PDA

View Full Version : Are there any restrictions on umbrellas?

Quartz-1
21st Mar 2014, 19:04
I'm flying soon, travelling on Easyjet and BA, and since it might be wet at my destination I was thinking of taking an umbrella. Easyjet's policy is here (http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/cabin-baggage) and I'm hoping Ppruners can confirm that full-sized umbrellas are okay and they don't just mean the small ones. On at least one flight I will be in an escape row if it makes any difference.

defizr
21st Mar 2014, 19:28
Not unless it's a Bulgarian umbrella.

HamishMcBush
21st Mar 2014, 20:50
Nope, your umbrella must fit in your hand luggage. I used to fly regularly and take a "golf umbrella" in my hand luggage as an extra carry-on item with no issues at all in the 1990's but nowadays it has to fit in your hand luggage... so a small-ish telescopic one is about the best you can get :(

Pilot.Lyons
21st Mar 2014, 20:54
Wow .......

crewmeal
22nd Mar 2014, 06:54
You can buy them at Poundland, not sure how much they cost though....:ugh:

DaveReidUK
22nd Mar 2014, 07:39
And remember - just like your lifejacket - don't deploy it while you're still inside the aircraft. :O

Basil
22nd Mar 2014, 14:15
don't deploy it while you're still inside the aircraft
As a child in Scotland I heard a conundrum:
"Whit can go up a lum doon but cannae come doon a lum up?" :}

Quartz-1
22nd Mar 2014, 14:56
Thanks everyone. I'll take the small umbrella.

Pegpilot
22nd Mar 2014, 19:39
True story - Oxford Circus tube station a few years ago on a rainy day - public address announcement on the Central Line platform - "Here's a message for the lady on platform 4 with her umbrella up - it doesn't rain underground....."

1DC
1st Apr 2014, 18:30
I came back from Oz at the weekend with a full size umbrella in my hand baggage. No comment at check in, security or on board. I had a window seat and just lay it on the floor with the handle hooked around the support for the seat in front. No one said a word although i was in business which shouldn't have made any difference. I was concerned before the flight and checked the airlines rules, it just said a sharp pointed umbrella would not be allowed..

spannersatcx
2nd Apr 2014, 07:52
I was denied entry through security carrying a full sized brolly! A small telescopic one in your hand luggage is less of a danger! :ugh: