PDA

View Full Version : Woman deaf from birth

Effluent Man
29th Mar 2014, 08:41
Just something that has been puzzling me since I saw the report on the deaf woman who can hear for the first time.How is it that someone who has been unable to hear speaks with the local accent? It was quite strongly Geordie.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Mar 2014, 09:50
Deaf 40-year-old woman hears sound for first time - video | World news | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/mar/28/deaf-40-year-old-women-hears-sound-first-time-video)

Some video/audio here.

Remarkable stuff.

tony draper
29th Mar 2014, 09:58
Geordieness is in the drinking water.:rolleyes:

charliegolf
29th Mar 2014, 12:17
Being totally serious here, whilst recalling Ronnie Barker in an interview. He was absolutely sure that the key to good accent mimicking was the lip/mouth positioning whilst speaking (and he would then give hilarious examples!).

Maybe this lady has learned to speak via lipreading, as most deaf people do, where all the role models are Geordies. Hey presto.

Ronnie was a clever man.

CG

tony draper
29th Mar 2014, 12:29
I understand in the case of people who are no longer able to speak because of a stroke it may not necessarily the mechanical parts of speech ie throat tongue vocal chords that are paralyzed but the part of the brain dealing with speech,as it shows up in deaf people who used sign language lose the ability to sign after a stroke
Strange critter is the human brain
:uhoh:

sitigeltfel
29th Mar 2014, 12:52
That is a true example of what the NHS is good at, and should concentrate on. How many millions have been thrown away on vanity procedures such as tattoo removal, breast enhancements, sex changes and other such bollox?

Wholigan
29th Mar 2014, 13:00
sex changes and other such bollox

I see what you did there! :ok:;)

acbus1
29th Mar 2014, 14:31
That's because you're on the ball.

airship
29th Mar 2014, 15:02
It was quite strongly Geordie.

Deaf and dumb... :uhoh:

Now then, now then, I don't really believe that...

pigboat
29th Mar 2014, 20:37
How many millions have been thrown away on vanity procedures such as tattoo removal, breast enhancements, sex changes and other such bollox?
Well unless they wanted to mount 'em as bookends, they would be thrown away, non? ;)

GrumpyOldFart
29th Mar 2014, 21:38
they would be thrown away, non?

Couldn't they donate them to people going the other way?

:ooh: