PDA

View Full Version : The Royal trip to Australia and New Zealand

crewmeal
6th Apr 2014, 21:35
Interesting to note that William Kate and Prince George travelled with QF to SYD then on a NZ plane to Wellington. I wonder how they got on when switching planes in DXB?

The royal party touched down in Sydney just before 8.30pm BST London time on Sunday after flying there in First Class on a scheduled Qantas service via Dubai.

500N
6th Apr 2014, 23:46
If the uproar over a bay seat is anything to go by, the tour will go off with bang !

Ken Borough
6th Apr 2014, 23:53
I wonder how they got on when switching planes in DXB?

Why would these leeches change aircraft in Dubai? But who, after all, really care? Why would anyone care? These people have so many hangers-on that they wouldn't even know if they did change aircraft. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

John Hill
7th Apr 2014, 00:06
They have arrived in NZ to rain and fog so they should be feeling quite at home already.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 00:15
Ken

Typical post from you.

You can't blame them for who they were born to and both of the sons have made a bloody good fist of it in most people's opinions, even if you don't like the Royals / Royalty, a lot of people do.

Do you have a better alternative ????? And don't say a Republican President !

parabellum
7th Apr 2014, 00:18
What a sad person you are Ken and judging by the crowds that turn out to see 'The Royals' when they come down under, an awful lot of people care.

(Don't think they had a 'plane change, just a refuelling and crew change stop).

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Apr 2014, 00:33
Why would these leeches change aircraft in Dubai? But who, after all, really care? Why would anyone care? These people have so many hangers-on that they wouldn't even know if they did change aircraft. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Envy, it's a real bugger when you suffer from it, in fact it will simply eat you up........:rolleyes::rolleyes::=

Ken Borough
7th Apr 2014, 01:00
Geez! I've trodden on a few sensitive toes, eh? Who said anyone would be envious of this lot? Why be envious of this lot who live the life of goldfish and whose lives are determined for every waking hour?

As for being born into their existence, there is an option if they wish to implement it: one of their number did it in the late 1930s but the poor bugger was metaphorically crucified for having exercised his free will. How sad is that?

Most Australians couldn't give a flying f*** about royalty but get upset when they have to foot the bill for their visits. After all, we do have a 'budget emergency' that will see fiscal cuts all over the place. The Govt has even stopped a small annual payment to orphans of our war dead yet can find the millions to host a family of foreigners. Where is the logic?

Romeo Oscar Golf
7th Apr 2014, 02:20
Geez! I've trodden on a few sensitive toes,
eh

Wrong....just shown what a total pratt you are.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 02:25
Ken

I can't remember what country you are in but in relation to

"Most Australians couldn't give a flying f*** about royalty but get upset when they have to foot the bill for their visits."

I'll wager $50 that the crowds and enthusiasm of the crowds here in Aus will be large,
loud and very welcoming to the 3 of them.

Care to take on the bet ?

As opposed to if we had a two bit Republican President, who probably would be accorded cordial greetings when visiting overseas just because of the position !!!

500N
7th Apr 2014, 02:45
Ken

Interesting article just appeared in the SMH.

Why Australians will embrace royal visit :O

Why Australians will embrace Royal visit (http://www.smh.com.au/comment/why-australians-will-embrace-royal-visit-20140407-zqrrg.html)

Ken Borough
7th Apr 2014, 02:59
500n

I've not any intention of reading the article but I see that's it's been regurgitated from London's Torygraph! How objective would it therefore be?

ROG

Always bring on the ad hominem attack when the strength of one's argument is as weak as ditch-water!

500N
7th Apr 2014, 03:02
Well the bet still stands. I put the bet up before I saw the article.

I think you underestimate the Australians and the view they hold of the Royals.

Just remember, it's not just WASP's who like the Royals, you have the Maltese who still love England and the Royals and a few others as well.

$50, take it or leave it !

Ken Borough
7th Apr 2014, 03:24
500N

1. Why bring religion into this? The debate has nothing to do with WASPs

2. I'm not a gambler. Never have been, never will be! You'd better save the $50 for your next visit to the TAB or whatever it is that'll happily take your hard-earned. :ok:

crewmeal
7th Apr 2014, 05:29
As for being born into their existence, there is an option if they wish to implement it: one of their number did it in the late 1930s but the poor bugger was metaphorically crucified for having exercised his free will. How sad is that?

Yes Ken but he chose to visit the dark side with 'that woman' and lost the respect of everyone.

Ken Borough
7th Apr 2014, 05:35
Crewmeal,

To be fair, haven't a number of modern royals chosen to visit 'the dark side'? Why hasn't the current heir been required to forego his so-called birthright, or was it his right of birth to have a mistress while married? Hypocritical is the word that comes to mind. :confused:

500N
7th Apr 2014, 05:37
What has "having a bit on the side" got to do with being King ?

Plenty of previous Kings and Queens of England have done the same !

crewmeal
7th Apr 2014, 05:42
To be fair, haven't a number of modern royals chosen to visit 'the dark side

Ken I was referring to Edward VIII and 'that woman' cosying up to Hitler and his gang. I couldn't give a stuff on who is knocking off who :ugh:

Back on track I wonder if they had first class to themselves?

Ken Borough
7th Apr 2014, 05:46
500N

It had a lot to do with matters of State in the 1930s if I recall. If a 'bit on the side' is de rigeur, then why did Edward have to abdicate? Was it because he had a mistress or was it because he wanted to regularise the arrangement by marriage? Either way, the hypocrisy is still there as a result if the treatment of the current heir. I see that the CofE is considering the inclusion of the adulteress in their standard prayers. How hypocritical is that?

500N
7th Apr 2014, 05:49
Don't know and don't care. Not religious.

I thought it was because he couldn't marry a divorcee but would need to check.

Barksdale Boy
7th Apr 2014, 08:28
I don't think that most Australians and Brits regard each other as "foreigners". I certainly don't.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Apr 2014, 08:30
Geez! I've trodden on a few sensitive toes, eh? Who said anyone would be envious of this lot? Why be envious of this lot who live the life of goldfish and whose lives are determined for every waking hour?

Most Australians couldn't give a flying f*** about royalty but get upset when they have to foot the bill for their visits. After all, we do have a 'budget emergency' that will see fiscal cuts all over the place. The Govt has even stopped a small annual payment to orphans of our war dead yet can find the millions to host a family of foreigners. Where is the logic?

Each member of the Royal Family will proudly serve their country in one shape or another pretty much every single day of their lives.

What will your contribution be?

Tankertrashnav
7th Apr 2014, 08:31
Always bring on the ad hominem attack ...

Ken, having described the royal party as "these leeches" I don't think you are in any position to complain about ad hominem attacks.

It must be a very bitter experience for republicans to realise that at the same time that politicians of all hues are descending into new depths of unpopularity, the British royal family has never been more popular, due in no small part to the actions of Prince William and his brother. Some leeches!

bosnich71
7th Apr 2014, 09:56
500 .... " plenty of Kings and Queens of England have done the same".....
yes and so have various politicians,presidents etc. in Oz,America,France etc.etc. ad nausea but Ken has chosen to label the Royal lot as somehow different,which really is what Ken is......different,that is.

P.S. saw our new Governor General on the Telly this evening visiting Wandong. I was impressed as were those who heard him speak. F.F.S. I seem to be turning into a Royalist !

MagnusP
7th Apr 2014, 09:59
I've not any intention of reading the article

Often the sign of a closed mind, I think you'll find.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 10:56
bosnich

Yes, I saw the GG tonight as well, he was as I expected, warm, friendly, down to earth, engaging, forthright with his words.

He will be a popular GG just like he was a popular soldier and Australian of the Year.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 11:00
I look at what people like Ken wrote and think what sorry lives they must lead.

OK, not liking the Royals is one thing but the venom that comes out,
christ, just move on !

I think Seldom summed it up with this

Each member of the Royal Family will proudly serve their country in one shape or another pretty much every single day of their lives.
What will your contribution be?

:ok: :D

Keef
7th Apr 2014, 11:08
There are many bitter people in the world. Show them a little kindness: it may sweeten their lives a little.

EIIR and her family do their best. When I look at the machinations of various presidents around the world, I'm pretty satisfied with our system.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 11:14
They certainly do try to do their best.

And re "When I look at the machinations of various presidents around the world, I'm pretty satisfied with our system."

Yes, for what faults the Royals have, I'd take them over the various others
as you say.

As much as I am not a huge fan of Prince Charles, I like the fact that the two sons have decided to re write the book on certain things and try to lead as normal a life as possible outside the traditional pomp and ceremony. I reckon William and Harry must cause the Royal protection guards nightmares.

You just have to look at William doing things like Riding his motorbike through London in jeans and sneakers to a game of football with friends where he has a ball with everyone as "one of the boys" and then roars off back to his house. Or jumping in an old white van and driving incognito round Wales with Katherine
so they can enjoy time out without being noticed.

To me, those are normal things that normal people do.

Hobo
7th Apr 2014, 12:02
Regarding the Royals, it's surely better to have someone who has to do it rather than someone who wants to do it?

Tankertrashnav
7th Apr 2014, 15:24
Getting back to the current royal visit I was pleased to see on TV that the RNZAF are to the fore, at least on the first day. The royal guard of honour was formed by RNZAF personnel (male and female) and very smart they looked :ok:

TwinAisle
7th Apr 2014, 16:53
Regarding the Royals, it's surely better to have someone who has to do it rather than someone who wants to do it?

That has to be the sagest comment written on this forum for a long time. I can't remember who said something similar to me yonks ago - the gist of that was that anyone who wanted to be an MP should be automatically barred from so becoming....

Thank you for writing it, Hobo.

On the subject of Edward VIII, I think you'll find that he didn't just give it up because he wanted to be 'normal' - he would have given pretty much anything (except the Hitler loving girlfriend) to keep the job. Is it hypocrisy to allow Charles to marry a divorcee when Edward couldn't? Remains to be seen - Camilla has never seemed to care whether she becomes queen consort or not - Mrs S wanted it more than oxygen. That's a big difference.

TA

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 17:26
Dunno what Mrs S was doing for His Maj but he couldn't have married her for her looks, she had a face like bashed crab.
:uhoh:

rgbrock1
7th Apr 2014, 18:07
Tony D wrote:

Dunno what Mrs S was doing for His Maj but he couldn't have married her for her looks, she had a face like bashed crab.

Good blow jobs? :} Maybe she liked taking it up the... oh... never mind.

500N
7th Apr 2014, 18:51
Tanker

Agree, the guard of honour looked excellent as did all the service personnel, ADC's.

Pity about the weather though !

John Hill
9th Apr 2014, 04:09
Someone enjoyed her visit:--

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10170850_10151974837966302_3377452452264375908_n.jpg

John Hill
9th Apr 2014, 04:10
Pity about the weather though !

"You can't beat Wellington on a good day! But that was not a good day."

Tankertrashnav
9th Apr 2014, 09:02
In John Hill's picture, my eye was immediately drawn to the bloke on the right, who I see is wearing the New Zealand Queen's Service Order. I suspect they'll give one of these to Prince William at some stage on the visit, as his father got it on his 1983 trip. He's also wearing the Territorial Efficiency Decoration with the New Zealand clasp, and a third medal I cant identify.

Oh yes, just noticed, the bloke with his back to us has got a bare arse :=

bosnich71
9th Apr 2014, 09:55
The first thing I thought when I saw this picture was that you'd have to have a lot of trust in the bloke who did the tattoo ..... or be very good friends with him.

P.s. not the sort of tatt I'd be getting done down Oxford Street,Sydney.

500N
9th Apr 2014, 10:12
I think that third medal is the NZ Defence Service Medal.

ExSp33db1rd
9th Apr 2014, 10:59
.........thought it was because he couldn't marry a divorcee but would need to check.

Think you're riight, something to do with him also being head of the C of E, which didn't condone divorce, so there was going to be a Consitutional Crisis rather than an outright condemnation of the women herself. N'est ce pas ?

When I look at the machinations of various presidents around the world, I'm pretty satisfied with our system.

Absolutely - Mugabe and that North Korean fellah - Jung Ill or something - come to mind immedately, and of course there was Idi Amin.

Worrals in the wilds
9th Apr 2014, 11:18
Regarding the Royals, it's surely better to have someone who has to do it rather than someone who wants to do it? Bloody oath. :D:D
I didn't realise that G strings were traditional Maori attire. I noticed it after looking at the photo for several minutes...:cool::}

Is it hypocrisy to allow Charles to marry a divorcee when Edward couldn't?Tempus fugit, thank goodness. There was a time when being a Nazi supporter was better than being a divorcee :uhoh:. We may live in a crazy degenerate age but at least we've (largely) sorted out that moral issue. I'm not a huge Charles fan but he seems to have gotten a lot more normal with Camilla by his side. Maybe the Court :yuk: should have gotten out of the way and let him marry her in the first place, even if she was a :eek: Catholic.

Now Muslims have largely replaced Catholics in the public 'just not trustworthy, answerable to a foreign power' position, it seems a bit redundant. :bored: Maybe in the future little George will meet a nice British girl called Aalimah. Then there'll be a stir...:E again.

Tankertrashnav
9th Apr 2014, 11:43
Now Muslims have largely replaced Catholics in the public 'just not trustworthy, answerable to a foreign power' position ...

Maybe, but I still can't be king :(

Maybe in the future little George will meet a nice British girl called Aalimah.

Or how about a nice British boy of any religious persuasion, or none?
Then there really will be a stir!

Thanks for the info on the medal 500N - that's a new medal on me, I see it only came out in 2011.

Caboclo
9th Apr 2014, 12:29
We all saw the pic a while back of Chas ogling the topless island girl. Now Kate gets mooned. What's with this habit of the colonials' to flash the royals at every opportunity?

500N
9th Apr 2014, 12:45
'ExSp

"Think you're riight, something to do with him also being head of the C of E, which didn't condone divorce, so there was going to be a Consitutional Crisis rather than an outright condemnation of the women herself. N'est ce pas ?"

Agree, it was the conflict of CofE and divorcees - as opposed to the woman,
although from what I have read not many liked her.

"N'est ce pas ?""

I haven't heard that for many years ! :O

500N
9th Apr 2014, 12:47
"We all saw the pic a while back of Chas ogling the topless island girl. Now Kate gets mooned. What's with this habit of the colonials' to flash the royals at every opportunity?"

And don't forget the lady in a bikini who ran up and gave Charlie a kiss as he came out of the surf ;)

The reason for it all ?

We don't have the inhibitions like the Brits, especially stiff upper lip types
so doing things way out puts them on the spot !

MagnusP
9th Apr 2014, 13:46
The boobage display was on PNG, I seem to remember. The lass looked like she'll be quite pretty when she grows up.

Wills, of course, got a good eyeful of Kate early on at a fashion show. Very pretty, but a bit too slim for my liking.

500N
9th Apr 2014, 13:52
It's OK, she'll fill out a bit once she has had the 2nd or 3rd ;)

Caboclo
9th Apr 2014, 21:31
The British Empire's attempts to civilize the savages have obviously failed.

tony draper
9th Apr 2014, 22:01
'We don't have the inhibitions like the Brits, especially stiff upper lip types'
We do have Morris Dancing.:=

bosnich71
9th Apr 2014, 23:22
The only trouble with Morris Dancing is that it was originally a Union 'thing' so unsupportable to 50% of the population.Bit of a shame because,as a young lad, I really fancied the bells and handkerchiefs.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 05:02
Who was saying that the Royals are boring and past it ? I reckon the reaction will be the same in Aus when they get here.

Royals receive rockstar reception in Blenheim

The royal couple were greeted with a rockstar reception as the small town of Blenheim turned red, white, and blue to welcome the famous regal visitors today.

High-pitched shrieking and squeals of delight welcomed the smiling Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as they stepped into the crowds.

Up to 5000 people queued five-deep, waved Union Jacks and raised smartphones and tablets to get a glimpse of the famous pair.

There was a real sense of community, like an upbeat version of Anzac Day.
Some royal commentators remarked it was the biggest turnout for a royal visit by a provincial centre since Charles and Diana.

And the masses didn't go away disappointed.

Royals receive rockstar reception in Blenheim - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11235897)

Quizling
10th Apr 2014, 05:21
The British Empire's attempts to civilize the savages have obviously failed.

Come on, Caboclo. Wills and Kate are quite civilised, and if you look carefully, you will observe an incremental improvement, generation to generation (except for that Teddy twerp) under the influence of the Empire/Commonwealth.

A few more generations and they will be just like us.

OzBob
10th Apr 2014, 05:21
http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201415/plane_620x310.jpg

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201415/483668355_620x413.jpg

500N
10th Apr 2014, 05:24
What else would a pilot do ??? :O

I like the other photo, the one of hm in the cockpit and Kate looking
on with the Umbrella :ok:

acbus1
10th Apr 2014, 06:04
http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201415/plane_620x310.jpg

"I say Kates old thing, this looks totes like my chopper".

...not the sort of tatt I'd be getting done down Oxford Street,Sydney.
One slip and it'd be up a back alley.

500N
10th Apr 2014, 06:08
It would have been funny of Kate had got into the German Bi plane :O

RAC/OPS
10th Apr 2014, 07:00
"Wills dear it is totes your chopper - do your flies up"

Worrals in the wilds
10th Apr 2014, 07:29
"I say Kates old thing, this looks totes like my chopper".:D:D:D.......

Tankertrashnav
17th Apr 2014, 16:02
Well they are in Oz now - how's it going down?

500N
17th Apr 2014, 16:06
Very good indeed. Big Crowds, Kate is wowing them, Wills nearly gave everyone a heart attack when he went to the edge of the cliff and looked over without a safety harness !!! :O

Some photos and a bit of text here.

Royal tour 2014: Prince William, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Baby George tour Australia (http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/royal-tour-2014-prince-william-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-and-baby-george-tour-australia-20140417-36tbk.html)

Krystal n chips
17th Apr 2014, 16:56
" Wills nearly gave everyone a heart attack when he went to the edge of the cliff and looked over without a safety harness [/I]"

Now there's a missed opportunity if ever there was one....if [I]only the Beebs Royal Correspondent had done the same and walked in front of him to do his report, ....there may yet be hope however....is the tour scheduled to take in the N.T and some of the local wildlife at all ?.

500N
17th Apr 2014, 17:01
Krystal

Are you suggesting feeding a BBC Correspondent to the Crocodiles :O :ok:

Only a night spent at Ayres Rock. I don't think they are going north of there.

But hey, the dingoes have quite an appetite for babies at Ayres Rock ;)

Edit
An excellent series of photos in the Daily Mail.

Yes, I know it's the DM but they are the best set I've seen so far.

mixture
17th Apr 2014, 21:24
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlaB4GvCEAAYEiM.png:large

Andu
18th Apr 2014, 07:08
The current tour will be causing consternation among the B list "celebrities" (sorry, I couldn't come up with a name) who normally "grace" the pages of the Awstrawlyn wimmin's magazines like Woman's Daze, No Idea and (there's another one - I saw it recently in the doctor's surgery - and it makes No Idea look positively intellectual). Can they survive one week without being the object of adoration by their fans? I may be suffering from selective memory, and not that I read them very often, but as a child, I seem to remember that Woman's Day and New Idea were very different magazines to what they are today.

