PDA

View Full Version : netscape messenger problem

olderairhead
18th May 2002, 07:29
I have edited this post to more accurately describe what is happening.

Probably a simple solution, but it has me beat.

This problem occurs when I first start netscape messenger.

Just returned from a 2 week trip and the kids have somehow changed the settings so that instead of showing my browser homepage in the bottom right panel, it remains blank, then a new window opens with the homepage.

I also get the window changing from "Inbox" to "Redirect Messenger Start - Inbox - Netscape Folder" (as shown at the top left of the window)

I have searched preferences with no success.
I have also searched help also with no success.

It is driving me crazy. Please help before the kids "get it"

:confused:

olderairhead
20th May 2002, 08:22
Well, the kids "got it" and the wife is next.

I need HELP ..............now!

please

:confused:

FL310
20th May 2002, 14:55
as much as I like to help you....I don't see what is wrong and what you had set earlier.

What happens on your machine is exactly what happens to everyone after installing Netscape Communicator on any computer. That is the "standard" setup.

The messenger consists of three frames, left the folders, top right the received messages and bottom right the preview window.

The extra window opening is actually the browser.

:confused: :confused:

olderairhead
20th May 2002, 23:14
FL310 I agree. But the browser opening up over messenger and then having to close it again was not what I wanted. Preferences could not fix the problem.

I tried a complete reinstall with no success.

So next I saved my user profiles to another directory, deleted netscape altogether, reinstalled netscaped and then moved only the Mail content into the netcapse folder.

This then rectified the problem.

Seems the lipref.js and prefs.js folders were the culprits that caused my initial problem.

So the good news is the wife is OK, the kids "live" and I am no longer going insane. Well almost.

:D :D :D