Hangar6
22nd Mar 2014, 20:25
Had this exact same conversation this very morning with herself at 4am, :D

4mastacker
22nd Mar 2014, 20:26
So! Where is it now?

tony draper
22nd Mar 2014, 20:31
Love to see that translated into a Chinese instruction manual then translated back.
:E

spInY nORmAn
22nd Mar 2014, 20:36
For some reason as I watched this video, this also came to mind:

RXJKdh1KZ0w

mattpilot
22nd Mar 2014, 20:41
So! Where is it now?

Obviously where it was and where it shouldn't be.....

Lon More
22nd Mar 2014, 20:42
my brain hurts!

tony draper
22nd Mar 2014, 20:54
I reckon the Pentagon put that together for a Committee of Congress.
"Right gentlemen I hope you all understood that"?
"Ere.... yes of course we did"
"Good sign this requisition please"
:rolleyes:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Mar 2014, 21:36
This is based on a description I remember reading about the Skyflash guidance, at least 25 years ago. It finished
"Thus, by knowing where the target wasn't, isn't and won't be, the missile generally avoids these bits of airspace and so hits the target."
It suspect the words date back to a Sparrow description in the 1960s.

Hydromet
22nd Mar 2014, 22:01
So that's clear, then. The hurrier you go, the behinder you get.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2014, 22:47
Surely for a missile there was a infinity of places it wasn't but only one place it was and a infinity of places it shouldn't be and one place it should ie the target.
:uhoh:

ricardian
22nd Mar 2014, 22:48
When I found out that the intertial guidance system of the Thor intercontinental ballistic missile was produced by the AC Spark Plug Company I began to worry

Mechta
22nd Mar 2014, 23:06
The OP reminds me of this:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

mattpilot
22nd Mar 2014, 23:48
thats the clearest explanation of cricket i have ever gotten.... thanks

airship
23rd Mar 2014, 00:35
ACHTUNG! V1, V2...rotate! Oh Scheisse! The Americans got all our shite...

PS. The manuals for peace-time German-manufactured goods (especially pumps etc.) are much more clearer... :ok:

GrumpyOldFart
23rd Mar 2014, 01:29
Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

Could someone please explain American 'football' as clearly as this?

Flash2001
23rd Mar 2014, 01:50
F3

When they test fired the Sparrow, the safest place to be was in the target drone!

After an excellent landing etc...

innuendo
23rd Mar 2014, 03:04
This sounds very much like the explanation of how INS worked when it was coming into use.
Perhaps that dates me, :bored:

airship
23rd Mar 2014, 03:15
The simple explanation for why I'm still awake now (past 4am) is that it rained this morning, and I just love sleeping whilst hearing the rain falling down. Which is why I only finally woke up at just before 2pm this Saturday.

alisoncc
23rd Mar 2014, 03:23
PS. The manuals for peace-time German-manufactured goods (especially pumps etc.) are much more clearer... :ok:Like this:-

ACHTUNG - ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

hei yu
23rd Mar 2014, 05:35
Obviously spoken by a Rumsfeld scholar

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Ascend Charlie
23rd Mar 2014, 05:51
Surely for a missile there was a infinity of places it wasn't but only one place it was and a infinity of places it shouldn't be and one place it should ie the target.

And that is precisely why it is called a Missile.

If it knew where it WAS, it would be a HITTILE.:}

Pinky the pilot
23rd Mar 2014, 06:42
So now we all know just where Monty Python und der Flying Circus got their ideas from!:E

charliegolf
23rd Mar 2014, 08:30
I always wondered who Donald Rumsfeld worked for after Gee Dub.

CG

acbus1
23rd Mar 2014, 09:03
The Unknown Known Trailer - YouTube

Errol Morris

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Mar 2014, 09:09
This sounds very much like the explanation of how INS worked when it was coming into use.
Perhaps that dates me,

I recall testing an early INS, it was about as big as the side of a small shed bolted to the inside of the fuselage of a freighter, and took about 30 mins. to initialise, then it showed that we had moved 1/2 mile South, and 1 mile West, i.e. taxied from where we started to the end of the runway for take-off.

I thought it was very clever.

IMHO INS was the biggest progress in aviation on my lifetime.

Just read a report by a journalist "expert" writing about the Malaysian aircraft mystery - he described it as INTERNAL Navigation System, Ah well, journalists. But then - as we carried it inside the aircraft I guess it was Internal ? :{

Lon More
23rd Mar 2014, 11:03
should have been on Mastermind

Professor Stanley Unwin On BBC "Mastermind" - YouTube

mattpilot
23rd Mar 2014, 13:15
this seems relevant

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/200000/10000/1000/300/211322/211322.strip.sunday.gif

ORAC
23rd Mar 2014, 15:22
2rWmpgWHG_0

hU0QZQRTNr0

nFO5nAw-bY8

RedhillPhil
23rd Mar 2014, 20:59
I think that this explains it rather well.

Funniest Scientist Ever! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVtzJZd5VQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=0)