PDA

View Full Version : Don't use vinegar

TWT
8th Apr 2014, 01:13
Vinegar makes box jellyfish stings worse, Australian researchers say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/vinegar-makes-box-jellyfish-stings-worse-aust-researchers/5374274)

I don't plan on getting anywhere near a box jellyfish :ooh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Apr 2014, 01:19
Vinegar has been the standard treatment. As a scuba instructor I was taught to use it, and always carried it (though never had to use it).

Capetonian
8th Apr 2014, 01:26
Apparently peeing on it is also a good relief.

Worrals in the wilds
8th Apr 2014, 03:24
Best treatment; don't get stung in the first place. :}

Unless a person is unlucky enough to cop one in the face, fall off a boat or similar there is no excuse for getting stung by a box jellyfish. They're hardly a state secret. Stinger suits look a bit dorky but they're a lot less dorky than getting stung. They also keep the sun off.

Buster Hyman
8th Apr 2014, 04:08
I prefer to drink vinegar to be honest...

Track5milefinal
8th Apr 2014, 04:20
http://dansvillefitnessclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ipeeing_on_jellyfish_sting_01.jpg

:ok::ok::}

onetrack
8th Apr 2014, 05:43
Box jellyfish stings (Irukandji) are so potent, they also seriously damage the bodys nervous system, and leave numerous people that have been stung, with lingering heart muscle problems. It's said the pain from a BJ sting is unbelievable.

The worst part is the box jellyfish is spreading from its usual habitat in Northern waters to waters further South, and increasing numbers of BJ stings are being recorded on the North-West Coast.

There were 88 recorded cases of BJ stings at Broome between Jan 2001 and July 2003. Broome is currently the worst region for Irukandji stings, and there's major differences in sting conditions and sting results between Nth Qld and the North of W.A.
This is because there's a likelihood of different varieties involved. However, the additional varieties are unknown, research is ongoing, and information on Irukandji spread, and conditions that encourage them is quite limited.

Magnesium Sulphate injected as an intravenous solution appears to offer substantial and immediate pain relief, but its mechanism of action on the pain or the venom is not yet properly understood. Magnesium Sulphate inhibits the release of acetylcholine in the neuromuscular junction and behaves like a neuromuscular relaxant.
I've personally used MgSO2 tablets for painful calf muscle cramps, and it's moderately effective, if used in this manner.

Bottom line is, if you're badly stung, get to hospital quickly.

Some interesting medical study here on BJ stings around Broome -

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2004/181/11/irukandji-syndrome-northern-western-australia-emerging-health-problem

Takan Inchovit
8th Apr 2014, 05:53
I'd be taking the 'new' research result with a grain of salt. Ben Cropp did an experiment some years ago, by trimming some tentacles from a BJ and dropping them on his arm.

Metho was tried and it made the stinging worse, then vinegar was used and he reported the stinging stopped (not the pain mind you).

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 06:22
Surely the best advice would be stay out of the bloody sea.:uhoh:

500N
8th Apr 2014, 06:25
Exactly and most people do.

mattpilot
8th Apr 2014, 06:37
Surely the best advice would be stay out of the bloody sea.

... as if all those shark video's have taught us nothing.

Takan Inchovit
8th Apr 2014, 06:43
We're into pain ...

A more recent example of Ben's pain management, about halfway into the vid.

World's Deadliest Creature - Video Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xltl4w_world-s-deadliest-creature_shortfilms)

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Apr 2014, 06:46
Surely the best advice would be stay out of the bloody sea.

Errmmm, that's where the scran is, yer Admiralship. Of course, one should always bear in mind that entering the water also means entering the local food chain as a tasty snack for some passing toothy critter, unless you see said critter first and have him for lunch.:E

wings folded
8th Apr 2014, 06:54
If a BJ stings, she's doing it wrong.

500N
8th Apr 2014, 06:58
Up north Aus is a good example.

Stingers, Sharks and Crocs. One of them will get you ;)

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 07:03
Wouldn't be so bad if all the lethal critters that hold sway down there were all combined in just one,ie the blue ringed tentacled spitting funnel web venomous stinging bitey shark,one could avoid em.:uhoh:

500N
8th Apr 2014, 07:08
Well Tony, if 30 years of traveling around Aus, swimming in seas, walking the bush, a bull ant bite, multiple paper wasp stings and
a wasp bite this year are probably the worst I have incurred.

And I've only ever had to shoot two snakes, one we ran over, one I didn't see and struck at me but luckily it was a bit far away - and wasn't that lethal anyway.

Come close to being crocodile dinner once or twice !!! :O

So it's not that dangerous here !

Takan Inchovit
8th Apr 2014, 07:10
Wouldn't be so bad if all the lethal critters that hold sway down there were all combined in just one,ie the blue ringed tentacled spitting funnel web venomous stinging bitey shark,one could avoid em.

We've had one like that here, but she was ousted by Rudd last year.

UniFoxOs
8th Apr 2014, 07:15
And I married one.

Capetonian
8th Apr 2014, 07:23
It's said the pain from a BJ sting is unbelievable.Reminds me of a girl I once knew, not for nothing was she known in our 'circle' as Piranha.

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 07:24
Got lost in the bush once while shooting Roo outside Port Pirie,trouble was the actual ground didn't look anything like the map the guide drew in the dust for us.
Had I known then what I know now I wudda stayed aboard ship and locked me cabin door.
Anyway the guide eventually found us in the night,mainly due to the huge fire we built,said fire caused the chap some alarm and he ran round frantically stamping it out.
Serves him right for having such poor drawing maps in the dust skills,he would never have got a job as a scout for the US 7th Cavalry.
:uhoh:

Worrals in the wilds
8th Apr 2014, 07:35
Stingers, Sharks and Crocs. One of them will get you ;)So far so good. :cool:
IME you're more likely to get mown down by some drunken boofhead in a tinnie who thinks that 1. He's the pirate king and 2. an alpha flag is just a jaunty decoration. :ugh:
http://www.seapro.se/bild.php?constrain=1&w=40&h=35&img=bilder/artiklar/liten/101_S.jpg
In the words of my favourite, grizzled dive boat captain (while pointing at it and shouting at a boofhead who hooned through a group of surfaced scuba divers); 'It means Divers, d:mad:ckhead!' The rant continued via marine radio and was best described as salty.
I still think of it as the DD flag. :}
Diver down flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diver_down_flag)

500N
8th Apr 2014, 07:39
Worrals

I agree, DD name is a good one.

We get them down here in Melbourne as well :rolleyes:

Worrals in the wilds
8th Apr 2014, 07:55
I'm told that quietly tying their line to a rock then giving it a good tug is always good fun, but it requires steady hands and good gloves :suspect:. Purely reserved for people fishing in no-fishing marine preservation zones or the aforementioned hoons might I add (lest I be flamed by keen fishermen). :E

onetrack
8th Apr 2014, 08:14
O.K. ... Let me see ... in Australia ...

Since 1971, there have been 27 deaths due to saltwater crocodiles - a rate of 0.6 deaths annually ..

The death rate from poisonous snakebite in Australia is estimated at 3.2 deaths annually ..

Since 1884, there have been 63 known fatalities from box jellyfish - a rate of 0.6 deaths annually ..

In the last 50 years, there have been 58 deaths in Australia due to shark attack, a rate of 1.2 deaths annually ..
(long term, the figure for shark deaths in Australia, since 1791, is 220 deaths over 223 yrs, for a figure of 0.98 deaths annually)

America's intentional homicide rate per 100,000 people (2011 figures) - 4.7 = 15,000 deaths annually ..
Australia's intentional homicide rate per 100,000 people (2011 figures) - 1.2 = 264 deaths annually ..

Therefore .. taking into account the population differences (312M vs 22M) .. an Australian visiting the U.S., is 184 times more likely to be murdered .. than an American visiting Australia, is likely to die from snakebite, jellyfish sting, crocodile attack, or shark attack.

Now I know why I prefer to live in this nice safe place, called Australia ... :) :ok:

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 08:19
Not many killed by Badgers Squirrels or Rabbits in the UK either,:rolleyes:

M.Mouse
8th Apr 2014, 08:31
Very good Mr D, very good!

500N
8th Apr 2014, 08:38
One Track

Your are comparing "intentional homicide rate" with unintentional deaths by animal ;) :O

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 08:40
However we do have one venomous serpent,the Adder, never ever seen one though,think they live down South,best place for them,live among their own as it were.
:rolleyes:

500N
8th Apr 2014, 08:43
What about Cheryl Blair ?????

Deadlier than any snake :O

Worrals in the wilds
8th Apr 2014, 08:48
And 1193 people were killed on Australian roads in 2013, from a population of 22 million. No doubt the UK and US record similar statistics. :(
National road toll for 2013 down on previous year, but cycling fatalities doubled - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-01/national-road-tolls-2013/5181358)

Being eaten/stung/ bitten to death is very newsworthy; far more so than being squashed by a car. Same with being murdered, particularly if you're in the minority who don't know their killer and weren't married (or formerly married) to them. Either way your premature death will probably make national headlines (in Australia anyway) but without any of the hysteria that follows random killings and people getting eaten by animals.
PM - Australian homicide rates at historic lows 20/02/2013 (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2013/s3694783.htm)

Car crash victims don't always make the local news, let alone national. Get eaten by an animal or murdered by a stranger and the whole world hears about it. :hmm: I guess it's more 'newsworthy', ie entertaining. :yuk: It doesn't happen so often. We all drive cars (as do our family and friends), so maybe we simly don't want to hear the harsh truth; they kill more people than sociapathic killers, gangland wars, sharks and crocs combined.

Don't forget Australian workplace deaths either; about fifty a year in recent times, the bulk occuring within the transport industry. :sad: They aren't usually big news either.
Worker fatalities - Safe Work Australia (http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa/statistics/work-related-fatalities/pages/worker-fatalities)

500N
8th Apr 2014, 08:53
Worrals

Most people don't give two hoots about the road toll, to most it is now about revenue raising and using decreasing the road toll as an excuse.

One Track
You left out those killed by Water Buffalo :O

goudie
8th Apr 2014, 08:54
Vicious pit bull terriers and their ilk have accounted for a few deaths in the UK. Unfortunately they are usually owed by complete idiots.

What about Cheryl Blair ?????
And her slime ball husband

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Apr 2014, 08:58
You left out those killed by Water Buffalo

How do they do that?:confused: Fall asleep and keel over on you as you walk by?

500N
8th Apr 2014, 09:04
Generally, stick a horn through you and / or head butt you and then trample all over you.

I think the last one who died was walking back from the pub and the Bull came roaring out of the bush and hit him :rolleyes:
Was probably so pissed he didn't know what was going on !!!

They get pretty agro when they want !

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Apr 2014, 09:07
One was taking the piss, Mr Nitro.:}

The buggers out here will stalk you and do something similar. Nasty creatures but they're one of the major food sources for predators (very tasty) so their paranoia is understandable.

onetrack
8th Apr 2014, 09:08
500NYour are comparing "intentional homicide rate" with unintentional deaths by animalI dunno .. the last time I went to pick up a "harmless" old carpet snake - he was very intent on taking a piece out of me!! Vicious bugger!! :suspect:

Water Buffalo deaths?? - In Australia?? Didn't even know anyone had ever been killed by one.
Now, if you're talking Cape Buffalo, we're talking a different country and different animal altogether.

500N
8th Apr 2014, 09:13
They Abo lady I stay with at Xmas is a jet at getting snakes to eat.
I think they are carpet snakes and Water Pythons.

SRT
Yes, I know.

Hydromet
8th Apr 2014, 09:26
I think the last one who died was walking back from the pub and the Bull came roaring out of the bush and hit him That's where he went wrong. Everyone knows you shouldn't get within a bull's roar of them.:\

TWT
8th Apr 2014, 09:40
I think that being attacked and eaten alive by a grizzly/black/brown bear in the US or Canada or a large cat in Africa while camping would be worse than being attacked by an aquatic creature.You'd be able to breathe for quite a bit longer....

Fliegenmong
8th Apr 2014, 09:41
I never knew that about water buffalo, thought they just sat out there chewing grass looking dumb......

Funny thing about a Box Jelly fish.....they can sting you on any part of the anatomy! :uhoh:

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 09:46
Some perils do exist in the UK, I remember me Dad once stood on a weaver fish and had to hobble to the first aid tent at Whitley Bay,not up there with being gnawed upon by a great white I admit.
:uhoh:

MagnusP
8th Apr 2014, 09:53
Some perils do exist in the UK

Midsummer midges on the West Highland Way. Vicious little sods.

Groundgripper
8th Apr 2014, 10:42
And 1193 people were killed on Australian roads in 2013, from a population of 22 million. No doubt the UK and US record similar statistics.

UK Annual road deaths in 2012 were 1754 for a population of 63,700,000.

GG

wings folded
8th Apr 2014, 11:20
Not many, but it has happened. A dear old lady died from smoke inhalation when her attic began to smoulder after a squirrel chewed through the insulation of the cables up there.

It was, of course, not a proper british squirrel, but one of them nasty imported grey fellows

cockney steve
8th Apr 2014, 12:02
UK Annual road deaths in 2012 were 1754 for a population of 63,700,000.

Nearly reached the "5 a day" that the government keeps banging on about, then?:}

wings folded
8th Apr 2014, 12:19
In 1972 there were 16,770 road deaths in France.

The authorities got all the inhabitants of a town called Mazamet in the Tarn departement to lie down in the streets to illustrate the carnage.

Mazamet had a population of 16,770 at the time.

It was quite graphic.

India Four Two
8th Apr 2014, 12:49
Wouldn't be so bad if all the lethal critters that hold sway down there were all combined in just one,ie the blue ringed tentacled spitting funnel web venomous stinging bitey shark,one could avoid em.:uhoh:

Tony,

Good idea but with my luck, I would probably run into a Gympie stinging tree, while avoiding your mega-critter!

My worst experience in Oz was being stung by a Blue Bottle (Portuguese Man O' War). That was bad enough! I can't imagine the pain of a BJ (the marine kind ;)).

MagnusP
8th Apr 2014, 13:31
I can't imagine the pain of a BJ

Nobody's asked you for one, so behave.

I am told that several shots of Goldschlager takes away the taste. :ok:

lomapaseo
8th Apr 2014, 13:53
Could we avoid using the acronym BJ in this thread as it's throwing me off the intended subject and scaring the crap out of me

wings folded
8th Apr 2014, 14:08
Could we avoid using the acronym BJ

It's an initialism. An acronym can be pronounced as a word.

I am puzzled why anybody should want to use vinegar or any other substance against a BJ

Lonewolf_50
8th Apr 2014, 14:36
Got lost in the bush once :uhoh:
As did I, but she kindly helped me find my way. :cool:

I heard it on good authority from someone at the Sierra Club that :8 the extinction of the peanut butter fish is to blame for this over abundance of jelly fish.

MagnusP
8th Apr 2014, 14:47
Can the tin foil fish be far behind? :uhoh:

Flypro
8th Apr 2014, 15:37
I've heard of canned Tuna, Sardine and Salmon, but Tinfoil fish?????:confused:

racedo
8th Apr 2014, 15:54
It's said the pain from a BJ sting is unbelievable.

Just call it Jellyfish as what you posted leaves me in a completely different place.

racedo
8th Apr 2014, 15:55

You not seen Fatal Attraction then ?

racedo
8th Apr 2014, 15:58

Dunno but if plugged in and there is a power surge, a Rabbit may kill, but least someone will die with smile on face.

johngreen
8th Apr 2014, 17:40
Dunno but if plugged in and there is a power surge, a Rabbit may kill, but least someone will die with smile on face. Would that be a case of coming and going at the same time then??

Lonewolf_50
8th Apr 2014, 20:15
For once, "Oh my God, I'm coming" would be a true declaration.

B Fraser
8th Apr 2014, 20:34
"However we do have one venomous serpent,the Adder, never ever seen one though,think they live down South,best place for them,live among their own as it were."

There ought to be an international Draper day to celebrate quips like that. I salute you sir and not for the first time.