PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting DC3T from Antarctica

604guy
26th Mar 2014, 23:38
Did a search and couldn't find this but apologies if posted previously. Brought a tear of joy to the eye it did :)

9ruArctYYbM

Coagie
27th Mar 2014, 00:32
Glad they didn't write her off. The DC-3 has withstood the test of time. A design triumph!

BEagle
27th Mar 2014, 12:58
This would make an excellent documentary on Discovery or similar.

A fantastic effort in very harsh conditions. Good to see that the easy option of writing the aircraft off wasn't taken! But repairs must have cost a fortune :eek:!!

Herod
27th Mar 2014, 15:39
They mention that Lidia was used in the rescue of Mia. I think there's a video of that as well. You can't keep a good DC3 down.

54Phan
27th Mar 2014, 17:46
There was an American C-130 which spent quite a long time buried in the snow before being salvaged and put back into service.

India Four Two
29th Mar 2014, 03:25
"OK guys. Today's job is to go to Antartica, live in tents and rebuild a DC-3 in the open air. No problem."

What a fantastic achievement. Is there a write-up of this somewhere? I would be interested to know what the temperatures were. In some of the shots, it looks positively balmy by polar standards.

Ken Borek Air is a remarkable company.

Nopax,thanx
29th Mar 2014, 22:50
Another factor to consider is that it's now quite a bad thing to litter the Antarctic with bits of broken aeroplanes (which is why the DH Otter was recovered by the Brits a few years back) which might also explain the effort put in to rescue this old bird.

Anyway, hats off to 'em

barit1
30th Mar 2014, 02:17
Hey - they're Canadians, used to snow & wind, eh?

I am surprised they didn't build a hockey rink while they did the rivet job. :ok:

clunckdriver
30th Mar 2014, 23:17
They did build a rink, the guys from Toronto lost! {Again/still}

Dak Man
2nd Apr 2014, 13:20
I've driven worse so I think I could fly it out of there........

Russian C-47 Dakota Found In Siberia | English Russia (http://englishrussia.com/2012/07/23/russian-c-47-dakota-found-in-siberia/)