PDA

View Full Version : Joining the RAF good idea or not....

RAE
19th May 2002, 00:52
Hello first of all let me say that this is my first post on this board. I am asking this question to you people because after reading the other posts i think that u know what u are thaking about.
My question is that after being in the cadets for a while i am now seriously wanting to join the RAF. However after reading some of the posts here i know would like to know form anybody how knows is the RAF any good to be in or is it plauged by low Morale and is everybody wanting to leave.

In advance thanks for any replys i get (or mabey not).

RotaDish
19th May 2002, 02:42
RAE,

Firstly, I can say that the RAF has a lot to offer. Understand that many of the grumbles on this site are very specific, and generally made by people who have been in the RAF a long time (Like BEagle, who joined just before Pontious!) It can be difficult to see that actually many RAF folk are happy, although I will admit, some are not.
Also, you might like to let the forum know what trade, and at what level, you are thinking of joining. That way, you will get responses from "Them 'as know, and not Them 'as doesn't".

Personally, I have had, and continue to have a great time in the RAF. Few occupations offer the fellowship, satisfaction and general pride of any millitary service, but it is not just a job, it is a way of life. I am lucky, in that I fly, but there are many other areas to choose from. The best place to find out where you could fit into the "Big Wheel", would be at your local Careers Office, or on the RAF web site, just do a search for "RAF".

All the very best of luck, and as a last note, if you are serious about a millitary career, check out the Army and Navy too! they just might have a job which is more suited to you than us!

Rota

Mr C Hinecap
19th May 2002, 08:27
There is good and bad in every possible career you could choose. It is not until you get inside you can see everything, good and bad. It is then up to you as to whether you can accept the balance that your Branch/Trade brings and therefore stay or go.

Yes, there are some bad things - working with few/no resources, lack of experienced manpower, government-induced overstretch etc BUT.......overall, this is the finest bunch of boys & girls I've ever had the pleasure of standing alongside. From my own personal experience, I'd suggest getting a civvy job - for a year or 2 only - before joining. I joined a little (aged 23) late, but I feel it gives me perspective - I know the grass is not that green on the other side - I've been there.

There - another Blunty rant.

Klingon
19th May 2002, 09:12
WOW!
Very worthy sentiments and advice........nearly had me wishing I was 18 again and back at boot school.

RAE......take all of what you read on this posterboard with a pinch of salt mate. Most of the stuff is just banter that you won't understand until you've grown some chin hair. It requires insight and an involvement in the action, especially as a non flying player.

We oldies have enjoyed the best times and even Beagle, who has "RAF" written all the way through his S**t will have to admit that those days are over and we are now a third rate air force with poor equipment and lowering standards. Even so, RAF mates are the best you will work with and we still **** all over the americans on a good day!

Good Luck!:cool:

spekesoftly
19th May 2002, 14:38
RAE, also remember that 'the best times .... those days are over' - is only relative. Those that served before Klingon, BEagle etc, would say the same of their time in the RAF. The best times can still be 'here and now' if you have enough enthusiasm to work hard and enjoy. People will always look back and reflect wistfully, no matter what career they may pursue.

Busta
19th May 2002, 23:39
I retired 14 years ago, but it was the best fun I ever had with my trousers on.

nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

leshodge
20th May 2002, 11:29
Hmmm... i have toyed and toyed with the idea of going for a SSC and signing away 12 years of my life to become a pilot in the RAF or not seriously for the past couple of years. I went for selction at Cranwell to get my flying scholarship a couple of years ago, and i have now progressed on to get my PPL. I have applied and my OASC is on 28th May. In the cadets we do get an insight into the RAF, albeit a little glorified at times. But us older, more wiser ones can see past the scripts and know that all is not hunky dorey 24/7 despite what RAF News would have everyone beleive.
However, i am now waiting with baited breath to find out if the RAF want me, i am very attracted to the Community, to the like minded individuals, all the spiel that you may think is pre-prepared i find is actually relative. I am wholly uninterested in a civilian career, i want a life wherei have actually 'done' something. And if thats just explained as being part of the big wheel, then let me in.
I appreciate i am left flagging in that i will be open to criticism of my immature unknowledgeable young approach, but so be it.
Passion to fly and a desire to be surrounded by like minded individuals will not depreciate over time i trust, where maybe enthusiasm and will power may. Roll on my mid life crisis!
Thanks
Lee Hodgkinson

Klingon
20th May 2002, 21:56
Such commitment and desire should not go unrewarded.
Take a commission and go to the head of flight training young man.....the service nerds you.:cool:

BEagle
21st May 2002, 05:40
Joining the RAF good idea or not.....

Once upon a time, when Pontius was a Cadet Pilot, I would have said "YES!!". But whether to join the cash-strapped administrivia-ridden RAF of today with its aged aeroplanes (there's yet another 40th anniversary of first flight coming this week - is that something we should be proud of? Especially as the ac type in question may have to stagger on for a further 8 years....), I honestly have to say:

"I Can't Answer That Question"

Mike RO'Channel
21st May 2002, 08:18
If you join, there may be times when you wan't to reach for your pistol and end it all, but when times are good, there's nothing better!
If you like a real challenge........... go for it!

teeteringhead
21st May 2002, 09:20
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for NOT having been a soldier or NOT having been to sea" Thus Dr Johnson nearly 300 years ago. From what you say you also I guess in time would miss "NOT having been a military aviator". 12 years seems forever at your age, but it's not - and if it's too bloody, there are ways to get out sooner.
I agree with the other old gits: yes cash-strapped, yes too much admin; it's not perfect (what job is?) But on the good days, when the sun is shining, and the jet/helo/multi is purring, and you get the satisfaction of doing a REAL job bombing/reecceing/rescuing/supplying/tanking/transporting/instructing it just cannot be beaten. I joined many years ago as a virginal 18 yr old on an SSC (8 years in them days), thinking: "This looks like fun, and worthwhile; when it stops being fun (or stops being worthwhile) I'll do something else". 30-ish years, 5000-ish hours, 17 types (captain on 10 of them) later, I'm still doing the job ........... because it's still worthwhile and I haven't stopped having fun.
DO it, you'll always regret it if you don't

FL001
25th May 2002, 19:58
RAE,

Pprune is mainly here for gossip and gripes (mainly gripes)
You will very rarely see "I get paid too much...." or "Look what a wonderfull company I work for"
I had a ball, even though most of it was at Kinloss! I miss it and as well as learning a lot, I met people who will always remain friends. :)