PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Songs you shouldn't play when driving alone.

Falcon Al
7th Apr 2014, 06:21
Driving home today; put on a Dixie Chick album which I had bought in a remote area just yesterday because there were no radio stations within cooee.

1st track was Wide Open Spaces. Within 30 seconds my eyes were starting to water and after a minute I should not have been driving. It reminded me so much of my youngest daughter, how she left home, how she would stubbornly make mistakes trying to take control of her life and how life seemed to pick on her … finally the song finished . Why I did not just stop the song and go to the next track? Soon answered that question when the second track started of course ….

2nd song was You Were Mine. As above and now a bit sensitized I became a blithering mess again. Again the song reminded me so much of my daughters’ pain after going through a relationship break-up 2 short years ago and has still not fully recovered.

I did not understand WTF was going on.

After arriving home I took the time to have a look at the CD cover, my ‘ baby girl’ is almost the spitting image of the smallest Dixie chick, the one who was singing. My eyes are red and the nose is sniffly.

Perhaps it was just a hard day. Anyone else have special songs?

gunbus
7th Apr 2014, 08:05
I know the feeling, age related reflections I think.

Waking Ned Devine - Hear Me (Shaun Davey) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rPeDI2J65bY)

Chris Rea ... Seabird - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ejLKrZqFpbg)

Sallyann1234
7th Apr 2014, 09:25
This is a good company, turned up loud on a fast drive:

Berlin - Take My Breathe Away theme from Top Gun with Lyrics - YouTube

david1300
7th Apr 2014, 09:30
I think it's a wonderful blessing to be human enough to be touched/moved like this. Sometimes I feel a little 'too blessed' but I guess that true for many of us who have lived a while.

Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard. Oh take me back to the start.

OFSO
7th Apr 2014, 12:04
I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll distracted me so much that I had to pull over, park and sing along with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1CXbf2xF8

Mudman
7th Apr 2014, 14:54
William Tell Overture and Ride of the Valkyries are two musical pieces one shouldn't drive to, period. One tends to "gallop" and "slalom" a touch.

lomapaseo
7th Apr 2014, 15:40
Sallyann1234

This is a good company, turned up loud on a fast drive:

I had never seen that clip before.

Now I've got the hots for Tom Cruise

Is that bad ? :suspect:

Capot
7th Apr 2014, 16:10
A propos of absolutely nothing, thread drift alert, the one-time Sunday Express columnist John Junor would occasionally debunk what he regarded as pretentious nonsense with his favourite catch phrase;

"Pass the sick-bag, Alice".

Sorry; back to the thread.......I often wonder if I am a little too blessed, but then I decide that I'm not, I really deserve to be as blessed as I am. I say to myself, "My strength is the strength of 10 men, because my heart is pure" and soldier on regardless of other peoples' envy for my blessed state. I find "Onward Christian Soldiers" very uplifting in the car, especially mixed with numbers from Swinging Safari, which reminds me of many evenings spent drinking cheap wine and fumbling in the dark, all those years ago.

Union Jack
7th Apr 2014, 16:14
A propos of absolutely nothing, thread drift alert, the one-time Sunday Express columnist John Junor would occasionally debunk what he regarded as pretentious nonsense with his favourite catch phrase ....

.... but I like to think that he would have been amused by the OP's moniker.:cool:

Jack

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 17:37
I'm one of those humans that does not need music blasting in me ears to function,first thing I do upon entering a vehicle is turn off the bloody radio.
:=

racedo
7th Apr 2014, 19:54
I'm one of those humans that does not need music blasting in me ears to function,first thing I do upon entering a vehicle is turn off the bloody radio.
:=

Old Git....:E

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 19:58
Indubitably :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ShyTorque
7th Apr 2014, 20:03
I'll bet you don't get many lifts........

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 20:52
On one of the last construction sites I did some work on my heart soared with joy when I read upon the sign at the entrance to the site,'This Is A Hard Hat Site, Hard Hats Must Be Worn At All Times' and beneath that it in even larger letters
'NO GETTO BLASTERS OR PERSONAL RADIOS OF ANY KIND ALLOWED ON THIS SITE'
I wondered how the painters and decorators got on, they must have just wandered about the site looking bewildered albeit wearing hard hats,because after a lifetime of working in such places I knew for a fact Painters and Decorators cannot dip a brush into a paint pot without a Getto Blaster operating at full power within two feet of where they are working.
:suspect:

Flash2001
7th Apr 2014, 21:07
Don't, whatever you do, play Duelling Banjos while driving. If you start the music at 30 mph you'll be doing over 100 by the time you get to the banjo breaks!

After an excellent landing etc...

fitliker
7th Apr 2014, 23:34
Hence the expression;
She had a face like a painters radio :)

Construction sites used to be filled with radios, you could find the sparkies by the heavy metal noise, the plumbers by the radio one noise, The finishing carpenters by the radio four blether . Follow the empty cans of special brew to find the guys with shovels to dig you a hole.
Eh when I were a lad we knew how to find the workers. Slightest bit of rain they would all be in tea hut cowering from the rain like they were made of sugar.

Falcon Al
8th Apr 2014, 10:11
Ghetto blaster? Something out of the late seventies early eighties? I thought I was old. :hmm:

They learnt way back that videos could sell music, but nothing can beat the video of ones own mind. You dont need a screen, just your thoughts, memories and experiences.

MagnusP
8th Apr 2014, 13:37
Flash2001, also the Hellecasters' version of Orange Blossom Special. You can hit 130 on the M6 toll road. Allegedly, of course. :O

cattletruck
8th Apr 2014, 13:51
I tend to wander around all over the road whenever Swan Lake is played... haven't ended up in someone's pond just yet.

papershuffler
8th Apr 2014, 14:10
My sister and I were painting around her pool one evening last summer (some weird rubberised stuff).

First long side, no music, took ages.

Bored, we put on a 90s dance/club mix. Something like this:
Megamix 90's - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_3EVzixU4OU)

The remaining three sides took about the same time as the non-music side, and looked about the same the next day. More or less. Ish. :hmm:

So yeah, I can understand why painters listen to music.:O

I'm not sure the neighbours were as happy though.

tony draper
8th Apr 2014, 14:22
Same when you see what looks like a good youtube link,'Ah a proper airyplane a Phantom' you say, you click on same only to have your ears blasted wi some mindess shite rock n roll track wi distorted guitar hacking away on one power chord and digital drums thumping away.
If they want to upload a music track why dont they? other clips do no need feckin music so leave it off!!!
Awoogah! Awoogah! third level grumpy old fart alarm!!:rolleyes:

Flash2001
8th Apr 2014, 14:32
Or maybe even when stopped in traffic. I had NPR on the radio while stopped at a traffic light in Houston. A old Caddie drove up beside me with Rap just a blastin' , noticed that the pipes were playing Scots Wa Hae on NPR and maxed the volume out. If looks could kill!

After an excellent landing etc...

MX Trainer
9th Apr 2014, 15:25
This one is banned by the wife!!! Something to do with her and I on a 140 mph ride down a 2 lane back highway!!

So - I just plays it when I am by myself now!!!!

NASCAR Crashes This Ain't No Sunday Drive - YouTube

Beware - Addictive!!!

Mx

Octopussy2
9th Apr 2014, 16:00
"Rock Lobster" by the B52s has the same "go faster" effect on me.

Magnus it's my belief that the whole deal with the M6 toll road is a tacit agreement between the motorist and the powers that be that you pay in return for not being done for speeding, and thus by travelling at 130 mph you were merely using it for its designed purpose... that's what I do, anyway :E

Ripline
9th Apr 2014, 16:24
During the early 90's, after a couple of completely uneccessarily hairy solo (ie unModerated) cross-country drives at night in the XJS, I rtb'd and thoughtfully removed the Top Gun soundtrack CD from the multiplayer and resolved never to have it in a moving car again.....

During Highway to the Dagerzone there is absolutely NO difference between an XJS and an F-14 when the adrenaline starts a-flowing. :E:eek:

Ripline

lomapaseo
9th Apr 2014, 16:32
in memory of Cac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojuPQXMm44

Tankertrashnav
9th Apr 2014, 22:00
Now I've got the hots for Tom Cruise

Is that bad ? :suspect:

YES!

Very bad!

Very, very bad :=