PDA

View Full Version : Winning isn't everything

racedo
26th Mar 2014, 13:25
BBC News - Richard Durkin wins 16-year laptop credit wrangle with HFC bank (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26731192)

Bet he is life and soul of the party..............

Frankly he has chucked probably 20% of his life away fighting a pointless cause so he can claim he was right.

Vercingetorix
26th Mar 2014, 13:30
I think he was fighting, amongst the other matters, for the right to have his credit rating restored therefore enabling him to get a mortgage.

maliyahsdad2
26th Mar 2014, 13:37
I think he was fighting, amongst the other matters, for the right to have his credit rating restored therefore enabling him to get a mortgage.

In 2008 Aberdeen Sheriff Court ruled that he was entitled to reject the laptop and cancel the sale and the credit agreement and awarded damages of 116,000.

The decision was overturned later by judges at the Court of Session in Edinburgh when Mr Durkin himself appealed against that figure. Oh dear hoisted etc...

116000 in 2008, he probably wouldn't have needed much of a Mortgage!

racedo
26th Mar 2014, 15:26

He bankrupted himself doing this.

And after 6 years whatever was nasty on your credit rating disappears.

Smacks as almost a desperation to be proven right irrespective of the personal cost and I believe it was substantial.

Limeygal
26th Mar 2014, 15:36
I was told once-You can be right or you can be happy-but what if being right makes you happy??

Evanelpus
26th Mar 2014, 17:51
Winning isn't Everything?

Blimey, if I'd have said that to my mental PE teacher at school, I would have felt the sole of a gym shoe called Fred across the back of my head.:(

axefurabz
26th Mar 2014, 23:22
Frankly he has chucked probably 20% of his life away fighting a pointless cause so he can claim he was right.

Do it full-time did he?

He bankrupted himself doing this.

No he didn't - why not read the report you've linked?

racedo
27th Mar 2014, 00:40
Case has been going on for weeks and it was reported as case was starting that he had gone bankrupted 10 years ago because of it.

He is now stating that he has 250k in debts and pretty much nothing to pay it.

As for did he do it full time
This battle has dominated 16 years of his life and the stress it has caused him is clear in his eyes.

Doesn't matter whether he was doing it full time, he was carrying it for 16 years in his head.

acbus1
27th Mar 2014, 09:08
I take my hat off to the bloke. I wouldn't have destroyed my life (assuming that to be true in this case) doing what he did. It shouldn't be nesessary.

cattletruck
27th Mar 2014, 11:32
Is he a victim of the scourge of the modern day victim playing mentality.

If only he knew how many months public servants keep the "too hard" items in their in-tray he would have gotten on with his life. Now he is playing the debt victim.

Make your own bed etc, etc.