PDA

View Full Version : Air Mail Maps, circa 1930

clunckdriver
1st Apr 2014, 14:04
My wife {retired ATCO} came back on from an estate auction a few days ago and brought with her two maps she had purchased for five bucks Canadian, one is a map titled" MAP showing AIR MAIL ROUTES under contract or proposed to be operated by the POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT" in the lower left corner is has printed, "compiled and printed G.S.G.S. No 303-1930" The second map is titled "MAP showing PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT and COMMERCIAL FLYING in CANADA during the year 1929, again in the lower left corner G.S.G.S. No 273{b} 1930". Both maps are in great shape, and in four colours, sorry I cant scan them at this time, will need about a week to do this. Does anyone have any details about these maps? also I wish to frame them and hang them in my "Pilot Cave", any advice on how to do this without damaging them, also any clue as to the value? but Im sure its more than the Fiver my good wife paid! Both maps extend South of the US border and show conecting routes/flights, also areas of Canada which have been photographed from the air are shown in red, {not very much area I might add} We own a few vintage aircraft from roughly this period so any detailes PPruners can provide would be most welcome! So far my internet search has not provided much "Gen". Thanks in advance!

evansb
1st Apr 2014, 22:50
What a find! Do have the maps professionally mounted on acid-free paper, double-mat surrounded by a real wood frame. As an amateur historian I'd love to see your maps in colour. From experience, museums love to acquire old maps, but they expect you to donate, rather than buy.. If you ever tire of looking at them, consider a cash payout via Antique Road Show, or Canadian Pickers.

Although probably no where near as rare, nor as interesting as your maps, the 1940 edition of the 'Canada Air Mail Routes' map shown below depicts towns no longer extant, and omits towns presently thriving..and poor Calgary doesn't even rate bold print! Also note the Telegraph Creek-Atlin air mail service was available only in winter. I'll let the southerners figure that one out...;)
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/convair640082/1940canadaairmailroutes_zpsc9002f64.jpg

clunckdriver
1st Apr 2014, 23:13
Evansb, thanks so much for your informed reply, I will email you some photos when I surface tomorow, right now Im totally wiped out after a day puting fabric on a VERY old flying machine, they say if you recover one aircraft using Nitrate/Butyrate you can kill a million brain cells, right now I think Im in a deficit situation! As for what will be the fate of all our aviation stuff when my wife and I are viewing the grass from the brown side, our kids are in aviation, but much will indeed go to museums , no other nation owes so much to aviation as Canada, and this history MUST be preserved.

clunckdriver
2nd Apr 2014, 11:25
Evansb, check your PMs.

evansb
2nd Apr 2014, 19:49
The 1929 Air Mail Route map below shows Calgary in bold print. An undying mystery is the unnamed town west of Calgary.. Any one ?
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/convair640083/1929CanadaandUSAIRMAILROUTES_zps26aeb888.jpg

Herod
2nd Apr 2014, 20:19
Since it's still within the State boundary, my money would go on Banff.

Rosevidney1
2nd Apr 2014, 20:20
Could it be Brooks?

evansb
2nd Apr 2014, 20:25
Brooks is east of Calgary.. Also, there are no "States" in Canada. Does the word "Province" ring a bell? ? ?

Herod
2nd Apr 2014, 20:47
OK, Provincial boundary, but Banff still seems like a good bet. It was popular as a holiday and spa town even then and, given that the rich and famous would be staying there, an airmail service would seem a good idea.

evansb
2nd Apr 2014, 20:59
True. It could be Banff, Alberta. But..many buts.. Good rationale though:ok:...

Old Speckled Aircrew
2nd Apr 2014, 21:03
Looks like Banff from this article

http://www.skywalker.ca/Flying_Stories/Bob_s_Stories/Banff_History.pdf

evansb
2nd Apr 2014, 22:42
Dear Old Speckled Aircrew,

You are probably right!

Regards,

Brian

thetimesreader84
3rd Apr 2014, 10:51
Does anyone know if its possible to get prints / copies of any of these maps? They'd look great framed on the wall in our house...

TTR

clunckdriver
3rd Apr 2014, 12:12
Times reader, check your PMs.