PDA

View Full Version : Desktop settings

boofhead
18th May 2002, 06:55
I have an old VGA Graphics card in the AGP slot and am trying to use it on a Win98 system but using the default Windows driver. I cannot change the colours and screen area, they are stuck on 16 colours and 640 x 480. I guess this is because the driver is not working for the card. When I start the computer it tells me there is no adaptor, and I guess this is because it does not recognise the display adaptor.

What can I try to get the pc to recognise the adaptor and change the display settings? Am I forced to buy a new card? I cannot identify any name on the present one, other than FC, which does not come up on a search.

The more I know about computers, the less I know. Sort of like flying....

FL310
18th May 2002, 10:29
very often you can see, just after switching on the PC, still at the first screen you get, which BIOS you have and below that it displays the graphics adapter.
One more thing, can you identify the chip on your adapter, most of the time a driver for that one will do the job.

One question....your adapter appears to be AGP type 1...is your motherboard also type 1 or type 2 or even 3?

boofhead
19th May 2002, 16:54
The slot appears to be a Type 1 according to the BIOS. Cannot identify the card though. How can it report 'No Adapter' yet still display on the monitor? And why won't the Windows generic driver work? I can see the people who make the software getting together on breaks and laughing about how they have managed to defy logic once again and make a system that is impossible to understand. Probably is harder to do it the way they do than to make it simple, but where would be the fun in that?

Thanks for the info anyway..