View Full Version : Anyone ever operated in Gabon?

nowherespecial
2nd Apr 2014, 16:04
I hear it's nightmare. Does anyone have any up to date AIPs etc for Gabon with legal requirements for passenger flights etc. Rotary focus?

Thanks in advance.

OutsideCAS
2nd Apr 2014, 17:32
A recent outbreak of Ebola would suggest that operational items are the lowest of problems out there. Don't travel there is the best advice.

nowherespecial
2nd Apr 2014, 18:32
Isn't that Guinea and Gambia?

perceval
7th Apr 2014, 17:39
Hi ,
check out the Asecna AIP : AIS ASECNA (http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/index.htm)
If it doesn't cover what you need , try contacting some local operators . Nouvelle air affaires Gabon ( www.sn2ag) for example ....
Ebola ? a bit further up in Guinea I believe ...

Fuzzy Lager
8th Apr 2014, 16:21
Tough neighbourhood. Love messing foreigners around. And ripping them off. Sucks badly

4runner
13th Apr 2014, 21:29
I disagree with many of these statements. I've found Gabon to be the easiest place to operate in west afrika. The Gabonese are a bit"proud" as they're one of the wealthiest countries in the region and sparsely populated. The immigration and caa are easy to work with, even ramp checks are painless and professional. Libreville is safer than most other cities in the region, food is good, women are long legged stallions and the city is pretty clean and safe by African standards, not to mention attractive. Things are a bit expensive but no worse than any country south of Gabon along the coast.

JanetFlight
14th Apr 2014, 02:18
Until some years ago ( and i suppose its more or less the same nowadays), it was the greatest place in Western Africa to an average Western guy/girl. Nice food, health, security, cities, acommodations, etc regarding the typical kind of African countries around that region. Ebola, afaik its to north away...:)

nowherespecial
18th Apr 2014, 07:16
Thanks guys. I saw the AIP but wasn't sure if the procedures really represented thre truth. My dealings so far have been ok with ANAC and aviaiton customs but in the rest of the country, nothing happens without a bribe. Which is painful..! :)

CentreOfExcellence
18th Apr 2014, 16:11
If you're complaining of corruption and bribes, you're obviously new to Africa. Gabon is very LOW on the scale compared to others on the west coast. Libreville is one of Africa's nicer, safer cities. Expensive, yes but so is Kinshasa and you shouldn't dare walk the streets there day or night.

Regarding corruption: The louder a country proclaims it's corruption free status, the more dark and depraved the underlying corruption and dishonesty.

FalconHK
19th Apr 2014, 05:15
Just make sure that you hire a Local Handler... I have been there about 3 years ago. There is a good hotel by the airport ( the only one) I am sorry but I do not remember the name. ATC was also acceptable. However, Africa is a surprise box.

Fuel worked out ok, When I operate in Africa, I tend to get fuel on Arrival for the next leg..Always a good idea to leave the aircraft ready to roll.

Good Luck.!!