PDA

View Full Version : FLIGHTWATCH contact frequency

transition_alt
1st Apr 2014, 07:30
Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming CPL NAV exam and I have a question which I hope you'll be able to help me with.

A few friends within my theory course have come out of the NAV exam with a KDR regarding a frequency on which to contact FLIGHTWATCH on (Not sure what the actual KDR is).

Throughout my training I've always thought it was the Melbourne / Brisbane Centre frequencies airspace you're currently in (I've also done that in flight).

The question itself is along the lines of, "Refer to the ERC LOW. You're flying to Inverell at position xxxxx and wish to request weather for arrival to the aerodrome, what frequency would you contact?"

After some searching on here and Google, I found the flight watch VHF frequencies are no longer in operation as of a few years ago.

Looking at ERC LOW 3 (S29 53, E151 08) the frequencies applicable to Inverell, QLD are Brisbane Centre Class A and E, 127.10. As Inverell is close to the frequency border I referred to the ERSA (FAC I-5) and confirmed BN CEN is 127.10.

Also looking in the AIP GEN 3.3, 2.11 it states, "An on-request FIS is available to aircraft in all classes of airspace on ATC VHF or HF frequencies." "Pilots must prefix any request for FIS on ATC VHF frequencies with the call sign on the appropriate ATC unit and the generic call sign "FLIGHTWATCH".

Under that basis, I assume the frequency to contact is 127.1.

In the exam, all 4 options are VHF frequencies. The CEN frequency, 127.1. The AERIS frequency from the PCA, 119.75. The CTAF frequency, 126.70 and the adjacent centre frequency, 125.75.

Others who have had a KDR have answered 127.1. So I'm a bit confused on what the answer actually is...

If you were in the 125.75 centre area when you wish to request, would you call that frequency? That's the only option I can think of for why the answer is wrong constantly. However, my understanding is that the aircraft is within the 127.1 centre area.

Thanks for the help!

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Apr 2014, 09:35
You would be calling "BN Centre Flightwatch" on the frequency for the area you are in. 127.1 if NW of Inverell, 125.75 if that's the area freq for where you are at the time. (Odds are they will both be the same guy you are talking to at the base of the Brisbane control tower.) You should also use this service if amending Sartime, getting the status of airspace, or any other function addressed by Flightwatch.

AERIS is a constant loop of the METARs for the locations listed in the table in ERSA In Flight (GEN-FIS page 1) relevant to that frequency. Saves bothering Flightwatch with asking for the updated weather at those locations and you can't transmit on those frequencies.
Do some reading.:ok:

Flightwatch aren't on CTAF frequencies.

:ok:

Hempy
1st Apr 2014, 09:58
"CONTACT FLIGHTWATCH ON HF! "
:-)

transition_alt
1st Apr 2014, 12:04
Thank-you for the responses and the clarification of everything.

So if that's the case, it suggests to me from what I've been told is that the CASA exam is incorrect. Oh well, I shall see whether I get the question and if I get it correct on Friday :)

Haha, Hempy, oh how fun contacting them on HF! That's the thing I forgot to mention in my post, but all answers are VHF frequencies.

Thanks again!

Jabawocky
1st Apr 2014, 12:53
it suggests to me from what I've been told is that the CASA exam is incorrect.

Ohh yeah.....nothing more likely!

Have you done and passed the exams where they talk about engine management topics? If you passed you answered many questions wrong but were marked correct. And any KDR's you had were possibly because you answered them either right or wrong but the ATO will be only reinforcing the wrong stuff.

There are many places in CPL exams where the text and exams are wrong. Defies the sciences. But how would you the unsuspecting student know this? :rolleyes:

After doing the IREX I was confronted with a couple of KDR's, when I was sat down and asked about them.....I seemed to know the answer, so unless I picked the wrong one by mistake or suddenly became wiser, I will never know. I suspect I was sucked in by tricky cunning questions. But how do you ever know.

So plenty of scope of variable outcomes.:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Apr 2014, 15:04
Hempy.....
If you can get a response....??

Mr TA,
Call BN Centre and they will "grant" your request,
"If workload permits"........

P.s. thanks for the redundo Dick.....

:}

Creampuff
1st Apr 2014, 20:26
The correct answer was E: Check the “Penske File”.

gerry111
2nd Apr 2014, 10:49
With multiple choice exams, I reckon that there should always be options "E" and "F". Option "E" being "All of the above" and "F" being "None of the above". :ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
2nd Apr 2014, 23:27
ERSA GEN FIS 2.3 to back up MakeItHappenCapn's post:ok: