PDA

View Full Version : 2013/2014 salary check

Pilot Positive
23rd Mar 2014, 15:44
Hi All,

Does anyone have any current credible sources of info for salaries in the BizJet sector for both experienced FOs and Captains? I know this is a subjective question as it will depend on where you are based, aircraft type and what is defined as "experience" as well as the nature of the operator.

However, the info i have so far is so broad it completely misleads the situation - you would think the research had been sponsored by employers in attempt to keep wages low! :rolleyes:

Any input welcome - Thanks

PP :cool:

Vallesan
23rd Mar 2014, 17:54
As you mentioned is very variable depend on location and type of operation.

but you can use the pilot salary survey on pro pilot magazine does it every year
http://www.safetystanddown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Salary-study-6-12-lyt_June.pdf
Contents-June 2013 (http://www.propilotmag.com/archives/2013/June%2013/content_June13.html)

some pilots are kind enough to share their current situation like in the USA some examples:
Lear 45 Charter:
F/O is $39,000 $49,000, $57,000
Captain is $63,000 $75,000 $90,000

Lear 45 Corporate:
F/O is $47,000 $58,000, $66,000
Captain is $72,000 $92,000 $98,000

G550 Charter:
F/O is $59,000 $78,000, $90,000
Captain is $105,000 $134,000 $148,000

G550 Corporate:
F/O is $78,000 $91,000 $105,000
Captain is $110,000 $144,000 $183,000

let me tell you mi sad story i'm a mexican pilot 34 years old, with 5100 TT, i'm flying for a private operator acting as PIC in a G-IV and also an Embraer lineage (E-190) we fly allover the world mostly the USA and SOUTH AMERICA and i'm making 80,000.00 usd a year, i have both type ratings in ICAO and FAA licenses.

Off course i know pilots in mexico making twice than me, but you have to wait till some of those jobs become available.

So if anyone knows a position available worldwide, send me a PM where to send my CV.

best regards.

noneya
23rd Mar 2014, 18:47
Try the 2013 Pro Pilot Magazine - Salary Survey - it is in the August edition. Next one will be out in August 2014.

J

deefer dog
24th Mar 2014, 23:09
Guys, there are still many pilots out of work in Europe, but I'm not really up to speed on what is happening in US. I'm sure is a similar outlook over there. Every day I get CV's from well qualified pilots and I have nothing to offer them.

Asking for "average" salaries and conditions is a wasted exercise in my opinion. You are simply worth what someone who has a vacancy will offer you. If there aint no jobs for what you are typed on you are worth nothing!

Bleating on and on about qualifications, hours and experience will not get you anywhere; all the while hundreds or thousands of pilots are out of work there will be many thousands who will do the job for less, and can you really blame them?

I've worked for peanuts previously and was glad to get paid something doing what I LOVE to do. For goodness sake if you have a job, stop complaining........you have a salary, you are doing what you WANT to do, you are putting bread on the table when thousands of your colleagues have no income at all.

As for comparing salaries that is a fruitless exercise. There are so many variables, so many different types of employers and so many pilots who bull**** about their wages that the info you get back is highly likely to be nonsense anyway.

Why do so many people here keep asking the same old questions about salaries? Do they need a guide book to tell them what they think they are worth? :ugh:

Klimax
24th Mar 2014, 23:46
Deefer dog, you're right about getting what you pay for. A good solid pilot, and employee, will sooner or later realise his worth and look elsewhere, when he can or want to. As right, as you are, regarding supply and demand, it has to be appreciated that the most attractive candidates will look for the most attractive positions to fill, and almost certainly does pay and other monetary conditions place a role. Just because you do what you WANT, doesn't mean your employer should abuse this.
You pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.

Pilot positive is curious and wants a guidance for the going rate for a biz jet job these days, knowing the variables.

this is my username
25th Mar 2014, 14:05
I have no personal interest in this, but looking at the 2012 Pro Pilot data in the link above they had about 1,000 valid survey forms returned and there appear to be about 300 different categories of job / aircraft covered in the survey which works out at somewhere in the region of 3 questionnaires returned per job / aircraft line item. Whilst it is better than nothing it doesn't give the impression of statistical validity.

Captain Kaboom
25th Mar 2014, 19:05
Hee Vallesan,

That money at that age, you must be the king in Mexico...

It is about quality in life, I think you USD 80.000 has a lot more dough then in my part in the world.
No offense, sounds like a good deal to me.

FrankR
26th Mar 2014, 01:33
Pro Pilot publishes in their magazine, Avcrew publishes every other year (I think), and their survey is free if you participate and they find you credible, and NBAA has a big production that is around 200 USD.

- If anyone has the PDF of the NBAA survey, I'd love to get a copy from you.

I've found that the surveys are close, and give you a good ballpark. The variance is minimal in my opinion. As always, your milage will vary. If you want to know what you are worth, go interview at 5 outfits, take the best option. The 20,000 USD paid in HK may not be as good as 11,000 USD paid in Miami, if you have family in FLA.... -just sayin.

FR

MAVERICK#
28th Mar 2014, 00:38
Frank, I could not have put it better myself.

I totally agree, enough money but quality of life also.:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Pilot Positive
28th Mar 2014, 07:51
Thanks to all who responded. I guess there is always a balance of pay v quality of life. I also hear the likes of Deefer Dog who says we are lucky to be employed. True. Very true - we all know other pilots who are not as fortunate and privileged as ourselves. :(

However the reality is that we are employed and working for nothing and for simply the "the joy of it" neither pays the domestic bills/children's schooling or helps those trying to get their first job and pay off their training loans. It only serves the purpose of the shareholders, owners and those who choose to undermine the value of what we do. :hmm:

Being a pilot is a profession and has a value...just like any other profession you care to think of. :cool: My initial post was asking what value (i.e salary) should i assign for the skill i seek and from those who have that skill. How should they be rewarded for hard work and merit in the environment that we ask them to operate within - specifically European pilots who work on Bizjets globally.

Any other objective indicators of salary may allow me to form the right picture to help reward a pilot fairly....so all input is welcome. :)

Thanks. :ok:

PP. :cool: