PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Flight 959 Diverts to Rockhampton

Rotor Work
6th Apr 2014, 22:42
From ABC News

More than 130 passengers had an unexpected stop-over in central Queensland overnight after their Jetstar flight was diverted to Rockhampton.
Jetstar flight 959 was travelling from Cairns to Sydney when passengers seated up front noticed a strong and pungent smell of fumes.
The captain of the Airbus A-320 relayed the situation to air traffic controllers and requested permission to land the plane at Rockhampton airport as a precaution.
Emergency Services were placed on standby but the plane touched down safely just after 9:00pm (AEST) on Sunday night.
Engineers worked through the night searching for the cause of the fumes.
Passengers were booked into local hotels while engineers worked through the night looking for the source of the fumes.
The airline says if the plane is cleared by engineers, passengers can resume their flight to Sydney on Monday morning.
They say if the plane is grounded for repairs, alternative arrangements will be made.
Rockhampton Councillor Neil Fisher says he understands Jetstar will be flying a replacement aircraft to Rockhampton so the passengers, including 50 Chinese tourists, can continue their flight.
Councillor Fisher says people who saw the plane land last night said the engine did not sound right.
"One of the plane spotters there had reported not only was the engine quite loud, but was running very roughly, quite differently to normally," he said.
"The airbus is probably one of the sweetest sounding of all of the passenger aircraft."

Capn Bloggs
6th Apr 2014, 22:49
Kemlin burnt the dinner again... :=

6th Apr 2014, 22:57
The captain of the Airbus A-320 relayed the situation to air traffic controllers and requested permission to land the plane at Rockhampton airport as a precaution.

Not according to "our ABC". The Captain was directed to land:mad:

Propstop
6th Apr 2014, 23:57
One of the plane spotters there had reported not only was the engine quite loud, but was running very roughly, quite differently to normally," he said.
"The airbus is probably one of the sweetest sounding of all of the passenger aircraft."

Oh dear, someone did not change the spark plugs again:ugh:

If journalists were even half smart they would not even write such crap; but it sells papers:yuk:

Wally Mk2
7th Apr 2014, 01:27
This 'story' has been out a little while now, you guys are slow on the uptake here:E
Rocky must have been moved recently, central Qld is now coastal?

Gotta luv the media at least they do supply us 'expert's here with some form of low level entertainment:)
Wonder how long this thread will last, Mods must be away on school holidays me thinks:E

Wmk2

Capn Bloggs
7th Apr 2014, 01:32
This 'story' has been out a little while now,
Eh? The deathstar (allegedly) only landed at Rocky at 2100 last night! :confused:

Wally Mk2
7th Apr 2014, 06:45
That's right 'bloggsy' a little while:) That's why I worded it that way so the time police wouldn't jump on me:-0)

Wmk2

Cactusjack
7th Apr 2014, 06:58
Another non event. Smell of smoke onboard, Drivers divert to closest available. Procedures followed, all punters safe, slight inconvenience to all.

Click, lock.

C441
7th Apr 2014, 07:09

Not when you live just short of the Brekky Creek on the approach to 01 in Brissy.
The A-320 has a quite distinct and louder note than the 737, 767 or 330.

(.....and no the aircraft noise doesn't bother me where I live, its just as described above)

Tee Emm
7th Apr 2014, 11:01
The A-320 has a quite distinct and louder note than the 737, 767 or 330. That is understandable. It is a Fly-By-Wire aircraft and every Tiger Moth pilot knows about the sound of the wind through the wires:D