PDA

View Full Version : Converting an ICAO (FAA) Type Rating to EASA/JAA

Dreamshiner
4th Apr 2014, 13:34
I'm posting this thread in Terms & Endearment as I think it answers a question that a lot of experienced pilots would like to know definitively. As this is the forum that I think most would tend to visit I've posted it here. I don't think it warrants inclusion in the Training forum as I doubt many who would find the information contained here would visit that part of PPRuNe.

The second reason I include it is it took an email to the CAA for this to be answered and rather than sit on it I thought it would be prudent to share this on PPRuNe.

Below is the reply I received with respect to a question relating to converting an FAA type rating to my European licence. I hope anyone who is contemplating or about to embark on the process finds this useful.

The UK CAA has been issuing EASA licences since 17th September 2012. CAP 804 is the replacement of LASORS (JAR) and details the new licensing requirements. The requirements to transfer a type rating from an ICAO licence can be found in CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q, subpart 2 (page 3) ‘Acceptance of Class and Type Ratings.’ I have attached a link below for your information:

CAP 804: Flight Crew Licensing: Mandatory Requirements, Policy and Guidance | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5000) (CAP 804)

An applicant is required to hold 500 hours on the type prior to the skills test. In addition you must be current and valid on the type and hold a current and valid ICAO licence.

On completion of the above the following documentation applies:

1. Application form SRG1119A
2. Examiner Report Form SRG2199
3. Original flying logbook (to see a minimum of 500 hours)
4. Original ICAO licence or a certified copy by your examiner

The UK CAA is now issuing EASA Part-FCL licences which have replaced UK and JAR licences. CAP 804 is the replacement of LASORS (JAR) and details the new licensing requirements. For further information on the EASA licence please refer to CAP 804, Section 3, page 5 ‘Expiring Licences.’ I have attached a link below for your information:

CAP 804: Flight Crew Licensing: Mandatory Requirements, Policy and Guidance | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5000) (CAP 804)

The conversion date for flying EASA certified aircrafts is 8th April 2014. For further information on the EASA transition and the key dates that affect you please refer to our FAQ’s on our website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/h-FAQs%20May%202012.pdf (FAQ’s)
Approval Process Details | Commercial Pilots | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=2725&pagetype=65&appid=54&mode=summary&appprocsum=200) (EASA conversion web pages)

As the holder of JAR licence you do not need to hold any current and valid ratings in order to convert to an EASA Part-FCL licence. Any current ratings which you hold will be annotated on the front of your licence, and any previous ratings held which have now expired will be printed on the reverse of your licence.

The following requirements apply in order to convert your JAR licence to an EASA licence:

1. Hold a current and valid JAR/Part-FCL Class 1 Medical Certificate, all medical records must be held in the UK.
2. Hold a current and valid ICAO Language Proficiency level - See CAP 804, Section 4, Part M, page 2 ‘FCL.055 – Language Proficiency’

On completion of the above the following documents are required:

1. Licence conversion application form SRG1104 or the online equivalent form
2. A copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page (from your previous JAR licence) certified by your CFI/Examiner/Training Provider. We will only need to see your Certificate of Revalidation page if you hold any current ratings, if you do not then this is not required.
3. Copy of current and valid UK issued JAR/Part-Med Class 1 Medical
4. Evidence of current UK Language Proficiency*
5. The current fee as per the CAA Scheme of Charges £139.00

pezetaroi
22nd Apr 2014, 04:34
So what about those 14 written exams?

Journey Man
24th Apr 2014, 08:44
pezetaroi

I may have misread, but I believe you're talking about the fourteen ATPL theoretical knowledge exams for licence issue whereas this appears to concern the addition of a type rating held on a foreign licence, onto an existing EASA, or older JAA, licence.

I may have misread it though...

Dreamshiner
2nd May 2014, 02:38
You can't beat a bit of not fully reading a question on an internet forum. Ahhh the joys.

Anyway, I've just been asked for a No Incident Record from the previous employer and/or Aviation Authority. Anyone had experience of getting this and if so how much do the CAA charge (as I doubt they'd do it for a wink and a cheeky smile)

M-ONGO
24th Jul 2017, 08:56
Sorry to revive an old thread.

Quick question, does anyone know whether EASA will accept anything less than the 500 hours on type to convert ICAO to EASA? I presently have 470 on a particular new type, plus over 60 on an approved level D sim. I'd ideally like to add this type to my EASA licence soon. I have other multi crew time on another type.

I'm assuming its time on the actual aircraft itself, but wondered if anyone has been granted an exception.

ThePilotWorld
25th Nov 2018, 02:09
Hello,

I have Hawker 850XPI type rating on my ICAO license and I want to get it on my EASA license . I want to know the procedures to do it below is details about both license and time

ICAO CPL with valid IR til July 2019

EASA CPL from Denmark IR expired

Total Time On Type : 430 Flight + ( 60 Hrs Simulator ) Does the simulator time counts on total time of the type ?

I dont have MCC will it be required ? As I am currently already flying as FO !

If I take the EASA Exam for the Type Rating will it automatically renew my EASA IR ?

looking for your help and wish you all happy Landings