PDA

View Full Version : US hour building

mad_jock
14th Sep 2001, 17:59
I was looking forward to 2 weeks hour building leaving on the 30th of September.

If anyone can think of anyway of making the trip through immigration as stress free as possible i would love to hear.

I am really not looking forward to walking through with a flight bag. But then again put all the stuff in a suitcase makes it look as if i have something to hide... not good.

If i could i would try and postpone the trip but i need the hours to do the CPL course in Nov.

MJ

thecoltster
14th Sep 2001, 21:02
Mad-Jock,

I am in a very similar situation to you but I am going on the 10th of October, do you have any idea what the state of play regarding GA will be by then? I have a mate over there at the moment in Florida who is stuck doing sod all and is supposed to be coming back soon, he's done 2 of his 50 hours.
I have no idea what the security situation is likely to be like, but I like you am concerned a little, last time I visited the US I set the metal detectors off with a plate I have in my back! I guess all they'll be is more strict on personal belongings and bag x ray? I am not overly concerned though?
I don't in anyway want to sound belittling of the tragedy that has gone on by inquiring about General aviation so soon after such an attorcity-I like everyone else am appauled by what went on, however its occurence could has already effected people benefiting from American GA prices. I don't know what the consequence are likely to be? Anyone else have any ideas? :( :confused:

mad_jock
17th Sep 2001, 14:11
Ok

Got some info back from the chaps in Winterhaven.

Apparently 2 people arrived yesturday and they told them they were over for hour building and immigration didn't bat an eye.
VFR flights are going to be allowed after today they think.

They haven't even put a no fly zone around Disney which intend to avoid anyway just so i don't annoy anyone.

MJ

17th Sep 2001, 14:34
Hey hour builders,

A little tip not concerning the events of Tuesday but still useful. I was in FLA for hour building last summer.
Do not just fly around to build hours, but do the US PPL. You need maximally 20 hrs and then you got an other license and it's valid forever. Furthermore to do the PPL is a good re-training for a 50-100 hour guy (I think you're one of these).
I'm not an anti-JAA guy like ronch and later I wanna fly in Europe. But if there will be trouble with the JAA, you have a US PPL as alternative. And one never knows what these JAA-burocrats will do as next.

Regards 380

mad_jock
17th Sep 2001, 16:28
Hi

I was actually going to miss the PPL bit out and remove the "must have JAR lic with you" bit on my current FAA lic by doing there CPL.

You can do a CPL and FI ratings for the same price as the FI rating in the UK and you can still fly IFR if you need to on your UK license. I will play it by ear for a few months.

Another info point
http://www.faa.gov

MJ

thecoltster
17th Sep 2001, 21:21
Think you need 250hrs for the US CPL? Don't quote me though, thus I'd need another hundred odd to do that so it is out of the question. Also I thought that when I went out last year, did a check ride and had my licence endorsed it meant that I also had a FAA PPL anyway, is says something very similar to that on the certificate that they subsequently sent me?

GoneWest
18th Sep 2001, 03:26
JUST HEARD (Monday, 7pm Eastern Time [Midnight UK]) that FSDO are no longer giving FAA licences over the counter.

This means hour builders.....CAN"T.

I'll confirm this with the office tomorrow - but if you cannot get an FAA licence at FSDO, you cannot fly in USA to build your hours.

Britmil
18th Sep 2001, 07:14
Having just completed a CPL ME IR in the US, you need 250 hrs for the CPL of which 50 can be in a sim or flight training device. I haven't much experience of JAA as I can work over here. It took me 8 months to go from zero to CPL ME IR, I am starting a CFI course now, but after that who knows whats going to happen. If you have the hours and the required aeronautical experience (40 hrs total, 5 hrs x-country solo, 3 hrs dual at night inc 10 takeofs and landings, plus a few other things)a UK PPL holder should be able to take the FAA PPL test reasonably quickly, the knowledge test is easy and the you can even take it in the UK at Gloucester Airport. I imagine the practical test is similar to CAA/JAA, cross-country portion, diversion, stalls, slow flight, steep turns, ground reference maneuvers, engine out approach, hood work, a bit of VOR work, then back for landings - soft field/shortfield , slips etc. I'd be glad to help out with any specific questions.

It looks bad but you have to remain optimistic!

Jepp
21st Sep 2001, 12:38
Am I correct in assumming that to obtain a full FAA ppl ie one that is not issued on the basis of a UK one , that all you need is to pass class 3 med, pass theory, and do the flight test ? . I was under the impression that you needed specific flight training as well , maybee the whole sylabus ?

mad_jock
21st Sep 2001, 14:14
Well it all seems to be looking good for the hour building trip for me.

The only hang up may be getting the bi-annual out of the way but as there is over a week to go before flying out i presume that the locals will have sorted that before i arrive.

It should be quite good for hour builders just now, the planes will be free because the PPL's training is grounded and alot of people havn't bothered flying out.

MJ

thecoltster
21st Sep 2001, 14:40
Mad Jock,

It's ok for you to go out to the US and hr build? So does that mean your check ride isn't classed as a 'training ride'? I only ask as I am off to CA next month to do an hr build and multi, I am going with a mate who is getting his night. I presume under the current restrictions, the multi and night I presume would currently be off limits? Any ideas? I had my CAA licence endorsed in the US last year when I visited Winterhaven, (I see you are going there-jave a great time I did!) However my mate hasn't had his endorsed yet, is that likely to be a problem at the moment?
If you have any more news about what is going on re. training and hour building let us know! Cheers

COLT

mad_jock
21st Sep 2001, 15:06
I believe that you may have problems with the training and the faa license. But punching holes in the sky after the bi-annual shouldn't be a problem.

I am currently tring to get one before i go just to cover myself. To be honest I think they will allow bi-annuals soon because they have a huge impact on GA flying in general to the US pilots. As for the training aspects i think it might take longer because they will want to have some sort of checks going about who you are etc.

I think if there are no ppl's in the circuit i should manage 2*3hr trips per day.

MJ