PDA

View Full Version : They shoo(t) horses in NY City. Don't they?...

airship
29th Mar 2014, 20:41
Apparently the current NY mayor wants to get rid of all the horse-drawn carriages used mainly by tourists within the next 2-3 years. Citing cruelty to the horses as a major reason. To be replaced eventually by electric-powered carriages.

I don't know how the horses used for the purpose of pulling carriages there (or elsewhere in the World) are treated, how or where they live and are housed etc. But I'm pretty sure that the mayor has just more or less signed a death sentence on all the NY horsies. It can't be much fun for the horses employed to have to work in the middle of all the traffic and noxious fumes, but perhaps better to "live" than not at all? Unless of course, NY's mayor is going to integrate all the horses into the city's retirement plan with a pension and all that...?!

500N
29th Mar 2014, 20:50
airship

That made the news over here in Aus.

Working horses are like working dogs, they like working !

TomJoad
29th Mar 2014, 20:54
Hope they use legally held guns.:E

Sorry couldn't resist.

edited - would the horses' pensions be final salary?

cavortingcheetah
29th Mar 2014, 20:55
For years there have been placard protestors at Central Park protesting at the plight of the horse that pulls the carriage full of tourists, at considerable expense, around the park and hither and thither. de Blasio, the current successor to Tammany Hall, is in trouble with his own supporters, not the least vocal of which is the AFL/CIO over his proposal.

One wonders whether Chirlane McCray was ever bitten by a nag.

West Coast
29th Mar 2014, 23:11
They'll be sent to the Copenhagen zoo for final disposition.

Did you actually get an American themed thread to stick airship? You haven't had much luck of late with that.

racedo
29th Mar 2014, 23:27
Apparently Mayors plan is to get rid of the horses so he can sell on the stables to wealthy supporters so they can "develop it" and no doubt Mayor will not benefit one iota.

Seems Mayor trying to play the Politically Correct fool has already upset the Jewish and Irish contingents in New York. As they are the Democratic voting base and $$$ contributors then it appears even after such a short time that he will be another David Dinkins..............single term mayor.

Some friends in New York already regret voting him in and made it clear will not make same mistake again.

pigboat
30th Mar 2014, 00:03
One wonders whether Chirlane McCray was ever bitten by a nag.
Self inflicted maybe.

rgbrock1
1st Apr 2014, 13:22
The new mayor of NYC is just as much an ass as the old one. And both share a love for banning anything and everything.

The horse-drawn carriage proposal will fail miserably. I'll bet on that.

Lightning Mate
1st Apr 2014, 16:44
It would be interesting to ask HM The Queen about this.

Not that you would get a reply.

If you foreigners don't know who she is then I pity you.

con-pilot
1st Apr 2014, 16:57
If you foreigners don't know who she is then I pity you.

Know her, shoot I used to live next to her.

She lived in London and I lived next to London. :p

wings folded
1st Apr 2014, 17:43
She lived in London and I lived next to London. :p
I understand that she rarely sets foot in London, Con, she much prefers Windsor which is nextish to London, or Balmoral, which on a global scale is not really that far either.

con-pilot
1st Apr 2014, 17:49
I understand that she rarely sets foot in London, Con, she much prefers Windsor which is nextish to London, or Balmoral, which on a global scale is not really that far either.

Wow, must have been a closer neighbor than I first thought. :p

wings folded
1st Apr 2014, 18:38
In fact, given how close we where, I am slightly vexed that you never dropped in for a beer. :=

Caboclo
1st Apr 2014, 20:55
Cheetah, why does the AFL/CIO care about horses?

fitliker
1st Apr 2014, 21:51
Amazing how many politicians have hidden agendas . Agendas that they are too scared to mention before an election.
"after the election we will be able to do more"

pigboat
1st Apr 2014, 23:15
Amazing how many politicians have hidden agendas . Agendas that they are too scared to mention before an election.
Yes indeedy. Remember that Jack Layton - Gilles Duceppe - Michael Ignatieff coalition? Can you imagine them mentioning that little gimmick before everyone voted? :eek:

BenThere
1st Apr 2014, 23:36
The horses in Central Park have been doing their work at least since I first saw them doing it in the 1960's.

Isn't it emblematic that a Progressive would seek to dismantle an institution like that on some Leftie pretext? Do they ever stop tormenting?

cavortingcheetah
2nd Apr 2014, 02:37
Caboclo:

Further information on the fascinating subject of dog food on the move.

EXCLUSIVE: Unions beg Mayor de Blasio to keep horse carriages - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/exclusive-unions-beg-mayor-de-blasio-horse-carriages-article-1.1717320)

fitliker
2nd Apr 2014, 03:12
That quote was not from Ignatieff , but another over educated ivy school grad who was speaking to Putin when a hot mike picked up his scheming undemocratic promises to the Russian leader.

I love it when Leaders often paraphrase their ideological opposites.

Lenin said "Those who refuse to work will not eat "
Thatcher said " Those who refuse to contribute to society should not expect to share the fruits of others "

I think most of it comes from lazy speech writer's .I listened to one mayor drone on at a chamber of commerce lunch about finding a "final solution" to the towns racial issues. I thought he said it to see who was awake. His previous vocation was as a Professor of political science at UBC.I was waiting for the reference to the coming storm .It would have been funny if it was not such a serious issue in a town where a retired doctor was beaten to death by one of the problems.

Bring back the pillory and put any politician in it that lies, cheats or steals public funds.

pigboat
2nd Apr 2014, 03:53
That quote was not from Ignatieff , but another over educated ivy school grad who was speaking to Putin when a hot mike picked up his scheming undemocratic promises to the Russian leader.

I love hot mikes and politicians. Bob Rae was caught on an open mike observing that Pierre Trudeau made Judas Iscariot look like a team player, and Judy LaMarsh's comment to Paul Hellyer at the 1968 Liberal convention that elected Trudeau as head of the Libs, "You've got to go to Winters, don't let that bastard win it, Paul--he isn't even a Liberal" is a classic. :ok:

con-pilot
2nd Apr 2014, 17:13
I am slightly vexed that you never dropped in for a beer.

I was only 14, mother would not let me drink beer. :(

But I'm making up for that. :p

wings folded
2nd Apr 2014, 17:19
I wouldn't have told her :hmm:

con-pilot
2nd Apr 2014, 17:21
Sure, now you tell me, 52 years later. :p

airship
2nd Apr 2014, 19:48
BenThere wrote: Isn't it emblematic that a Progressive would seek to dismantle an institution like that on some Leftie pretext? Do they ever stop tormenting? Why do you always appear to apparently confuse any/all issues with "Lefties" or similar? In this particular case, I don't really know where you stand (anti-"Leftie" is all, and "true to spirit" of your previous contributions here on JB), yet the subject is about "working horses" as 500N described them and those who work with them. This isn't a simplistic pro/anti-capitalistic subject. Clarify please, or just "trot" or preferably "canter" -off...?! http://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Caboclo
3rd Apr 2014, 00:41
I thought his comment was perfectly clear. De Blasio is trying to shut down an entire industry for being politically incorrect.

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 00:45
"trying to shut down an entire industry for being politically incorrect."

In his or his advisers eyes or some vocal minority that has got in his ear ;)

In other people's eyes, not so much.

my frigging sheep dog would go nuts if I didn't work her and horses are much the same, they like doing something as opposed to just eating hay !!!

Toadstool
3rd Apr 2014, 03:42
Ah, 500N

our resident horse whisperer. :O

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 03:54
Not really, never had much to do with horses :O

Just deal with people who have.

rgbrock1
3rd Apr 2014, 12:57
500N wrote:

Not really, never had much to do with horses

Just deal with people who have.

Ah, but therein lies the conundrum. How do you deal with people who are bona-fide horses' asses?!!! :}

PingDit
3rd Apr 2014, 13:38
With regard to the OP, I guess it beats trying to run them over...

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n608/PingDit/horse.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/PingDit/media/horse.jpg.html)

fitliker
3rd Apr 2014, 13:51
The Vet told a friend that if her horse's hoof got any worse ,they would have to put the horse down.
It had a split hoof and was in constant pain. The Vet tried the hot glue gun from a local hardware store and duct tape . The horse was a pregnant and everyone like her as she was a nice horse.
I got some large cans of apple juice and some packets of gelatine and made some apple jelly for her. The first time she did not know what the jelly was and only sniffed at it ,once she got a taste of it she loved it .
With TLC the hoof did not split any further and the baby was born with the nicest hoofs the Vet has ever seen.
Some horses are well worth the effort.
And they all like apple jelly !