PDA

View Full Version : I am confused!!

Cornish Jack
22nd Mar 2014, 23:39
Not an unusual condition, especially as far as computers are concerned;)
Situation - 2 computers (W7) and a Nexus tablet. One D-link router, Ethernet cabled to one and wifi'ed to the other and the Nexus. Cabled machine constantly dropped out and now won't connect at all (on all 4 ports), other and Nexus happily wifi-ing via same router. Cabled machine picking up unidentified local outlet but won't/can't log onto the Net. W7 machines have 4 and 8 GB RAM.
Anyone care to take a punt at WTF is going on, please? ... An expert's drop-goal explanation would be even more welcome!!
TIA

Saab Dastard
23rd Mar 2014, 00:10
Cabled machine picking up unidentified local outlet

What on earth does that mean? Do you mean that the PC has both a wireless and a wired connection running at the same time? That would be an unhappy situation.

SD

Cornish Jack
23rd Mar 2014, 03:13
SD - thank you for the reply ... No, not ONE machine running wired and WiFi simultaneously. One running WiFi (successfully) and another connected via Ethernet cable (and failing ) to the SAME D-link router. Tried different cable - same result. Have ordered new router but would like to try to understand why this is happening.

le Pingouin
23rd Mar 2014, 05:18
Have you tried removing the networking (via control panel) on the PC having trouble with ethernet? Sometimes that can go haywire and removal/reinstallation is the easiest way to solve the problem.

Have you tried a reset of the router? You'll need to re-configure it (usernames, passwords and any other setting changes you've made).

Cornish Jack
23rd Mar 2014, 08:10
Thank you le P.
Yes, tried a reset but no improvement. The thing I find most puzzling is that the same router can work OK for some weeks on both WiFi and wired connection but now fails on the wired version ONLY.
VERY odd things, computers!!

mixture
23rd Mar 2014, 08:39
Cabled machine picking up unidentified local outlet

Do you mean you're getting that thing in Windows that says "unidentified network" ?

henry_crun
23rd Mar 2014, 09:18
oDZVDYOw7x4

Democritus
23rd Mar 2014, 10:05
Do you mean that the PC has both a wireless and a wired connection running at the same time? That would be an unhappy situation.

SD

Willing to be educated on this as I have my PC running both as I have a wireless printer. What are the unhappy implications?

mixture
23rd Mar 2014, 11:03
Willing to be educated on this as I have my PC running both as I have a wireless printer. What are the unhappy implications?

None, as long as you don't use DHCP (or otherwise set a default gateway) on both.

Two connections, both with a default gateway is where unhappiness starts.

Democritus
23rd Mar 2014, 14:24
Thanks for that, mixture - I can relax!

cattletruck
23rd Mar 2014, 14:34
Could it be the ethernet cable itself? I don't think they put those link lights on the ethernet sockets anymore making it a little more complex in diagnosing cable issues.

Cornish Jack
23rd Mar 2014, 19:57
Thanks to all.
Yes, Mixture - "unidentified network" displayed on the wired machine and it won't connect. The other WiFi connected machine identifies the D-Link router and works OK, as does the Nexus, which I'm using here. That's what I find confusing ... Same router, different computers, different results.

Cornish Jack
25th Mar 2014, 11:28
Just an update - this being posted on the problem machine!:ok:
Google-ing the message produced some 19 pages of similar sufferers and a variety of solutions - none of which worked for me.:uhoh: Cabled connection to the router still doesn't work, but using an old wireless adaptor does ... but required an extremely convoluted series of actions to produce a result. Many thanks to a chap in the 'States' who took an ancient adaptor to pieces to check the workings and chased up a suitable set of drivers for it ... quite amazing!
Still no idea what has caused the problem and the ever-helpful MS have, so far, managed to avoid recognising that there IS such a problem:ugh:
Hey Ho! Onwards and downwards to the next hiccup.:(