PDA

View Full Version : An African hero

dfdasein
4th Apr 2014, 10:38
BBC News - Capt Mbaye Diagne: A good man in Rwanda (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26793157)

tony draper
4th Apr 2014, 10:52
They ran a item on the chap on Newsnight last night,would that there were more of his ilk on that poor benighted continent.
:(

funfly
4th Apr 2014, 13:17
It really is a sad continent, I spent 18 years travelling across it and the violence and inequality appalled me. The sad thing is that independence from European control gave way to control by equally bad indigenous governments.

Lonewolf_50
4th Apr 2014, 16:04
Where do we find such men? :ok:

A fundamental problem of the UN. From the article about the hero from Senegal.
The militia considered Belgians, the former colonial power in Rwanda, to be their enemy. They had recently killed 10 Belgian soldiers, who were part of the UN force, calculating that this would make the entire Belgian UN contingent leave Rwanda – which it did.
Not an isolated case.
See the flight from Baghdad in 2003 after the car bomb hit the UN HQ.
Blue flag flees.

er340790
4th Apr 2014, 16:08
Don't mention the Dutch......

:oh: :oh: :oh:

exeng
5th Apr 2014, 00:58
It really is a sad continent, I spent 18 years travelling across it and the violence and inequality appalled me. The sad thing is that independence from European control gave way to control by equally bad indigenous governments

I've spent a few decades flying to and from the continent, plus living on and off for 5 years in what is considered possibly to be worst part of the place.

When you say 'equally bad' I have to disagree. The local governments in these countries have absolutely trounced their colonial rulers in greed and corruption etc.

Regards
Exeng

Cacophonix
5th Apr 2014, 01:07
You know despite everything you say (which is accurate), I miss Africa and the absolute kindness and often gentleness of the place...

Caco