Worrals in the wilds
18th Apr 2014, 08:12
Yeah, they're pretty ordinary. The Women's Weekly is readable, but the rest of them are generally full of reality tv show 'stars', Neighbours cast members and the Corbys :bored:.
I'll bet that the royal tour has boosted their circulation considerably. Anyway, the royals seem to be wowing the crowds, and no doubt the news networks are glad to have something other than road accidents and church services to report on.

Are you suggesting feeding a BBC Correspondent to the Crocodiles :O :ok:Crocodiles don't eat junk food :}. Speaking of which, I think I just heard the Channel 9 sychophant report that 'Kate was just like her late mother, Diana.' :ugh::ugh: I really hope I misheard it.

bosnich71
18th Apr 2014, 08:19
Worrals .. Channel 9 "sychophant", ...not the one that Abbott had a go at ?

Worrals in the wilds
18th Apr 2014, 08:27
Nah, one of the locals. They spent ten minutes telling viewers what the royals will be doing in Brisbane, which will all be replicated when they actually arrive and do it.

I guess there's not a lot of news this time of year and there are only so many Police Breathalyser Blitz stories you can fit in the one bulletin (two so far :zzz:).

probes
18th Apr 2014, 08:57
yep, isn't it interesting that the royals used to be real posh, and now that many people try to be extravagant-outrageous-wannabe-posh, it's so good to see someone who seems to be just normal and sweet - the royal privilege these days? :E

Andu
18th Apr 2014, 09:22
When you cut to the very core of her popularity, she has close to the best set of pins of anyone in current public life. I'm ambivalent about the royals, in particular in regard to their place in Australia, but I could happily ogle those legs for some considerable time without complaint.

She also handles very well the (I think) not easy task of maintaining the inane smile and the small talk with a succession of people she seems to convince in those few brief moments she spends with them that she's interested in them and their situation. (No mean feat.) In short, she's proven herself to be an asset to 'the Firm' and is doing great work in cementing their tenuous position over their 'subjects', as much in the Commonwealth as in the UK, for another generation.

Exascot
18th Apr 2014, 10:37
Andu, well said apart from your comment about the smile:

Inane:
synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed;

Actually, I believe that it is very real.

alisoncc
20th Apr 2014, 23:47
She also handles very well the (I think) not easy task of maintaining the inane smile and the small talk with a succession of peopleWatched them at Taronga with the Bilbies, and Kate and Wills actually looked as if they were enjoying themselves, especially Kate. They didn't come across as being any different to any other first-time parents with their new addition. Liked the bit where George threw away the stuffed toy and put the "baby on board" card in his mouth for a chew.

500N
20th Apr 2014, 23:51
"Liked the bit where George threw away the stuffed toy and put the "baby on board" card in his mouth for a chew."

Agree, it was good to see he is just like any other kid !

I think they all enjoyed the informality of the zoo.

In fact, I think they enjoy the informal or less formal times than the more formal or at least where they can chat to people.

acbus1
21st Apr 2014, 06:20
Wills nearly gave everyone a heart attack when he went to the edge of the cliff and looked over without a safety harness !!!
I'll bet Harry was quite excited. :E

Oceanz
21st Apr 2014, 08:48
Who are these people? Frederick & Mary are the Oz royals

Tankertrashnav
21st Apr 2014, 09:27
I'll bet Harry was quite excited. :E

Not that excited. Don't forget since the arrival of young George, Harry has slipped one rung down the ladder.

Or did you envisage a "princes in The Tower" scenario?

B Fraser
21st Apr 2014, 09:56
OK folks, it's caption competition time

http://media.her.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/485570009.jpg

B Fraser
21st Apr 2014, 10:00
I'll open the batting with........

