PDA

View Full Version : Mothering Sunday/Mother's Day

Tankertrashnav
30th Mar 2014, 00:37
Tomorrow being the fourth Sunday in Lent it will be Mothering Sunday, or Mother's Day, as it is now widely known. This is not to be confused with the secular Mother's Day which was started up in the US in the early 20th Century, and usually falls in May. There's a lot about Mothering Sunday and Mother's Day here, right down to where to put the apostrophe, which should please PPRuNe grammar pedants!

Mothering Sunday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day

My own mother passed away in 1990, but I'll be thinking about her tomorrow, and wishing she was still around so I could go and visit and take her some flowers. So if your mother, mum, mam, mom or mama is still around, make sure that at the very least you give her a call (and no, a text or email will not suffice).

Lest you get too enthusiastic, however, best take some sound advice from my old favourite, Tom Lehrer

Tom Lehrer- Oedipus Rex - YouTube

TomJoad
30th Mar 2014, 00:47
Well said.

RedhillPhil
30th Mar 2014, 01:13
We have Mothering Sunday.
The U.S. has Mother's day.
Mothering Sunday is all about giving thanks for a mother.
Mother's Day is all about making money from commercially induced guilt. This spawned Father's Day et al.

SARF
30th Mar 2014, 02:10
It's all bollocks. If you love your mum take her out to lunch on Tuesday ..
Or invite her round next weekend . Or do it every week,, rather than get involved in this corporate crap

Cacophonix
30th Mar 2014, 04:27
It's all bollocks. If you love your mum take her out to lunch on Tuesday ...

Probably excellent advice but not always seen as such by some moms.

Taking my better half's mom to lunch today (gulp!) and this actually means forgoing the opportunity to commit some aviation later in the morning (adopts a slightly saintly air).

She is a good stick really and easy on the nerves, ears and soul and probably would not have demurred in the slightest at your wise suggestion but, as she who must be obeyed is away all week, into the cauldron of Mother's Day we must go...

It might be a commercial thing but it does matter. I would love to be able to take my old mom out but sadly she isn't extant anymore.

Caco

Cacophonix
30th Mar 2014, 04:48
Just to say that the conflation of Mothering Sunday with Mother's Day is a relatively recent phenomenon. Mothering Sunday being a Christian tradition going back many years and the 'mother' in this sense originally referred to the mother church.

The history of Mothering Sunday is an interesting one... (as noted in the OP's wiki link).

Call it what, you will, as a pagan materialist, I still think it is important and in this I am sure I am ad idem with more Christian minded folks as well.

Caco

Capetonian
30th Mar 2014, 08:57
A commercial greedfest sponsored by Hallmark cards etc, the date of which varies by country. Apparently today is UK Mothers' day. In Spain and South Africa it's in May (first and second Sunday respectively I think.)

A card arrived yesterday from my son for his mother so despite my misgivings about this type of thing, I'm about to set off for the local graveyard and see if I can nick some flowers to present to his mother with the card.

Matari
30th Mar 2014, 19:07
We have Mothering Sunday.
The U.S. has Mother's day.
Mothering Sunday is all about giving thanks for a mother.
Mother's Day is all about making money from commercially induced guilt.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

con-pilot
30th Mar 2014, 19:17

Now, now, you know it cannot be a proper thread without someone needlessly bashing the US. :=

Now, back on topic, hoping that there will not be another Yank bash post before I can post this.

Both my wife's and my mothers are deceased, never the less, if I don't do something 'really nice' for my wife on Mother's Day, well, I don't want even to go there. :ouch:

tony draper
30th Mar 2014, 19:50
According to someone on the Telly half a hour ago Mothering Sunday was the one day of the year a chap was supposed to return to his Mother Church to worship, meeting his mum there was secondary.
:)

Tankertrashnav
30th Mar 2014, 21:29
Yes Tony, Id never heard that before. All covered in that link I posted above, was new to me

RedhillPhil
30th Mar 2014, 23:07

I'm being factual.
Mother's day in the U.S. is traditionally celebrated on the second Sunday of May.
Mothering Sunday in the U.K. is a Christian festival celebrated on the fourth Sunday in lent and was originally for people to return to their mother church.
U.S. and Canadian troops in the U.K. for both the first and second wars imported Mother's Day which by the early sixties had become a commercial fest for card manufacturers.

Keef
30th Mar 2014, 23:23
There's a lot posted about this in various places, and some fascinating theories. It dates from the era when many young folk were "in service". This was the Sunday when their employers were expected to give them a Sunday off to go home to see mum.

It being Sunday, it was hoped that they would go to church with mum as well. Churches being friendly, flowers would be prepared for them to give to mum. That bit, we still do.

Some folks get very "precious" about it being "Mothering Sunday" - not "Mothers Day". Our lot aren't that fussy. Call it whatever appeals to you.

That said, we had a full house this morning, with lots of children who came with mum, and some much older children who brought mum. Many posies were given out.

It's nothing to do with the greetings card manufacturers, although they do of course offer suitable merchandise for those who want it.

Cacophonix
30th Mar 2014, 23:34
Keef

As always, you keep us kind and sane...

Caco

G-CPTN
30th Mar 2014, 23:47
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/Sundayschool.jpg

My primary school in the background, Sunday School parade forming up for the procession to the Abbey (through the park to the right) for Mothering Sunday service.

parabellum
31st Mar 2014, 01:25
Is that Ken Dodd or Michael Bentine more or less middle of picture at the back? ;)

GrumpyOldFart
31st Mar 2014, 12:35
I see there's an arrow lying on the ground - much trouble with the 'Red Indians' around those parts?

:uhoh:

er340790
31st Mar 2014, 15:55
But I was raised by wolves....

blue up
31st Mar 2014, 20:43
Ahh, Bless 'im. My boy is only 7...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/foggythomas/IMG.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/foggythomas/media/IMG.jpg.html)

Yes, he actually talks like that, too! Weird.

G-CPTN
31st Mar 2014, 21:11
Is that Ken Dodd or Michael Bentine more or less middle of picture at the back?I wish I could remember the names (of both the teachers and the children).

I can name two children (brother and sister next to each other) and the first names of the two boys (cousins) directly in front of me - but that's all!

I did meet (and speak to) a primary-school class mate at Tesco today - haven't spoken to him for close on 60 years (when he went off to the secondary modern school). I left the area 50 years ago and moved back 20 years ago.

ricardian
31st Mar 2014, 22:02
Which abbey are they going to?
And I note that some ladies are NOT wearing a hat!