force, I've been told. Also Dick Cheney lives there, fly-fishing and hunting.

Yep Harrison volunteers his helicopter when needed, however there is a rescue helicopter based at Teton NP with the Park Service.

And Dick Cheney does indeed have a house there...it was fun fighting fire in the area as the President and Vice President have Temporary Flight Restrictions, (TFR), over them 24/7. When Dick would float the river while fly fishing, his TFR moved along the river with him....we had a direct line to the secret service to allow the fire fighting aircraft into his TFR.

Clint Eastwood also has a helicopter, and has a "ranch" in Northern California. Just like Harrison he always loves to sit and chat about aviation....

con-pilot
9th Apr 2014, 21:05
Also Dick Cheney lives there, fly-fishing and hunting

While the mere mention of Dick Cheney's name draws the normal and typical spewing of hate, insults and bile from the usual suspects, in the city square, guarded by the gates made of antlers, there is a war memorial with the names engraved on it of the locals that have died in defense of the United States, going back to World War I.

When I took the time to read some of the names, I was very surprised to see how many members of the Cheney family that were engraved on that memorial, up to and including the Viet Nam War. That family sacrificed a lot.

It is worth checking out RG. Between beers. :ok:

Gordy
9th Apr 2014, 21:09
One more thing...

rgbrock1 we expect to see you on the webcam......let us know a date and time and someone can take a screenshot....

Jackson Hole Webcam (http://www.jacksonholenet.com/webcams/town_square.php)

500N
9th Apr 2014, 21:11
And Dick Cheney does indeed have a house there...it was fun fighting fire in the area as the President and Vice President have Temporary Flight Restrictions, (TFR), over them 24/7. When Dick would float the river while fly fishing, his TFR moved along the river with him....we had a direct line to the secret service to allow the fire fighting aircraft into his TFR.

Is that to protect Dick Cheney or to protect you from Dick Cheney ???? :O

Dushan
9th Apr 2014, 21:24
Members of RWS during a tag team trolling planning session at The Million Dollar Bar

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/imagejpg1_zpsd19db7cc.jpg

And here is the monument con-pilot mentioned

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/Jackson%20Hole%202013/IMG_00000020_zps60a7052e.jpg[/URL]

fitliker
9th Apr 2014, 23:10
Oh it's a NOUN, I thought at first it was a verb from Broke Back mountain.
Or something done after twelve special brews or Nuki brown consumptions in North Shields :)

tdracer
9th Apr 2014, 23:39
Definitely second (or third, whatever) the recommendation to visit Yellowstone. It takes several days to do the park justice. Old Faithful Inn is a must see (if they still do the tour I highly recommend it), as are the Yellowstone waterfalls. A college buddy of mine supervised the restoration of the Old Faithful in back in the 1980's - I stayed with him for a few days while he was working on it, unforgettable trip. :ok:

If you want to stay at one of the inns in Yellowstone (nothing fancy, but dripping with history), you'd better get reservations ASAP - they book months in advance and it may already be too late for this year.:(

brickhistory
10th Apr 2014, 01:58
Members of RWS during a tag team trolling planning session at The Million
Dollar Bar

Who's the fat, bald b*stard on the right? Someone scramble photoshop stat...

But I can reliably report that there was at least one .45 in that group in that picture.

Wyoming is open carry as well.

Gotta love it.

For some reason, driving through the state to make this RV, my Mrs and I took a liking to a little town called Dubois, about an hour-ish east of Jackson. Much smaller, much less touristy.

racedo
10th Apr 2014, 10:18
But I can reliably report that there was at least one .45 in that group in that picture.

Is that a Smith and Wesson or are you just pleased to see me..............
or
Was it, My... what a big gun you have :E

BenThere
10th Apr 2014, 16:51
You're just jealous. Admit it.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 16:54
Is that a Smith and Wesson or are you just pleased to see me..............

It's a Smith and Wesson.

If he was pleased to see you, he wouldn't be carrying it ;) :O

brickhistory
10th Apr 2014, 16:59
Meanwhile, back to Jackson Hole...

Couple of very nice boot/Western wear suppliers.

They're proud of their products as reflected in the prices, but the quality of the merchandise is good.

Let loose your urban cowboy upon your return to the East Coast.

Imagine the effect of "ching...ching...as you stroll down the hall on your way to a meeting..."

BenThere
10th Apr 2014, 17:04
I thought Dushan got a very good deal on a pair of lifetime crocodile Lucchese Classics. I don't know of a better price on them anywhere, and he bought 'em in Jackson Hole.http://www.leatherstoboot.com/mens-boots/lucchese-classics-boots-for-men/caiman-crocodile-boots/lucchese-classics-mens-chocolate-caiman-crocodile-belly-boots-l1393-p-27261.html?utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Shopping%2BEngine%2BFeeds

This is pretty close to what he walked away with, at about half the price:

http://www.leatherstoboot.com/mens-boots/lucchese-classics-boots-for-men/caiman-crocodile-boots/lucchese-classics-mens-chocolate-caiman-crocodile-belly-boots-l1393-p-27261.html?utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Shopping%2BEngine%2BFeeds

racedo
10th Apr 2014, 17:09
You're just jealous. Admit it.

SWMBO dislikes gun but when I reminded her that if someone broke in and attempted anything a single aimed shot was very effective she clearly saw the benefits. She still opposed but can see merits in it.

Sadly in Uk you are required to jump through hoops to have a gun. Unless you are a criminal of course.

racedo
10th Apr 2014, 17:11
It's a Smith and Wesson.

If he was pleased to see you, he wouldn't be carrying it ;) :O

Nope he pleased to see me, he still carrying.
If he was not then he using.