PDA

View Full Version : FLIGHT ENGINEER JOBS

Captain Beakman
15th Sep 2001, 04:00
Everyone, I'm not a flight engineer, but recently it's come to my attention that there is not much around for these guys, and we should all pitch together to help the few remaining guys serve out their time feeding their family successfully. Anyone with any tips on where Flight Engineers might find employment (L1011, 727, 747 etc.) what passports is needed, if visa sponsorship is available etc. please, add information in here and lets help our friends. Remember guys, the 3 man cockpit is still the safest!

scroggs
15th Sep 2001, 13:33
Beaky,
I don't think there's going to be much around for anyone, pilot or engineer, for a while. A lot of older aircraft will be furloughed over the next few months, and may well never return. I don't think the prospects for the FEs are good.

Captain Beakman
26th Sep 2001, 06:01
Bummer Scroggs - even more of a Bummer for out FE buddies who want to feed their kids. My FE buddy even had his dog run away from home - maybe he couldn't afford the doggie treats anymore? Anyway, lets hang in there and see what we can find for our friends. Regards, Captain Beakman :(

InFinRetirement
26th Sep 2001, 11:43
A friend of mine who has been working in the US as a FE since the sale of BCal. Phoned me a couple of days ago to say that he has been laid off and there is very little liklehood of him being asked back, and that the same situation probably exists all over the US.

He has now decided to come home and retire. In his words "that's the end of FE's, unless you can get on Concorde".

Best wishes to all FE's.

basil fawlty
29th Sep 2001, 01:59
As a 33 y.o FE, I have had to think long and hard about the future. Even before the exceptional events of recent weeks, FE's had a maximum of five years career left.
I seriously considered training for a JAA CPL, (I have FAA CPL). However theres no way I'm investing £30k+ so I can get ripped off and treated like s**t at a "professional" flying school and then do a thousand hours on night mail/freight flights in some f*ck*d old turboprop in order to get enough experience to get back on to a jet!! Thanks but no thanks, there was a time but not anymore. Thankfully I still have a job right now, but when my employer calls it a day with a 3 crew machine then I'm off to run a pub!! Old aviation proverb- "Professional flying is like banging your head repeatedly against a brick wall...it feels good when you stop"!! Anyway best wishes to all you wannabee's out there, I achieved my ambition to be a FE, I hope you all achieve yours.

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: basil fawlty ]

freightdoggy dog
29th Sep 2001, 18:47
But think of the kudos Basil! All the girls in ops wanting to jump into bed with you?
If you run a pub it will be full of old f*rts
yaking on about the good old days on the Herald ;)

basil fawlty
2nd Oct 2001, 01:23
Freightdoggy, I like your style. glad to see that some people on this site still retain, and are capable of using a sense of humour!!
I plan to keep on flying if I can, I really hope that I can, but theres no way I'm going thru the JAA extortion racket. Running the kind of pub I have lined up is looking very tempting at the moment! Flying is an absorbing career, but I'm starting (after 12 years in the industry) to realise its not the be all and end all of life!