PDA

View Full Version : Nautical Oopsie

Caboclo
21st Mar 2014, 23:00
Lifeboat sinks with vessel during exercise - The Valdez Star (http://www.valdezstar.net/story/2014/03/05/main-news/lifeboat-sinks-with-vessel-during-exercise/490.html)

What is the correct way to secure a lifeboat to a ship such that it doesn't blow away in bad weather, but still comes detached sharpish when needed?

How often does a "near-shore" exercise involve 1200 feet of water? I'm no sailor, but that seems like a fair bit.

What's the pointy, torpedo-looking thing on deck? Actually, this is Alaska we're talking about...:eek:

C-dog
22nd Mar 2014, 01:04
A small craft like this doesn't carry a lifeboat, the Zodiac is an inflatable workboat which would seem to have been tied too securely alongside. Just when you wished your sailor's knot wasn't so good..................!! Don't know the geology of the local area and 1200ft might be a typo or journalistic licence. However in a Norwegian fjord for instance you don't have to go too far off the beach to be in 1200ft of water. The torpedo thingy must be part of the oil spill equipment - on the 2nd photo it's not there.

lomapaseo
22nd Mar 2014, 01:37
Is the TSA somehow involved to the point where no crewman was allowed to carry a sharp object aboard to cut loose the zodiac ?

500N
22nd Mar 2014, 01:42
Break down of sops ?

RJM
22nd Mar 2014, 02:28
From https://dec.alaska.gov/spar/perp/pwspor/pwspor01portvaldez.pdf

Maximum Water Depths: 133 Fathoms (max. in the Port), 25 Fathoms (max. at identified POR- Valdez Marine Terminal)

133 fathoms = 798ft. Still fairly deep. The bottom is mud, so they might be able to get the boat and the Zodiac back.

SawMan
22nd Mar 2014, 06:22
While not a "lifeboat" per se, a Zodiac is often used in a dual-purpose role being that and the ship's dinghy combined. It's a practical solution to space and cost issues and generally works well enough. Keeping it well-secured is an entirely different matter, even without considering it being quickly and easily released too. It's easy to solidly lash a solid object but as you leave that solidity, the security of lashing decreases with it if said lashing itself is to not harm the object. Hint: Netting can be handy and it's release fast if there is but one line securing the entire netting. I'd have the Zodiac's painter coiled under it and attached to the craft with easily-released knots at both ends as well.

As has been mentioned a pocket-knife is a necessary item on any boat or ship. Get a sailor's model- a marlin-spike for knots, a single blade for cutting and nothing else to get in the way and slow you down when speed is essential. Use it's built-in ring to secure it to your belt- not a belt-loop on your pants- in a position where either hand can access it. Keep it well sharpened and learn it's correct and safe use. Learn your knots too- especially this- as they are all needed and used all over a ship and your life may depend on them!

500N
22nd Mar 2014, 06:48
Sawman,

We used to carry spyderco knives, serrated blade that is hard to blunt and a huge thumb hold for opening - helpful when hands are cold or wearing gloves.

chksix
22nd Mar 2014, 08:58
They should have a life raft on the deck house roof.
And I like the quote that the ship went down with the zodiac. That's a heavy inflatable boat!

John Hill
22nd Mar 2014, 10:08
A hydrostatic release for any permanently stowed life raft is not a silly idea and making a practice of tying the painter of a towed raft or dinghy to one might be a good idea too but as a first step learn to tie knots that can always be released without tools and in the dark if necessary.

Fliegenmong
22nd Mar 2014, 10:19
.....At least they were probably licenced......:E

John Hill
22nd Mar 2014, 10:25
I expect our little troll with his red pencil will be along soon.

Mechta
22nd Mar 2014, 14:54
In the Scouts we were recommended to use the Highwaysman's hitch when a rapid departure could be needed. Only a loop goes around the securing post, so there is no danger of the tail of the rope catching.

Highwayman's Hitch | How to tie the Highwayman's Hitch | Various Knots (http://www.animatedknots.com/highwaymans/)

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Mar 2014, 18:45
We used to carry spyderco knives, serrated blade that is hard to blunt and a huge thumb hold for opening - helpful when hands are cold or wearing gloves.

Always found the serrated blades a bugger to keep sharp and they clogged very quickly, usually requiring a bit of sawing. Razor sharp straight edge takes one or two slashes and the job's done.

Agree with the single hand opening concept but it's banned in some countries for some strange reason. Useful when you have to hold an article that requires cutting while taking out and opening the knife. Also, lock blades are a must. A Pom mate cut his thumb off sawing at a chunk of biltong with a non locking blade when it slipped and closed on his hand. I'm very wary around non locking blades for good reason.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2014, 18:54
Take you a while to hack through some of the ropes I remember,chainsaw might do it swiftly enough.
:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Mar 2014, 20:36
I think Mr Nitro refers to painters and other light bits of string, rather than hawsers Admiral D.

Anything thicker than the wrist of a paper shuffler, ranger or a young girl would be better dealt with using a cutting charge if it needed to be severed. More fun too....:E

lomapaseo
22nd Mar 2014, 21:20
While towing the Trieste in seas we stationed a rating 24 hours next to the tow with an axe.

Dumb me had to ask why and was advise that with all that aviation fuel aboard we didn't want it to come loose without us knowing and hazard other shipping.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2014, 21:29
Would have though something like a Guillotine collar fitted round the tow line would be be par for the course now
We used em on pneumatic tube cash transport systems where the tube went through a fire wall.
:)

ex_matelot
22nd Mar 2014, 22:27
The RN use RFD hooks. One yank on a lanyard and the hook opens - releasing the seaboat.