PDA

View Full Version : Vale Henry Levy AirTC Gliding Instructor.

catseye
3rd Apr 2014, 16:23
Regret to advise the following received. Thoughts with Ellen.

Henry started many a civil and military aircrew member's career at RAAF Richmond Gliding Club and with the Flying Ants.

On behalf of the Officer Commanding and 301 Aviation Training Flight It is with much sadness to advise that Chief Inspector Henry Levy (retd) passed away last night following a long illness.
Chief Inspector Levy and his wife Ellen were for three decades a solid foundation within the 3WG Aviation gliding team as civilian
instructors. Both Henry and Ellen without fail attended 8 weeks of
gliding courses every year and contributed to all aspects of the
largest flying operation in the AAFC.
Henry without doubt has flown more hours with AAF Cadets, and sent the most AAF Cadets solo in the history of the AIRTC and AAFC. His good friend FLTLT(AAFC) Eddie Pike would be the only other member that I believe could rival that accomplishment.
There are a considerable number of commercial pilots, Australian
Defence Force pilots, gliding instructors, gliding and recreational
pilots that started their aviation career with Henry. Still to this
day Henry was contacted by many passing on their thanks and gratitude.
Unfortunately Henry will miss the opening of the DoD Bathurst Aviation Centre, something that he was passionately involved with assisting in the user requirements and also contributing to the construction of the original proposal. A plaque will be installed at the new Aviation Centre in Henry’s memory.
The Gliding Federation of Australian and 301 Aviation Training Flight have lost a great person that contributed heavily to making both organisations what they are today. The impact this man has made will continue to positively influence the current culture in 3 Wing and for many years to come.
Our condolences are with his wife Ellen and their family at this time.
Funeral arrangements will be advised to those who wish to attend,
please contact the undersigned for details.
Regards,
Bill Gleeson-Barker
Squadron Leader. AAFC
Senior Aviation Officer
Headquarters 3 Wing Lidcombe Barracks
Chief Flying Instructor
301 Aviation Training Flight
Mobile: 0408 443 009
Email: [email protected]

trackdirect
4th Apr 2014, 05:55
Sad news,

Henry was one of my instructors at RAAF Richmond gliding club and taught me to fly without an engine way back in 1989.
He will be missed.
RIP Ol Mayte...

Noeyedear
6th Apr 2014, 03:41
I saw the thread title and I have to say I was surprised (pleasantly) that Henry had been around this long. When you are a teenager, anyone older seems really old I guess!

Henry did some of my ab-initio and my first solo check back in 1979. I imagine in the intervening 35 years, he's had a positive influence on many careers.

These days I'm bouncing around far more worldly stages than the Richmond circuit area, but the basics of airmanship never change.

Vale Henry Levy, a good man.

Stretch06
6th Apr 2014, 06:32
Very sad to see this post. As a teenager At Bathurst glider camps I spent many hours in the air with him. He taught me many aspects of airmanship that I now instill in my students.

He will be missed, as I am sure there are many cadets who recall the threat of a dolly bar to the back of the head if you failed to heed the call "speed you fool, I don't want to die" from the backseat. Or the possibility of a windsock run (to think about your actions) if you did something stupid.

Stretch

catseye
6th Apr 2014, 10:46
Funeral Details - Chief Inspector Henry Levy.

Newcastle Crematorium and Memorial Gardens - 176 Anderson Drive
Beresfield at 2pm on Wednesday 9th of April.