PDA

View Full Version : Meteor near miss

tony draper
3rd Apr 2014, 20:53
:uhoh:
Note 'Meteor',it would not become a Meteorite until it hits the ground,had it hit him it would still be a meteor,parachutist being biological not geological:rolleyes:
Skydiver nearly struck by meteorite - NRK - Viten (http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly-struck-by-meteorite-1.11646757)

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 21:01
Interesting if they found it !

tony draper
3rd Apr 2014, 21:06
A newly fallen Meteorite can be worth a few bob.:)
Replace the word Meteorite with Woman in that sentence and the same applies :rolleyes:

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 21:09
A few bob, with quite a few 0'000's on the end !!!

If not 00,000 ;)

Thomas coupling
3rd Apr 2014, 21:21
Why isn't it a Comet? And if it was a comet, wouldn't Haley want it back?:ouch:

con-pilot
3rd Apr 2014, 21:27
Like the guy in the video said, if it had hit the skydiver, that would have been a hell of an accident investigations. :p

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 21:30
Con

You can say that again !

If it had hit any extremety, the part would have gone.

If it had hit him centre mass / chest, it would have made one hell of a hole
if not as they said, cut him in half :rolleyes:

con-pilot
3rd Apr 2014, 21:59
cut him in half

Yeah, I can see how this could have been reported had that happened.

Caller, "Hello, is this the NTSB (or whatever they call it there)?

NTSB, "Yes, how can we help you?"

Caller, "Well we've had an accident here at the jump base, a jumper just landed and only half of him is here."

NTSB, "You say only half of him landed, huh which half?"

Caller, "The top bit."

NTSB, "Well where is the rest of him?"

Caller, "Don't know."

NTSB, "Okay, what hit him, the jump aircraft?"

Calller, "Nope, not the jump aircraft, we don't know what hit him."

NTSB, "Okay, lets get this straight, you've half a jumper, don't know where the other half is and you don't know what hit him, is that correct?"

Caller, "Yes, that's right."

NTSB, "Right then, call us back in the morning after you sober up." Click.

tony draper
3rd Apr 2014, 22:16
It didn't seem that big or to be traveling that fast,probably at its terminal velocity,most of its momentum would have been eaten up by the atmosphere by the time it got down to that level,hard to say how big it was given there was nowt really to compare it to.
:uhoh:

llondel
4th Apr 2014, 03:00
Why isn't it a Comet?

I didn't think there were any more Comets in the air, didn't the RAF finally ground all the airframes?

wdew
4th Apr 2014, 04:37
Fake fake fake,
it is suppose to be flaming hot ,warp speed fast and yet here you see a rock falling past just when he opens his chute and it conveniently is in the frame at a speed of something that looks like it was dropped from another skydiver ...
1 st of April.:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
4th Apr 2014, 06:14
I've always wondered why meteorites are worth so much money, as there are seemingly loads that fall to earth every year ? I realise that the vast majority hit land, or more likely sea in remote areas where no-one lives, but enough of them come to make them less than rare relatively speaking :confused: Do they go to collectors or are they all destined to go to seats of learning to be disseminated and studied?

SHJ

500N
4th Apr 2014, 06:17
A lot are sold for big $, hence why the scramble to find them
As people make good money selling them.

onetrack
4th Apr 2014, 06:19
I knew my MKVIII catapult was pretty potent - but this is the first time I've had any real confirmation that a rock I put in it, can actually reach 2000M altitude. :suspect: :E

acbus1
4th Apr 2014, 07:21
Jees! I'd be $h!ttIng bricks!

...and the bull above me, too

Tarq57
4th Apr 2014, 07:58
Why isn't it a Comet? And if it was a comet, wouldn't Haley want it back?:ouch:
More likely to be a chunk of 777 than a Comet, I would've thought.

cattletruck
4th Apr 2014, 11:08
A clump of mud falling off from the jump plane's wheels wouldn't sound as spectacular, unless it was the pilot taking an urgent dump when he finally got a moment to himself.

awblain
4th Apr 2014, 11:28
It certainly looks like a 10-cm sized rocky meteorite on the darwin cam. There's even possibly shininess from the heated surface visible in reflection.

Given that the frame rate and field of view is known, the correlation between size and terminal velocity from that sequence of 5-6 frames should be able to give a consistent picture of what size it was.

It the Darwin cam has a GPS, then it might even be possible to work out where it would have landed.

Caboclo
4th Apr 2014, 18:29
NTSB, "Right then, call us back in the morning after you sober up." Click.

My drinking club has a skydiving problem.

+1 for fake.

jolihokistix
5th Apr 2014, 04:24
Where did he roll up his parachute? The power of it deploying could have flicked an enfolded rock up into the air...

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Apr 2014, 06:13
Little chance of the object being from the jumpship or the jumpers' equipment. Aircraft had already passed them on the way down and the canopies are generally packed on soft grass or packing mats to avoid damage. They also spend most of the packing time suspended from the shoulders of the packer while clearing and flaking, before being folded into the bag and the lines stowed on the outside.

SpringHeeledJack
5th Apr 2014, 06:28
The speed and position at which said rock passed him would strongly suggest that the object originated higher up. Assuming there were no Norwegian AirForce C-130's in the vicinity hoofing rocks out the back of the ramp as an April Fool's Day prank, it should be safe to assume that it originated from the reaches of space. As to what advantage said jumper would have to fake the incident, apart from momentary internet fame, I know not :confused:

Hypothetically speaking, if one were in a field and said meteorite landed nearby uneventfully and one handled it, would there be a good chance of being contaminated with some unknown bacteria/virus or would the searing heat of the friction of bouncing through the atmosphere seal and/or destroy the unknown stuff inside and it would just be a rock from outer space ?

SHJ

jolihokistix
5th Apr 2014, 06:29
ssSabotage? :suspect: