PDA

View Full Version : 7 lots of veg

Lord Spandex Masher
1st Apr 2014, 17:57
According to some scientisty type on the news eating all of that reduces your chances of dying by 42%.

:ok:

tony draper
1st Apr 2014, 18:06
Didn't fall for that April Fool did yer? veg is what food eats.:rolleyes:

pineridge
1st Apr 2014, 18:22
Tony Draper said.........

`.......veg is what food eats.`

Yet again, Mr. Draper, you have made me giggle. Thank you.

con-pilot
1st Apr 2014, 18:32
Beer is made out of vegtables. Can't see a problem. :p

Windy Militant
1st Apr 2014, 18:55
What's the hardest part of a Vegetable to eat?
The wheel chair! :}

Aber Rag circa 1969

I know Top hat , cloak, twirl moustache exit stage left

Lord Spandex Masher
1st Apr 2014, 19:03
Didn't fall for that April Fool did yer?

Maybe I did but it's 'cos I didn't expect the scientisty type to have a sense of humour.

tony draper
1st Apr 2014, 19:07
Cannot claim it as my own Mr Pine, shamelessly plagiarized.:rolleyes:

bedsted
1st Apr 2014, 20:39
More veg = more farts= more noise = more pongs = more methane = more global warming.
Oh well :hmm:

Ogre
1st Apr 2014, 21:24
There was a television advertisement a coupleof years ago that started by telling us how methane was contributing to global warming, and the biggest methane producers. It mentioned industry, air travel, etc. then pointed the finger firmly at cows.
The logic went, eat less beef, need less cows, produce less methane, save the planet. Didn't actually say it but implied it

Tankertrashnav
1st Apr 2014, 21:57
I like veg - but in a restaurant why does it always have to be bloody broccoli (and just about raw, at that)? Can't stand the stuff :*

pigboat
1st Apr 2014, 22:07
The logic went, eat less beef, need less cows, produce less methane, save the planet. Didn't actually say it but implied it.

Not to worry, President Obama's on it.

SteynOnline: Introducing ObamaCow. (http://www.steynonline.com/6218/introducing-obamacow)

BenThere
1st Apr 2014, 22:15
Good God I love broccoli! In fact, the biggest problem I have spending 12 or so nights on the road is getting the vegetables I need for a balanced diet.

I love to eat broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, and other good for me things. Hard to find them in airports or at 10 pm when you get to the hotel, hungry, after a long day at work. Then you're pretty much limited to beer, pizza, or fried bar food, if you can get anything at all.

pigboat
1st Apr 2014, 23:26
Lemon garlic broccoli.

Separate a head of broccoli into roughly equal size florets, soak in ice water for 30 minutes to crisp 'em up, then blanche in boiling salted water for a couple of minutes until crisp-tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK!! Dump the broccoli into a strainer and hold under cold running water for a minute or two to stop the cooking process and set aside. In a deep non-stick skillet over medium heat add two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, one finely chopped garlic clove and a thinly sliced shallot and cook for one minute or until soft. Add broccoli florets, salt and pepper to taste, one teaspoon of grated lemon rind and two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Use a spatula to stir-fry the whole thing for a couple of minutes until the broccoli has heated up. Tasty. :ok:

BenThere
2nd Apr 2014, 01:36
I'm going to try that next time, pigboat.

My culinary secret is that olive oil and garlic are often the foundation of masterpieces no matter what you cook around them.

pigboat
2nd Apr 2014, 02:35
My culinary secret is that olive oil and garlic are often the foundation of masterpieces no matter what you cook around them.
You'll get no argument from me on that.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Apr 2014, 05:17
Toss that with linguine, capers, olives and a couple of anchovies and you've got a pretty good dinner in around ten minutes.

sitigeltfel
2nd Apr 2014, 05:44
Oh well, back to the steak tartare...

Killer veg (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-100825/Eating-vegetables-seriously-damage-health.html)

ruddman
2nd Apr 2014, 06:23
Veges is where it's at.

I'm not vaginaterian,but ya can't go wrong with veges. All those vitamins and pills are poo compared to what you get from vegetables.

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Apr 2014, 06:45
Killer veg (http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=1e857e7500cdd32403f752206c297a3d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast%2F537169-7-lots-veg.html&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-100825%2FEating-vegetables-seriously-damage-health.html&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast-16%2F)

Love it !!

Had a friend who reckoned that the medical profession do an about face every 5 years or so - remember the Edna Currie egg scare ? - and he said that when they get around to proving that lying in bed eating potato crisps ( chips in USA speak ) and drinking beer, he was way ahead of them.

Long story, but the gist of it was a lorry driver in marital stress, who took his 3 yr. old son with him "on the road". When questioned by huffy fluffy do-gooders about this practice and what did he feed the child on, he replied - same as me, Guiness and fish and chips every night at whatever roadside pull-in we happen to be. Shock ! Horror ! talk of child abuse etc. but a nutritionist did an analysis and found that the child was not suffering from any ill effects, and was properly nourished !! Iron, fibre, Vitamin C, all in abundance !

QED.

acbus1
2nd Apr 2014, 06:54
Margaret Thatcher cabinet of vegetables (08Apr13) - YouTube

probes
2nd Apr 2014, 07:12
reduces your chances of dying by 42%.
so, I'd be 42% less dead?

otherwise, thanks, pigboat!
Just can't imagine why broccoli is so unpopular. Except that it stinks when being cooked.

Cyber Bob
2nd Apr 2014, 07:17
I'm confused - do I up my Bloody Mary intake or not?

probes
2nd Apr 2014, 07:34
why not?
I wonder if there's anything with broccoli... :hmm:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50796e74e4b0d6a00b9409b5/t/50e0eb73e4b015296ce1eca6/1356917624371/IMG_3113.jpg?format=750w

indiscipline_girl
2nd Apr 2014, 10:53
So if I eat 7 of these a day, will I live cancer free forever?

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/2025273-650464-raw-ostrich-steak-with-parsley-on-a-plate.jpg

Fliegenmong
2nd Apr 2014, 11:29
Indiscipline Girl.....everytime I see something like that I am reminded of a great (?) Australian Pastoralist, a Janet Holmes A Court....who quipped that if God wanted us not to eat meat he would not have given us the teeth we have....or indeed, John Cleese, who recently noted that if God didn't want us to eat animals....he wouldn't have made them out of Meat!!! :}

pigboat
2nd Apr 2014, 12:27
Humans are omnivores. I like to think that definition means I can eat anything I damn well please. :p
Probes PM me if you want my recipe for linguini and asparagus in lemon cream sauce. Should be eaten sparingly, otherwise you can hear your arteries hardening from the cream and butter.

acbus1
2nd Apr 2014, 12:36
I reckon this is another UK Government con.

They'll raise the minimum State Pension age to 92.3 soon, you just watch. :*

Xenophon
5th Apr 2014, 19:28
If I ate 7 portions of fruit or veg in a day , I would spend the best part of that day & the next sitting (sat ? )on the bog.
My decrepit digestive system is no longer up for that sort of thing. Give me a break.

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Apr 2014, 19:33
According to some scientisty type on the news eating all of that reduces your chances of dying by 42%
Given that everybody's chance of dying is exactly 1, and the scientists know this perfectly well, this is yet another example of the media mangling perfectly good input information and outputing completly incomprehensible garbage.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Apr 2014, 19:39
I have been reading about early expeditions by explorers and settlers into the Rocky Mountains in the 1840's. The healthiest by far were the scouts (white) who lived on buffalo meat, coffee, whisky & water, and absolutely nothing else. Not an illness among them.

ShyTorque
5th Apr 2014, 19:42
7 portions of veg a day? Who wrote that? The Guild of Greengrocers?

Firstly,

What's our most similar species? Gorillas. Haven't they seen how fat gorillas get? And what do gorillas eat? Nothing but veg!

Secondly,

Gorillas only live to an average age of 35 or 40 years.

Pass that burger, will you ....no, not the veggie one!

probes
5th Apr 2014, 20:25
early expeditions by explorers and settlers into the Rocky Mountains in the 1840's
somehow I doubt a little if they'd make a good reference group to be compared with the specimen of contemporary lifestyle? :hmm:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Apr 2014, 20:51
somehow I doubt a little if they'd make a good reference group to be compared with the specimen of contemporary lifestyle?

I would assume ppruners are in better shape than the average, though I did have a navigator who regarded even the playing of cards as "committing sport"

vulcanised
5th Apr 2014, 21:25
Many would choose Tommy Cooper's Whisky Diet.

"I lost three days last week".

alisoncc
5th Apr 2014, 22:40
Need to read the small print at the bottom of the press release - This research was funded by a cartel of vegetable and fruit producers.