"Scroggs, have you checked the pins ?"

"I'm just doing it now sir"

alisoncc
21st Apr 2014, 10:08
"Don't think the new design flying suit will go down too well with the guys."

sea oxen
21st Apr 2014, 11:37
"Thanks for letting me have a sit - Wills won't let me near his chopper"

Andu
21st Apr 2014, 12:25
I'm sure more than one photographer got a knicker shot during that climb into the cockpit, although I daresay not many of us will get to see them - which is as it should be.

Not a lot of ladies that high up the social pecking order with legs that look that good all the way to where they get a bit cheeky. As I said in an earlier post, she's earning her keep with grace like very few others could hope to do for 'The Firm'.

500N
21st Apr 2014, 13:55
I've seen the sequence, I think she got away with it !

acbus1
21st Apr 2014, 14:26
Caption:

'Don't be concerned, Ma'am, its wa-a-a-ay too big to be a black widow'.

Effluent Man
22nd Apr 2014, 07:30
It's Witchell that I can't stand,the very worst sort of BBC toady.On the Wallis Simpson point it's quite common knowledge that this was a power based relationship and that both partners were complicit in it.No doubt the lady got a big kick from giving the government the run around too.

I do wonder if we are seeing an action replay with the current PoW.

airship
25th Apr 2014, 22:23
Well, I'm glad that's (the Royal trip) all over and done with. It was becoming extremely tedious having to watch the world media reports (even on French TV news).

It was very kind of the OZ PM to allow the Royals the use of the airplane for the return trip. If I didn't already know that the PM was a fervent Royalist, I might have suspected he was trying to get rid of them. Why didn't he offer to keep them there permanently?

I understand that George was allowed almost complete control of the airplane within minutes after takeoff. I mean't the auto-pilot of course. The future King was probably happily snuggled down on the nanny's lap by this time, as any reasonably intelligent chap would prefer to be had he the choice.

PS. Going back to the caption contest: "Spread yer legs wider Ma'am, make room for the stick!"

Now then, now then, no need to get upset by airship's nastiness towards the Royals. That was supposed to be a yoke.

500N
25th Apr 2014, 22:32
Airship

Sorry to disappoint you but we only provided an aircraft to Sydney and made them fly commercial to the uk. We don't think that much of them :O

pigboat
26th Apr 2014, 02:51
From The National Post Online...

Dear Diary: ?Your arboretums and petting zoos shall never go unvisited by a member of the House of Windsor? | National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04/25/dear-diary-your-arboretums-and-petting-zoos-shall-never-go-unvisited-by-a-member-of-the-house-of-windsor/)

Cacophonix
26th Apr 2014, 03:04
Go figure... Chick with child doesn't go wild with her husband in the desert...

Caco

Caboclo
26th Apr 2014, 05:48
Blimey! Climbing into a fighter cockpit in dress and heels?!! She deserves some respect for pulling that off. I expect some Master of Protocol somewhere is either being fired or firing all his flunkies for dreaming that one up.

acbus1
26th Apr 2014, 07:07
we only provided an aircraft to Sydney

...and, would you believe it, all those loosened nuts actually stayed on! :*

mickjoebill
26th Apr 2014, 07:08
Like the kangaroo and platypus, Oz has its quirks, like the Queens likeness being on the Australian currency and Australians having less right to work and live in the UK than a German, this aspect is quite an irony of modern times, given the significance the royals were given during the ANZAC commemorations.

Mickjoebill

acbus1
26th Apr 2014, 07:19
Australians having less right to work and live in the UK than a German
You have to go through the Polish or Romanian conversion first, after which it's a breeze.

Although why any Auistralian would want to work and live in the UK is beyond me. :confused:

500N
26th Apr 2014, 07:29
Mick

given the significance the royals were given during the ANZAC commemorations.

It hmm it was the media who gave them the significance.

They wanted very Low key but the gg asked William to stand on the Dias again the last minute.